Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Master Modeler

I too am friends with people that are generally or widely regarded as "bad", but we get along fine. I know what you mean.

I have it on good authority that Mike does not have access to this portion of the forum so yes, it should be safe here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Don't think of Jerry's compliments as sincere. They're not and never are. That said, I'm surprised this lasted as long as it did (I'm also surprised Jerry has avoided getting banned for this long). If it wasn't Irvine it would have been something else. Carl is on track regarding Mike. He has a temper and it usually doesn't serve him well. However, I regard Mike as a long time friend. There are all types of personalities in rocketry. I can be friends with most, even Kaplow.

Buzz
Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 more for urging Carl to get that motor making machine working !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I'm almost sure it was Irvine. Knowing Jerry, if you go through his posts over the weekend there are subtle, between the line comments meant to get under Mike's skin, which, yes is thin. It worked.

I'd be willing to bet money that Mike's comment "or would rather talk past me rather than to me" was posted directly to Jerry's comments in post #122. Jerry's comment "You think Mike is cool" probably struck a nerve with him as well.

Also in post #64 where Jerry posted "Your service is appreciated even from the non star struck among us." I realize his post was a reply to a user named starstruck but it could very easily be misinterpreted because he followed up with "God bless you for the Cineroc". That "star stuck" comment was probably a shot at Mike.

Jerry can get under a persons skin. Anyone that's been around any of the other forums knows what I'm talking about. I do appreciate that he seems to be playing by the rules here and I'm glad he is. He'll be banned otherwise. His past aside he is a very knowledgeable guy and can bring a lot of information to the table. I hope he continues to behave and it sure seems like he is trying .....

I for one have asked my last question in the "Ask Mike" forum. I'm glad he answered my questions about the original Cineroc carrier vehicles but frankly I don't appreciate the slap that everyone rec'd and the threats to shut his forum section down. Mike wants to call someone out, name names. If I did something to piss him off, I'd expect him to call me out for it. If he don't like Jerry or anyone else for that matter let "them" know. Don't threaten to punish us all with that spanking he dished out .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Master Modeler

Ya, I'm kind of surprised Mike still posted anything yesterday. I kind of figured he might be done with this forum.

I had a run-in with him 10 years ago that clued me into what he was like then. What I see here is exactly what happened then.

Besides, the level of posterior kissing going on is getting to be a bit nauseating
Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I'd be willing to bet money that Mike's comment "or would rather talk past me rather than to me" was posted directly to Jerry's comments in post #122. Jerry's comment "You think Mike is cool" probably struck a nerve with him as well.

Also in post #64 where Jerry posted "Your service is appreciated even from the non star struck among us." I realize his post was a reply to a user named starstruck but it could very easily be misinterpreted because he followed up with "God bless you for the Cineroc". That "star stuck" comment was probably a shot at Mike.

Jerry can get under a persons skin. Anyone that's been around any of the other forums knows what I'm talking about. I do appreciate that he seems to be playing by the rules here and I'm glad he is. He'll be banned otherwise. His past aside he is a very knowledgeable guy and can bring a lot of information to the table. I hope he continues to behave and it sure seems like he is trying .....

I for one have asked my last question in the "Ask Mike" forum. I'm glad he answered my questions about the original Cineroc carrier vehicles but frankly I don't appreciate the slap that everyone rec'd and the threats to shut his forum section down. Mike wants to call someone out, name names. If I did something to piss him off, I'd expect him to call me out for it. If he don't like Jerry or anyone else for that matter let "them" know. Don't threaten to punish us all with that spanking he dished out .....

I agree - more than a little uncalled for. Just my 2 cents.

S.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I agree - more than a little uncalled for. Just my 2 cents.
I can appreciate why people feel that way. But I don't know the guy, so I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I agree he could have handled it better. But given that he's still posting, it looks like he's over it and we're all no worse for the wear.

My take it that he's the new guy here, and perhaps is a little tentative and on edge, and doesn't have the familiarity that most of use share. IOW, he doesn't yet know who to ignore and who's just kidding around.

And, speaking of edgy, a good percentage of the folks I know in this hobby are wound pretty tight. I think a high level of intensity is pretty common amongst engineering types, which rocketeers tend to be by nature if not by profession, so I can tolerate a bit of temper. Lord knows mine's sinfully bad.

So anyway, I agree there may have been some overreaction, but I'm OK with it.

