Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
SSRS Alumni (No, the other SSRS)

Default Anyone need C11-x engines?

I have a supply of C11-0, -3, -5, and -7 engines that are available. I hear that Estes is bringing this engine back, but if you need them now I have a decent quanity of most varieties.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Forest Sprite

Whoever you sell them to will have to come and pick them up or meet you somewhere, because you can't ship them. Bummer.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 AM
SSRS Alumni (No, the other SSRS)

Yea, thanks Mark, I guess I should have mentioned the shipping thing. While my preference is to sell them to someone in the Seattle area and avoid the shipping hassle, I do have access to someone who is authorized to ship via USPS.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Whoever you sell them to will have to come and pick them up or meet you somewhere, because you can't ship them. Bummer.

MarkII

I believe you can now. I just got the newsletter from a certain well-known supplier here stating they can ship tons of engines USPS. Just not the Estes E's. Check Sirius' website.
Since the BATF court decision, even up to 'I' reloads can be shipped USPS.
Allen
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I believe you can now. I just got the newsletter from a certain well-known supplier here stating they can ship tons of engines USPS. Just not the Estes E's. Check Sirius' website.
Since the BATF court decision, even up to 'I' reloads can be shipped USPS.
Allen
AFAIK, the settlement of the BATF lawsuit has nothing to do with the shipping regulations of the Department of Transportation. Two separate agencies. Two separate jurisdictions. Two separate sets of Federal regulations. The lawsuit had to do with BATF's classification of APCP as an explosive, requiring a permit to own and store. BATF has absolutely nothing to do with matters relating to the shipment of goods, rocket motors or otherwise. The US Department of Transportation has jurisdiction over that (or at least part of it) and it is DOT regulations that come into play in the matter of shipment of rocket motors. No matter who you are, no matter how many motors you wish to ship, no matter how big they are or how many grams of propellant they contain, you are required in the US to obtain a Federal permit to ship any rocket motors that contain propellant. Period. No exceptions. Shipment of motors without first obtaining a permit to do so will likely result in a stiff fine and significant prison time. This has been the law for quite some time, and the settlement of the BATF lawsuit did nothing to change that. (Because the BATF doesn't regulate shipping, there is no possible way that the lawsuit could have had any effect on it.)

Where in the Sirius Rocketry website do you see anything that contradicts this?

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Old BAR

Mark,
I received the emailed newsletter from Sirius yesterday ( I am on their list), read it, then deleted it. Please feel free to contact them and ask for them to forward you a copy. I inferred they were sending these motors, because there is NO hazmat fee associated with them at all. They said as much. Hope I'm not popping your bubble!
If there were a fee, would we not be charged? If you doubt me, go to the source of the info., please.
Allen
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Jetlag,

I believe businesses who are distributors or dealers of motor manufacturers like Estes, Quest, and Aerotech, can apply for a shipping exemption, or maybe an authorization. Otherwise, you'd always have to have motors drop-shipped from the mfgr, which would be a huge hassle for the mfgr.

But private individuals without a permit (or without an authorization from the mfgr) can NOT ship motors legally.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Old BAR

Ok, fine,
All I know is just about every private individual I have ever bought motors from has shipped them USPS, and I have not had the SS at my door. I don't believe they have either.
Heck, the USPS can't even deliver the mail on Saturdays anymore; at least that's the proposal...
I did not ask Sirius directly, because, mainly, I just don't care. Ya'll are welcome to. They probably DO have an exemption. The rules are stupid. What can I say. I'd still ship 'em, though. When I simply tell the post office these are toy rocket motors, they do not even bat an eye. Off they go.
Allen
Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
BAR

Just fwiw ....

Shipment of model rocket motors via USPS is perfectly legal . There's a limit to what can be shipped and a process that has to be followed, all outlined pretty well on the NAR website ....

http://www.nar.org/pdf/shipping_rocket_motors.pdf

The regs require a letter from USPS HQ authorizing the shipment - it's the umbrella under which manufacturers and their distributors ship legally. There's no reason a private individual cannot request such an authorization ... I don't know of anyone who's done so and been turned down, but then again I don't know of anyone who's requested the authorization, either. If anyone has first-hand knowledge of such, it would be interesting to hear the story.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
(snip)........When I simply tell the post office these are toy rocket motors, they do not even bat an eye. Off they go.
Allen

lol....Exactly what happens when I mail them. Of course, I never send them priority or express and specify ground shipping. Now, is that how they are actually handled? Don't know....don't care.