Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I know this post is old, but wanted to add more to the color schemes for those who decide to search up Big Bertha…

These are my first two rocket builds, MadDog for my boy being the first and Fire Fly for my daughter being the 2nd. Pretty easy to get a boy excited about a rocket; just mention explosions, noise, speed or fire, or add all in one sentence and conversation is over… For her, I had to give it a bit of girl neon pink flare and add a cute name. She wanted “ButterFly”, but we settled on FireFly since it fit well and I was able to find cute little bug clipart that she liked… I did try to match both names to each child’s personality and will implement it to some degree on all future rocket builds.

You will note MadDog is short; yeah the chute failed to deploy... In fact it did the same thing on FireFly, after this pic was taken. No fear, I repaired both and FireFly was only shaved about a ½”. I think for now I am giving up on inserting two paratroopers into the rockets and will let them just serve their intended purpose. Clearly, I just don’t know the best approach in packing additional payload and tired of losing rockets…

Anyway, both are repaired now, and you can’t tell. Most important is that the kids love them. Big Bertha does appear to be a pretty durable design. After launching them at least 15 times a piece, they are no worse for wear. The fins with the paper wrapping really holds up well, and soon I will make a rocket where I concentrate on a good finish. I saw a pic on here of someone who took a Big Daddy and put the color scheme of a Der Red Max on it. My Boy like Skulls from Halloween, so I think I will find some cute skull clipart and make it happen…

BTW, some may recall I mentioned a rocket B-Day party at the park. Well, per the above failures, I aborted the paratrooper thing and just launched a mass of rockets including the Estess Air Show Space shuttle (certainly a favorite). Either way, had a bit of a crowd so the pressure was on, but all the kids young and old loved it… I was able to get everyone included in launch and recovery. The good news, is I have successfully drafted a few new people into the cult, er, uhhh, I mean hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  156.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  160.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  138.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  d.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  156.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2193.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  90.7 KB  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRescue
I know this post is old, but wanted to add more to the color schemes for those who decide to search up Big Bertha…

These are my first two rocket builds, MadDog for my boy being the first and Fire Fly for my daughter being the 2nd. Pretty easy to get a boy excited about a rocket; just mention explosions, noise, speed or fire, or add all in one sentence and conversation is over… For her, I had to give it a bit of girl neon pink flare and add a cute name. She wanted “ButterFly”, but we settled on FireFly since it fit well and I was able to find cute little bug clipart that she liked… I did try to match both names to each child’s personality and will implement it to some degree on all future rocket builds.

You will note MadDog is short; yeah the chute failed to deploy... In fact it did the same thing on FireFly, after this pic was taken. No fear, I repaired both and FireFly was only shaved about a ½”. I think for now I am giving up on inserting two paratroopers into the rockets and will let them just serve their intended purpose. Clearly, I just don’t know the best approach in packing additional payload and tired of losing rockets…

Anyway, both are repaired now, and you can’t tell. Most important is that the kids love them. Big Bertha does appear to be a pretty durable design. After launching them at least 15 times a piece, they are no worse for wear. The fins with the paper wrapping really holds up well, and soon I will make a rocket where I concentrate on a good finish. I saw a pic on here of someone who took a Big Daddy and put the color scheme of a Der Red Max on it. My Boy like Skulls from Halloween, so I think I will find some cute skull clipart and make it happen…

BTW, some may recall I mentioned a rocket B-Day party at the park. Well, per the above failures, I aborted the paratrooper thing and just launched a mass of rockets including the Estess Air Show Space shuttle (certainly a favorite). Either way, had a bit of a crowd so the pressure was on, but all the kids young and old loved it… I was able to get everyone included in launch and recovery. The good news, is I have successfully drafted a few new people into the cult, er, uhhh, I mean hobby.

The Der Red Max scheme decal set for the Big Daddy is available through Excelsior Rocketry.

Just follow the web link at the bottom in my signature, scroll down the home page and click on the links.

Look around and you will find several different Big Bertha decal sets.

Check out "The Love Bug". That one will work great on a Big Bertha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  grosservatiwebsite01sm.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  40.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lovebug01.jpg.w300h882.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  21.7 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
Incidentally, my introduction to rocketry was via 3-2-1 Contact Magazine. They talked about how cool rocketry was, and had plans for making your own launch controller and (I think) launch pad, plus you were supposed to buy a Bertha, and cut out the "decals" printed in the magazine and decorate it as a 3-2-1 Contact Rocket. I never did that and decided that the Solar Launch Controller was a whole lot more convenient than the one they were proposing to be built out of a plastic recipe card box (and probably cheaper too). Even as a 12 year old I was overly practical

3-2-1 contact.

good ,memories.... they did an episode where they were at a launch and flew the strofoam cuprocs.

myself and Scott trelease were on that, though they never aired the interview, just a shot of us running after one ( they made us wait to recover, so the camera crew could be ready, and we had to sign release forms to let it air, etc - Allentown PA area WUBBA launch, Wubba 7 , I think.....

Also of note is the cuprocs, designed by Dick Nelson ( not sure if Jim helped in that, did not know Jim til years later ), and the ones filmed were build by George Idiart and my brother Mark ( Moose of the east ) ( and others I'm not 100 % sure ? ) . I also remember one hit my dads truck (camper shell ) and broke between two cups, I have photos, but don't recall what was actually aired, that was like 25 yrs ago....
anyone have a copy ?

~ AL
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Craftsman

Heres a pic of my completed Bertha. I wanted a "retro" look to it but at the same time I wanted to show that this was a current build and not a 20 yr old rocket so i added the decals that came with the kit only on the black fin.
I prefer to paint my rockets in colors that look like it belongs on a rocket and also something that may be easier to spot while in the air and on the ground.
I guess Estes came up with the all black scheme to keep it affordable and easy to finish that would be more attractive to a younger crowd. But to have it all black is not an ideal color to have to search for if it floated away some distance and your looking for it in a grassy field for example.

And here is my black "D Big Bertha" I made a fin templates from a vintage kit and 3/32 basswood, a spare BB nose and a estes D/E engine mount. For the recovery i chose 1/8 braided elastic about 4ft long and Im not too sure if I should go for a 16" chute or 12", possibly even using a streamer instead?
But here it is, ready for some clear coat.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  CIMG1047.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  90.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CIMG1048.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  105.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CIMG1090.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  83.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CIMG1091.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  82.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CIMG1092.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  89.1 KB  

Last edited by Captain Ron : 03-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.