Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
BAR

Default Primer under Gold

I do not have enough white primer for my Golden Scout build. What about red auto primer? Think it will be ok under the gold?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga1ba2
I do not have enough white primer for my Golden Scout build. What about red auto primer? Think it will be ok under the gold?

I think that it would be too dark. I have used white primer under my gold, I haven't tried red though. Why don't you jmust get another can of the white primer and be on the safe side?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga1ba2

Just sand the primer down as usual and give it a couple of light even coats of regular white paint. Gold will stick to it just fine. If you are still worried about it sticking, go over the model with a Scotchbrite pad and then wipe any dust off with a tacky cloth or a clean rag and alcohol before you hit it with the gold.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I think that it would be too dark. I have used white primer under my gold, I haven't tried red though. Why don't you jmust get another can of the white primer and be on the safe side?

You are probably right, I'm just anxious to get it painted . I am out of gold paint too so I'll just wait and buy them both at the same time. I have enough white for one coat at least I can get it started.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I've had good luck with gray Wal-Mart ColorPlace or Dollar General Miracal primer under gold Ace brand paint. But then, the Ace paint is VERY opaque.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

I went gray primer, then needed 2 coats of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. Looks fine. I'll try another one later going for more of a mirror finish, definitely white primer on that...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
I went gray primer, then needed 2 coats of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. Looks fine. I'll try another one later going for more of a mirror finish, definitely white primer on that...

I've got that same gold paint too Chan....the one that comes out real shiny and chrome- like. I probably should use it for this, but...

It's great paint and looks cool as heck, but I'm worried about putting a decal over it. I made decals for my Deuce and put them over that same gold. The result looks more like a peel and stick, rather than a true decal. I still may use it anyway. I just bought some Creatix Pearlescent Gold to shoot through the airbrush I just purchase. Been many years since I've airbrushed, so this might be a good project to experiment on.

Last edited by foose4string : 03-08-2008 at 08:32 AM.