Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Master Modeler

It's good to here the Mars Lander performs better on a c5-3 because it's a flying pile of cow dung on a c6. I have some c5's on the way and I can't wait to try it.

and wow, the Estes A10 is really an A2.

Thanks all. I learned more about motors today then I have in the last 30 years.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was only talking about the C5-3 vs C6-3.
The C6-5 and C6-7 should stay, the C6-0 and C6-3 should be replaced by the C5-0 and C5-3.
They could probably produce a C5-5, but no way on the C5-7
The C5-3 fills the case about to the level of a C6-5, so a C5-5 would be around the level of a C6-7.
Yeah, it is a little more to manufacture, but the benefit is worth the additional cost.
I can't imagine the manufacturing cost per motor additional would be more than 5 cents.
Pass that cost onto the customer at 15 cents or even double at 30 cents and nobody would even blink.
Bottom line is, give us what we want/need not just what you want to produce.
If brand A can give us more motor variants than one could want, seems to me brand E could start giving us a few motors we are actually requesting. Yes, we want port burners. Just DO IT !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'd like to have them both, but like you, if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose the C5-x.

However, there is the issue of a 7 second delay. The current C6-7 is just about filled to the top. The C5-x has more propellant and it is cored, both contributing to a need for more space in the casing than a C6-7. A 7 second might not fit. My vintage C5-3S (Centuri labeled) motors are filled as full in the casing as my current C6-7's. Estes could cut the amount of propellant, like the classic D11-9, but then we'd have the whiners that would complain about the motor being crippled or dumbed down.

If Estes can do so economically, I will be perfectly happy if the choices were C5-0, C5-3, C6-5, C6-7.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Going through the NAR motor information:

1/4A3 = 1/4A2
1/2A3 = 1/2A3
A3 = A2.2
A10 = A2.4

1/2A6 = 1/2A3.5
A8 = A4
B4 = B4
B6 = B5
C6 = C5

C11 = C11
D12 = D10
E9 = E9

So some are more accurate than others. Kind of interesting, though.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Any word on those LOOONNNGGGG ago announced/displayed/test flew BP SU 29mm E and F motors from another manufacturer ?
I'm hoping they are not vaporware, but I'm starting to think those are about as likely as Enerjet restarting production of engines and kits.
SU BP E and F motors really only have a market if they can be done for a price similar to a 24mm 40 to 50n-sec reload anyway. They can never be full-impulse F power and shipped, therefore nobody would pay even close to the price of a APCP SU F motor.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Yeah, it is a little more to manufacture, but the benefit is worth the additional cost.
I can't imagine the manufacturing cost per motor additional would be more than 5 cents.
Pass that cost onto the customer at 15 cents or even double at 30 cents and nobody would even blink.
!

As a rocketeer I agree, but as someone who has been in manufacturing and sales most of my life I know what goes on in the bean counting room. Inventory is evil - multiple SKU's produce more inventory and therefore are evil too. Convince the customer that they really want what we have in stock - not what they remember performing better.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

The thing is, intelligent customers are never convinced they want CRAP a manufacturer is trying to shove down their throat instead of what they really want. Rocket enthusiasts tend to be above average intelligence, hence they tend to be bamboozled by sales crapola far less often than the average Joe Dimwit.
Sales people typically hate me as I can't be talked into wanting anything.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The thing is, intelligent customers are never convinced they want CRAP a manufacturer is trying to shove down their throat instead of what they really want. Rocket enthusiasts tend to be above average intelligence, hence they tend to be bamboozled by sales crapola far less often than the average Joe Dimwit.
Sales people typically hate me as I can't be talked into wanting anything.

Yes but don't forget Estes' biggest customer is NOT the rocket enthusiast - it's the distributors!

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 07-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
As a rocketeer I agree, but as someone who has been in manufacturing and sales most of my life I know what goes on in the bean counting room. Inventory is evil - multiple SKU's produce more inventory and therefore are evil too. Convince the customer that they really want what we have in stock - not what they remember performing better.

The company I work for (food producer and distributor) has never heard of such a theory. We currently have over 3500 SKU's and they add about 10 or so every week. As with most companies 80% of our yearly sales come from about 250 - 300 of those SKU's--but on the remote chance you need it, we have it. (even snails in a can)
Never, ever tell a customer, "No we can't do that" is our motto.

Sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread, but I found that comment irresistible. Now back to the motor discussion..........
Was once SAM#0132
Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
The company I work for (food producer and distributor) has never heard of such a theory. We currently have over 3500 SKU's and they add about 10 or so every week. As with most companies 80% of our yearly sales come from about 250 - 300 of those SKU's--but on the remote chance you need it, we have it. (even snails in a can)
Never, ever tell a customer, "No we can't do that" is our motto.

Sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread, but I found that comment irresistible. Now back to the motor discussion..........
I agree. As the publishing magnate Al Neuharth once said, "The bean counters should be on tap, but never on top." There are many companies that sell from catalogs (the "Cumberland General Store" www.cumberlandgeneral.com is one of the larger ones that comes to mind) that offer bewilderingly large selections of products, yet are very prosperous.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-07-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.