Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default What CA glue to buy

I've been using CA adhesive in the 3g tubes to minimize waste if the tip fouls and can't be cleared thus resulting in disposal of the remaining amount of adhesive. I've decided my next purchase will be in the 1 or 2 oz size but I'm wondering which brand works best and is least likely to foul or is easiest to clean.

I'm also interested in knowing who has the best price. All responses are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Modeler

I've never noticed a big difference between various brands of CA so I just get the inhouse brand at HobbyTown USA. If you're worried about the tips getting fouled you could always buys a few spare tips.

Mario
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
When Pigs Fly!

In regards to clogging CA glue bottle tips:
Check out my website,
www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com
It's actually on page 2 or hit "The Best Tools, Part 2. Scroll down to the "Glues" section.
I explain few ways to avoid clogging Super Glue bottles.
Some use solvents to keep the top clear.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
I've never noticed a big difference between various brands of CA so I just get the inhouse brand at HobbyTown USA. If you're worried about the tips getting fouled you could always buys a few spare tips.

Mario

My local HT has started selling the Mercury Brand of CA's, which seem to work reasonably well. The selling feature is a tiny metal pin in the top of the cap, which keeps the tip from clogging.

I've used just about every CA that's come and gone since the days of the original "Hot Stuff", and the only one that ever came close to matching the 'heat' of that was Pacer's ZAP (pink bottle). Goldberg's JET might have come next.

But like Mario, I've used the 'house brands' with about equal success. Bob Smith Industries adhesives is a good choice. Regardless of the brand, I like to use a small teflon pipette for application, that way I can seal up the bottle and not have to worry about the tip clogging.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
7/21/61

Take a look at this thread.

These same stores also carry Original Super Glue liquid in multipacks.

Stay away from the generic no-name liquid tubes in the dollar stores (often sold for 4 or 5 tubes for $1). My experience is that it is of highly inconsistent quality. Some tubes are dried out, or semi-gelled even before opening and others with an unusual odor to them.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Master Modeler

I've been using Loctite Super Glue, sold in .35 oz bottles at Home Depot. The bottle is small enough that it doesn't thicken before I use it all. The cap contains a nail in it which keeps the applicator tip clear. It costs around $3 and works great for me.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=100371814
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
I've been using Loctite Super Glue, sold in .35 oz bottles at Home Depot. The bottle is small enough that it doesn't thicken before I use it all. The cap contains a nail in it which keeps the applicator tip clear. It costs around $3 and works great for me.

I bought the same thing, but at WallyWorld.

It has thickened and is slow to cure, so time to go buy another.

Bill
Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I bought the same thing, but at WallyWorld.

It has thickened and is slow to cure, so time to go buy another.

Bill

Strange... I've gone through three bottles so far and none thas hickened and it cures qucikly and actually doesn't smell as toxic as some other brands I've used.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

I keep a couple of extra tips around. Whenever I get a clog, I drop that tip in a jar of acetone and use the extra tip. Once the extra tip clogs, the original tip has been cleared and is ready to use again. Use a small jar with a good seal for the acetone, or it will evaporate before the CA dissolves. With this method, you can use whatever brand CA the local hobby shop carries and not have to order special bottles online. Acetone is available at hardware stores, Wally World, etc. You can also avoid or at least delay clogging by being careful with the tip by not dragging it across your balsa dusted fins, sucking the CA back into the bottle before putting on the cap, etc.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Strange... I've gone through three bottles so far and none thas hickened and it cures qucikly and actually doesn't smell as toxic as some other brands I've used.

My bottle is somewhat over three years old. I was originally intending to use it to finish and reinforce balsa fins and cones hence buying the jumbo 10g size, but ended up mostly using it to reinforce the ends of body tubes.

Bill