Plus, if it really was Irvine who set him off...well, I've been saving a can o' whoop @$$ for him since he popped off in 2002. The only thing that saved him then was Pat Gordzelik un-inviting him from LDRS. Folks all around Texas were lining up to waylay his sorry self. The last thing we need here is Irvine running off the new members, no matter what their temperaments.

My nickel's worth.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I have never met Mike, but have admired and respected his body of work over the years. He has stuck with it and has done a lot for all modelers and especially for Estes Industries. At 62, he is facing retirement and is worried about his legacy. Nothing wrong with that.

My first thought when he went off was, "Lighten up, Francis." Sheryl would not let me post that. He has angered a large crowd of people. I get phone calls and emails from people that want to say what is on their mind, but are afraid to.

When I see genius like that wasted, I am sorrowed. If he just showed up at NARAM and walked up to people and said, "Hi, I'm Mike. Tell me something about your rocket", he would be endearing. One of his longtime friends told me that when Mike retired, he could possibly be an asset for Semroc, IF I was willing to devote the time necessary to learn how to work with him. I am 62 also, so I probably don't have that much time.

I am trying to stay out of the trainwreck, but I don't respond very well to threats and bullies. Mary has tried, but I think she gave up. Knowing how Barry REALLY feels about us, hobbyists, the NAR and its trustees, other manufacturers, Vern and Gleda, LAUNCH and forums and "forum people" makes all of this seem so surreal. Sort of like cursing out everyone at the party and then realizing you have to ask them for cabfare because you are too drunk to drive.

There is an agenda beneath all this. I just don't know what it is. When Barry says the industry is healthy and Estes is 15 to 30 times bigger than it was at its peak and Mike implies that the industry is in trouble and we should all help Estes, someone is not being truthful.

I really hope Mike can get this forum stuff figured out pretty quick before he burns every bridge in sight.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I can appreciate why people feel that way. But I don't know the guy, so I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I agree he could have handled it better. But given that he's still posting, it looks like he's over it and we're all no worse for the wear.

My take it that he's the new guy here, and perhaps is a little tentative and on edge, and doesn't have the familiarity that most of use share. IOW, he doesn't yet know who to ignore and who's just kidding around.

And, speaking of edgy, a good percentage of the folks I know in this hobby are wound pretty tight. I think a high level of intensity is pretty common amongst engineering types, which rocketeers tend to be by nature if not by profession, so I can tolerate a bit of temper. Lord knows mine's sinfully bad.

So anyway, I agree there may have been some overreaction, but I'm OK with it.

Plus, if it really was Irvine who set him off...well, I've been saving a can o' whoop @$$ for him since he popped off in 2002. The only thing that saved him then was Pat Gordzelik un-inviting him from LDRS. Folks all around Texas were lining up to waylay his sorry self. The last thing we need here is Irvine running off the new members, no matter what their temperaments.

My nickel's worth.

Doug

Good points - and I certainly didn't mean to belittle Mikes acomplishments while working for Estes. He's responsible for most of my favorite Estes kits.
I hope he gets around to answering my question about motors. I may have to dig that one up and remind him.
And your right about Jerry, too. While my personal communications with him have been civil and very informative, I just read through a couple of his posts thinking "There you go again, Jerry -just can't resist getting your digs in, can you?" . He has a knack for pi***ng folks off.
So I guess if we can cut Jerry some slack we can sure as hell give Mike a chance to get used to us here in the asylum - with any luck he'll soon be as crazy as the rest of us .

S.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I really hope Mike can get this forum stuff figured out pretty quick before he burns every bridge in sight.
Carl,

You're closer to it than I am - you have some history with the situation - so you understandably have a different perspective than I. And I could well share the same perspective in 6 months, or next week.

And I respect others' takes. But I can't assimilate them - I need to experience it myself. For now, he's the new guy. Next week, he may be the FNG

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Master Modeler

Guys, you have to know how to "talk" on Mike's level to not rattle anything; a very well known model rocketeer (won't name him) who knows Mike very well told me back in 2004 that he can be difficult to get along with and does have a short temper. I got this "heads up" then as I was corresponding with Dorffler about the Cineroc's (my 2nd) ability to fly
again after being in storage (but brand new) for some 25+ years. Mike was very gracious
in answering all of my questions/concerns so that I was confident to give this fantastic
payload a "go."

Mike does have tons of modroc history and knowledge behind him; we still need him as long
as he's available and willing to help. Just learn to deal with his personality.