Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Craftsman

Default Power at the launch pad for clusters

I am putting together a range box and I have a couple of electronic questions for those that have much more knowledge in that area than I have. I used to know the answer but it has become "muddled" over the years.
I am using a launcher connected to a pad relay module from Pratt Hobbies. I intend to use this setup for both single igniters as well as clusters

1. When using dual batteries at a relay module is it better to hook them up in series for 24Volts or parallel for 14Amps to fire clusters?

2.Also what size(gauge) wire is recommended between the relay launcher and the igniters.

3.What size (gauge) wire is recommended for the clip whips?
and and for the wire in making your own igniters?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race58
1. When using dual batteries at a relay module is it better to hook them up in series for 24Volts or parallel for 14Amps to fire clusters?
You want 12V. Hook them up to give you 12V. If they are already 12V each, then wire them in parallel. If you hook them up to get 24V, you'll likely cause the igniter bridge wires to burn too fast. They will burn open without igniting the pyrogen and thus not light the motor.

Quote:
2.Also what size(gauge) wire is recommended between the relay launcher and the igniters.
You want something between 14 and 18 gauge stranded wire for the few feet between the relayer and the pad.

Quote:
3.What size (gauge) wire is recommended for the clip whips? and and for the wire in making your own igniters?
The clip whip wire can be something like 22-28 gauge stranded. For igniters, 24-30 gauge solid. Finer for really small igniters.

Personally, I prefer not to use clipwhips. They fall off too easily, and are prone to shorting against each other. Instead, I prefer to take telephone wire (~26 gauge solid) and wire it to the igniters to form lead extensions. A bit of tape covers the connections and prevents shorts. Take care that you don't break the igniter while connecting to it. It helps to clamp the leads so that it doesn't twist the head. I use a dab of solder on mine, but that may be over kill.

In my case, since I solder, I don't need to twist the wires together very much, and that helps avoid breaking the igniters.

With extended leads, twist the other ends together and connect them to your relayer leads.

For large clusters, this works much better than clip whips.

Doug

Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Craftsman

That answers it. Thanks for the info and the good advice on the igniters.