Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Black Brant II

After about 10 years I finally finished my Estes Black Brant II. I am not sure how long it remained half-finished, but it was a while before we moved into this house eight years ago. It has been a long time. Alas though, I see I still have to put on the white number decals. Oh well it is *almost* done

This was kind of a frustrating build. ROTW was uncharacteristically vague in the black roll patterns (at least in my opinion by only showing two views) and the Estes instructions, although showing three views, included a fin numbering view that for the life of me I couldn’t figure out. I could not tell whether that was looking at the bottom or the top of the rocket. Maybe it was a senior moment but whatever.

I also couldn’t get the decals on the rocket in the way that the pictures showed. SO, this is what I ended up with. I messed around with it until I got too tired to care anymore and decided to just put them on in a way that looked right. So shoot me.

Anyway, it’s also missing the antennas on the payload section, I’m going to make a second section with the antennas for display only. This is the flight version.

Overall it is a nice kit and I wish Estes would reissue it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bbii.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  41.3 KB  
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Master Modeler

The finish of the patterns looks good/close enough. In fact, to complete the finish of my
FSI 1/8 scale Black Brant - II, I used the guide from the Estes BB-II instructions sheet; NOT
an easy job, I can tell you.

I'll be doing a write up of my FSI BB-II for EMRR in the near future (now that I've got a very
successful third flight up last Saturday).

I also wished I had bought the Estes BB-II when it was still available. Hopefully someone
will come out with a kit with the same scale.

Below is a pic of my FSI Black Brant - II on the pad last Saturday, taken by our club member
Christopher Stewart. That's his Tornado on the pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Daves Carde and Christopher Tornado.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  53.7 KB  
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
...Overall it is a nice kit and I wish Estes would reissue it.
Nice Kurt. There is still at least one hanging in one a LHS if you want another, and it hasn't gotten the crazy oop markup most of their kits have; you know the place (how do these guys stay in business?) Back on topic, I've not opened mine yet; are the roll patterns painted, or decaled? Are the antennas plastic? I wonder if they could be made removable for flight somehow?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Nice Kurt. There is still at least one hanging in one a LHS if you want another, and it hasn't gotten the crazy oop markup most of their kits have; you know the place (how do these guys stay in business?) Back on topic, I've not opened mine yet; are the roll patterns painted, or decaled? Are the antennas plastic? I wonder if they could be made removable for flight somehow?

Ya, I know those guys How do they stay in business? I don't know. But their costs on janitorial services must be quite low.

I do have another kit somewhere in my stuff, so I don't need another one right now. Actually the only thing that isn't available somewhere is the tail cone. If only Semroc would start making that we'd be in business. Basswood would be a good substitute for the plastic (but that's another discussion)...

The roll patterns are decals, but for my model I made up new ones on my Alps printer because the Estes ones looked awfully thick. I also added "BLACK BRANT" to the black lettering since ROTW had it that way (the Estes decal does not). The antennas are toothpicks that you form into the correct shape and then glue onto the body tube. Some people have made antennas from music wire, which is what I'll probably do.

They really don't have to be made so you can remove them, it isn't a huge deal to swap out a different payload section prior to flight. It's just a short section of BT-55 with a coupler glued in.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Master Modeler

FWIW here is the artwork for the Estes Black Brant II decal. It's for you Scott, if you want to post it.

Why did I want to type "This is for you, Damien"?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Estes BBII.pdf (49.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
FWIW here is the artwork for the Estes Black Brant II decal. It's for you Scott, if you want to post it.

Got it. Thanks!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558