Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Thumbing my nose at gravity...

Default Reward! Please help if you can!

I was at the launch yesterday (7/26) at Bong and sent up my Binder Design Velociraptor. Was only to go up about 2,300 ft., drogue and then deploy the main at 800 feet. It went JUST far enough over that it landed in the tall brush just before a small clump of trees and a line of bushes. I made three trips out to trudge through the brush to find it and finally had to quit. I live in Deerfield, WI, so I'm quite a ways off. If anyone is inclined to help a fellow club member out and give it a shot looking for this expensive rocket, I would be eternally grateful -- I'd pay a nice reward for it! Below is a pic of the rocket and a hand-drawn map of where everyone saw it go down.

Thank you!

PS - I would have had a tracker on it, but I didn't know the club had them to loan out until it was too late...

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tid=41593&stc=1
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...tid=41594&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1260.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  290.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0990.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  626.6 KB  
Woosh NAR #558

Last edited by Kevin Huddleston : 07-27-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

This is the kind of situation where I wish the club owned a nice quadcopter with onboard video - so we could have someone fly it over an area and look down into the brush from above. Bet we'd spot stuff faster...
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
This is the kind of situation where I wish the club owned a nice quadcopter with onboard video - so we could have someone fly it over an area and look down into the brush from above. Bet we'd spot stuff faster...

That's funny you say that as I was thinking the same thing yesterday, "Man, if I could just get some height and look down, I bet I'd spot it!"

If anyone finds it, even if rain has ruined the cardboard tubing, I still would like to have it for everything else on it that won't be ruined.

Thanks
Woosh NAR #558
Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox

Perfect application for one! In the 90s we flew up in Walden, Colorado, in the mountains. It was a large valley surrounded by mountains, and was covered with sage brush. You could lose a rocket in that stuff easily, if the rocket and chute went down in between plants, even if you had a pretty good bearing on it. You might not see it until you were practically on top of it. A quadcopter would have been perfect to overfly the suspected location.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Perfect application for one! In the 90s we flew up in Walden, Colorado, in the mountains. It was a large valley surrounded by mountains, and was covered with sage brush. You could lose a rocket in that stuff easily, if the rocket and chute went down in between plants, even if you had a pretty good bearing on it. You might not see it until you were practically on top of it. A quadcopter would have been perfect to overfly the suspected location.

I bet. I wish I had one! I'm just sick about this... $200 rocket + $40 altimeter... Ugh....
Woosh NAR #558
Old 07-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Old Submariner

Do you know which way is North on your map? And what colors are the parachutes?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Do you know which way is North on your map? And what colors are the parachutes?

Thanks for asking! The approximate area coordinates are 42.624476, -88.163757. On my map, the launch area is East to West, so the area where this rocket landed is SW of the landing site. Does that make sense?
Woosh NAR #558
Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Huddleston
Thanks for asking! The approximate area coordinates are 42.624476, -88.163757. On my map, the launch area is East to West, so the area where this rocket landed is SW of the landing site. Does that make sense?

It makes sense. What color are the parachutes?

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
It makes sense. What color are the parachutes?

Drogue was red. Main was yellow. Main might also have black in it (trying to remember -- so many rockets!)
Woosh NAR #558

Last edited by Kevin Huddleston : 07-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 AM
BAR

Hey Kevin,

I chatted with you a bit as we were closing the range down - that's a bummer for sure, most of us club members have lost birds in the tall grass at Bong. I don't have time to get out there, but sometimes, if enough time is spent, rockets like these can be found. Occasionally, they get turned into the Ranger, and if you have your name and phone # on there, they'll call. If not, it's worth a call somewhere down the road to see if it has been found & turned in. I've been flying with the club for years, but didn't start using the club tracker until recently, after losing some, and having too many close calls. A tracker won't guarantee recovery (trees & marshes), but they increase odds significantly.

I know this doesn't help, but it is sort of a rite-of-passage at Bong. Most of us, myself included, realized how tall the plants get out there in summer, until having to walk through them.

Lastly, get yourself on the club e-mail list (details on the website). It gets seen by more club members than this forum.

-Paul
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org