Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
First hit on Google shows all 3 types I see at the local mega-party stores.

http://www.pacon.com/paper_products..._deco-puffs.php

Hmm... on that site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.pacon.com
Kolorfast® DecoPuffs™
Brightly colored, flame retardant, time saving pre-cut tissue squares...

Package quantity 300 sheets of 5.5"x5.5" squares. Another handy Google search brings up:

http://teachersemporiumcatalog.com/...AC58018&mid=166

... where they are selling this stuff for $3.89 per package. That's about $0.013 per sheet!

Gotta find some of this stuff.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Master Modeler

Suggestion:

If this stuff is Made In China, test the flame-retardency of this stuff before you use it.

(Outside, over pavement, water bucket on hand, yadda-yadda.)

No, I don't have any specific information to base my suspicions on. I'm just suggesting caution.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Everything is Made In China. I do plan to test it.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
You seem to be mixing/confusing the terms "crepe paper" and "tissue paper". They are different materials (similar, but different like a Chihuahua and a Golden Retriever). Quest uses a flame resistant/treated tissue, not crepe paper.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tissue-paper.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-crepe-paper.htm

Actually, I'm not confused....as per your links, "and crepe paper is also a variety of tissue paper". The only difference is the wrinkles (creped). Some of the squares that you can buy at party and hobby stores are wrinkled/creped, so you can actually buy squares of crepe paper. The name has become a generic word referring to both the streamer and both smooth and creped square materials used for decorations much like Kleenex or Vaselene have become generic terms in many parts of the country for facial tissue and petroleum jelly.

You should spend more time flying rockets instead of trying to correct every tiny little detail which adds absolutely nothing in this conversation except to belittle us and put yourself on a pedestal. The only things that are important here is that he can purchase any variety of the stuff cheap in bulk and it is all treated for flame resistance because of its intended purpose for decorations.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching since 1970.

You completely misinterpreted my message and wentr for the most negative possible meaning, which says to me that you read everything looking to start a fight. If that is the case, simply stop reading my messages.

Quest wadding is "tissue paper" and has not been 'creped' or wrinkled/accordian folded. You said "Why cut when you can buy it in squares? Crepe paper squares are available in many craft stores. That's what Quest sells as wadding now. It's the stuff that people stuff into chicken wire to build parade floats. Pick your favorite wadding color and run with it." and all I did was post links to additional information on tissue and crepe paper.

I said:
You seem to be mixing/confusing the terms "crepe paper" and "tissue paper". They are different materials (similar, but different like a Chihuahua and a Golden Retriever). Quest uses a flame resistant/treated tissue, not crepe paper.

and what I said is correct. crepe paper is a wrinkled form of tissue paper and Quest sells tissue paper wadding, not crepe paper wadding.

There is nothing to argue about. It is a simple fact.

Please stop personally attacking me for providing factual information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Actually, I'm not confused....as per your links, "and crepe paper is also a variety of tissue paper". The only difference is the wrinkles (creped). Some of the squares that you can buy at party and hobby stores are wrinkled/creped, so you can actually buy squares of crepe paper. The name has become a generic word referring to both the streamer and both smooth and creped square materials used for decorations much like Kleenex or Vaselene have become generic terms in many parts of the country for facial tissue and petroleum jelly.

You should spend more time flying rockets instead of trying to correct every tiny little detail which adds absolutely nothing in this conversation except to belittle us and put yourself on a pedestal. The only things that are important here is that he can purchase any variety of the stuff cheap in bulk and it is all treated for flame resistance because of its intended purpose for decorations.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've seen you get your kicks correcting folks over nitpicky things for a long time over on TRF. People get tired of it, especially when you go for minutia like this.

The only difference in the two papers is wrinkles, and the "crepe" name has long since become a generic name for all the colored tissue type papers used for decorations, whether in streamers, squares, or sheets.

BTW, that wasn't a personal attack. You yourself said it wasn't worth arguing about, therefore there was no reason for you to have thrown in your unwanted two cents worth of nitpicky crap.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Ok everyone, let's play nice. I'm not going to go into over-moderation mode like another popular rocketry forum. I expect everyone to act civilized and just click the next key instead of replying. I saw nothing overtly outrageous in anyone's post so it's not worth deleting.

If I saw something like hate speech, swearing, things like that, that would warrant deletion of the post.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Launching since 1970.

Can anyone else read these clearly? Is there another conflicting definition or are people just making up their own terminology, like Moe on the Simpsons deciding to call a carport a "car hole"?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Launching since 1970.

Obviously you do not frequent TRF much. Or were you banned from there for posting responses like these intended to start arguments?

Here is a tip: When someone posts information accompanied by a link to the source of the facts, it is not polite to attack them for providing information. If the information is provided to clarify the use of terminology, do not take it as a personal insult to you. Simply say something like "thanks, I did not know that" or just don't say anything at all.

Try to have a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've seen you get your kicks correcting folks over nitpicky things for a long time over on TRF. People get tired of it, especially when you go for minutia like this.

The only difference in the two papers is wrinkles, and the "crepe" name has long since become a generic name for all the colored tissue type papers used for decorations, whether in streamers, squares, or sheets.

BTW, that wasn't a personal attack. You yourself said it wasn't worth arguing about, therefore there was no reason for you to have thrown in your unwanted two cents worth of nitpicky crap.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm surprised Shreadvector did not throw in his famous last words of "Did you call the manufacturer and ask" as to whether or not it is crepe or tissue paper.
Quips such as those he usually posts on that other hideously over-moderated forum are usually about as useful as typical smart-alecky cracks from 12 year old children.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !