Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Craftsman

Default Starting QCC Explorer build

I gotta go and find JeffyJeep's QCC build thread for this rig. The intake ducts look like they're gonna be a be-otch. Haven't gotten very far yet, just sanding and sealing the balsa parts. After that I'll cut the exhaust nozzle off the NC and get started in earnest. Hoping not to screw this one up! Been a while since I built a kit that required a lot of skill!
SAM #0354
Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Master Modeler

Best of luck. Sealing and sanding is the place to start!

Someone in Oregon Rocketry built one, and it looks great.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Craftsman

Got the engine mount done, BT marked, balsa sanded, fins sealed and sanded.... just started the first of the ducts last night. O boy....here we go.
SAM #0354
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
It's all nuts & bolts

Default duct work

Yea I looked at the build and fun as it looked challenging is the word I came up with. Great that we have computers and the help of other experienced builders out there. Those ducts are a real work of art.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Craftsman

I agree bubamech! I got all the ducts finished last night. The first one actually went together pretty good but for some reason the second one had me pulling my hair out. Had to walk away from it after two of the small bulkheads snapped in half. I was able to cement them back together enough to get them to work ok within that particular duct but I wasn't happy about it. The final two ducts went together without incident so it ended up turning out pretty good despite the mishap. I am also suffering from my first cold/illness in over two year so that doesn't help. Not used to this being sick stuff.

Anyway, I have some photos I can post available for critique. I still have to sand the details and fill all the gaps and stuff on the ducts so I'll be working on that this weekend. After that it should be pretty smooth sailing and hopefully I'll catch a bit of a break with the weather to get this thing all painted and decal'd.

Plus, I just ordered a Estes Leviathan so that will be my next project. Should be fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts7.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  176.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts4.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  135.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  116.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  140.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  160.9 KB  
SAM #0354

Last edited by Kimble29 : 11-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

Default get well

Hey, Good luck on the cold thing, I hate being sick. Your balsa wood construction is looking great. I have seen the Qcc on the hook at the hobby lobby a few times now and never took a second glance at it.......... Until now. I had it in my hands yesterday afternoon and for $19.00 plus a 40% off coupon I had in my wallet I was tempted to take her home with me. Since I went to get C6-3's for my son the QCC will have to wait.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble29
I agree bubamech! I got all the ducts finished last night. The first one actually went together pretty good but for some reason the second one had me pulling my hair out. Had to walk away from it after two of the small bulkheads snapped in half. I was able to cement them back together enough to get them to work ok within that particular duct but I wasn't happy about it. The final two ducts went together without incident so it ended up turning out pretty good despite the mishap. I am also suffering from my first cold/illness in over two year so that doesn't help. Not used to this being sick stuff.

Anyway, I have some photos I can post available for critique. I still have to sand the details and fill all the gaps and stuff on the ducts so I'll be working on that this weekend. After that it should be pretty smooth sailing and hopefully I'll catch a bit of a break with the weather to get this thing all painted and decal'd.

Plus, I just ordered a Estes Leviathan so that will be my next project. Should be fun!
Looking good! The hardest part's almost over. Once you contour-sand the duct bases you'll have it licked.

Hope you feel better soon! Jeff

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Old Submariner

Speaking of the Leviathan, I've built a couple of them and if you want to match the charcoal gray metallic of the package photo perfectly, here's the paint to use:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  leviathan9-12 (5).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  108.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  leviathan9-12 (2).JPG
Views: 82
Size:  102.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0968.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  43.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  78.5 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Spare no Detail

Default Good Luck

Best of luck to ya.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Craftsman

Hey, thanks for all the well wishes everyone! I sure appreciate it! Bubbamech, if you get the chance, definitely go get this kit. It's well worth the effort to build it!

JeffyJeep... man that Leviathan looks awesome! Thanks for the paint info. I built an Executioner a couple months ago and gave it a Leviathan paint scheme but I just guessed on the color. I have some pics of it in this forum somewhere. I think with my Leviathan I am going to do a custom paint job with a WWII fighter plane motif, complete with riveted metal, pin-up girl, shark face nose and US Airforce insignia. I have some good reference but it's definitely gonna be a challenge. But I will keep this paint info handy because chances are I'll be getting another Leviathan in the future.

Here are a couple more photos of the ducts with the fins attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  QCC_ducts_fins1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  153.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  QCC_ducts_fins2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  164.8 KB  
SAM #0354