Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Default Estes Interceptor Skin Themes

When I was developing the belly art for the TBird the same "long neck" moniker struck me, too...and made me start thinking about a "short" version of the Interceptor. In fact, way back in the early 70's I had a "recovery anomaly" and had to slice about 3" off an Interceptor...I just drilled a hole in the nosecone (it was a two piece injection molded part back then) and jammed some clay into it to pass a "string test" and continued to fly it for a couple more years. Back then, I though it looked strange in its "shortened" version.

While I was working the TBird I pondered the desirability of a NASA-themed skin. Let me know if you guys have any real interest in it. The Blue Angels skin is in the queue but "on hold" while I finish a few other projects. Any and all suggestions for future themes or models to develop skins for is welcomed! Oh, the TBird skin is available both with a choice of very, very subtle Chameleon pattern and in stark white without the pattern.

Though I may be biased, the "Phantom Chameleon" theme (pale gray base with pale gray Chameleon pattern blocks) for both the Interceptor and the Cosmic Interceptor are particularly attractive

If any of you have ordered skins this week, there will be a slight delay (hopefully not much more than 5 days) while I order stock and produce more. I also have had a job change (along with the associated training) that has hindered me a bit.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

Just a few tips...

If you already have an Interceptor and want to use one of my skins, it's best to apply the skin as you build the model. The body wrap has all the wing/rudder/fin lines and you would also have to cut the body wrap into various shapes to fit a pre-assembled model...though with a bit of care it's not difficult. The best way to build and skin the Interceptor (in either size) is to assemble the wings and rudders (and apply a couple of coats of filler/paint to them to give the skin adhesive a better bonding surface...complete wood grain removal is not required) and skin them, trimming the skin flush with the root edges. Then skin the body, cut away the skin along the wing/rudder/fin lines and then glue the wings/fins/rudders in place and wipe away any glue that may squeeze out.

The last few Interceptor/Interceptor E/Vindicators I have built have all been built without significant fillets. The model just looks "sharper" without them. The through-the-wall construction of the larger Interceptors and the very long root edges (even on the 1250 Interceptor without through the wall wings/rudders) give ample strength. I have flown my 1250 on a D21 without any problems.

John Pursley