Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2005, 11:43 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Question Estes Catalog 'parts of a rocket' plan

I'm looking through some catalogs over on Ninfinger ( ones I don;t have in my collection, yet, lol ), specifically looking at the 1974 Estes page 2 .

the ' parts of a rocket' , generic design with transition to larger clear payload section .

I'd always thought this was an X-Ray drawn somewhat genericly ( hard to tell if the fins would be correct).

However, in lokoing at it now, the motor shown is clearly a D12-3 .... making the lower tube a BT50.

Also noting the Nike style fin airfoils.

Now I'm going to have to build this up, was wondering if anyone had looked this over or built one ?

or curious enough to input to Rocksim ( my trial version expired, so awaiting cashflow to register it sometime....... )

Happy (belated, although our family gathering is in 2 hours ) Holidays !

~ AL
Old 11-26-2005, 12:24 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I'm looking through some catalogs over on Ninfinger ( ones I don;t have in my collection, yet, lol ), specifically looking at the 1974 Estes page 2 .

the ' parts of a rocket' , generic design with transition to larger clear payload section .

I'd always thought this was an X-Ray drawn somewhat genericly ( hard to tell if the fins would be correct).

However, in lokoing at it now, the motor shown is clearly a D12-3 .... making the lower tube a BT50.

Also noting the Nike style fin airfoils.

Now I'm going to have to build this up, was wondering if anyone had looked this over or built one ?

or curious enough to input to Rocksim ( my trial version expired, so awaiting cashflow to register it sometime....... )

Happy (belated, although our family gathering is in 2 hours ) Holidays !

~ AL

You mean this design?
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...64&postcount=72

I think this is the one you're referring to...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM

Craig ,

thansk, but that's not the one I meant .... sorry if my post was not specific.

here's the drawing :

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...s74/74est2.html

that rocket ( generic 4 fins,transition,clear payload.. well. maybe not 100 % generic, lol )

~ AL
Old 11-26-2005, 12:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
You mean this design?
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...64&postcount=72

I think this is the one you're referring to...

It's called the Cosmik Debris and it's half-finished. I started work on this over a year ago, but only got going in earnest recently. Craig's right. It's a pig and I was trying to think of a way to upgrade it to 24mm power. That problem might have been taken care of if Quest gets that 18mm D into the motor supply stream.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-26-2005, 02:40 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

We have been hearing about that 18mm Quest D almost as long as Enerjet touted their composite "D" back in '72/'73 that never came out.
How long does it really take to bring out an engine that Aerotech essentially already makes ? As I understand it, Aerotech is going to make this one for them anyway, so where is the holdup ?

The holdup does not really matter to me anyway due to the fact that I'm sure it will be priced at some obnoxious level. Unless these 18mm D's are within 10% of the normal cost (NOT suggested retail) of an Estes BP D engine ( such as 3 for $10, which I HIGHLY doubt will happen) I really see no use for them even if they are a full 20 nsec. I see no way these could cost less than an 18mm RMS reload, which we already have.
Who flies BT-20/18mm size rockets that needs a D ? Most likely nobody...the rockets that need a D engine are capable of accepting a 24 mm mount instead of an 18mm.
I would rather they made a BP "baby/13 nsec" D like the old Cox D8-3 and kept the price around BP C's. One could even extend the case length by say 10mm and get a full 7 sec delay. This would be great for "pig like" 18mm rockets such as the Estes Mars Lander or Space Shuttle, both of which I have flown SEVERAL times on my stash of Ancient Cox D8-3's.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-26-2005, 03:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Craig ,

thansk, but that's not the one I meant .... sorry if my post was not specific.

here's the drawing :

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...s74/74est2.html

that rocket ( generic 4 fins,transition,clear payload.. well. maybe not 100 % generic, lol )

~ AL

Ahhh....

My mistake. Flip those fins upside down, and what you have is a derivative of the Loadlifter 1A design from MRN. It's plan EIRP #19. I agree, the upper (payload) area is an X-Ray, with the BNC-50K or PNC-50K cone and a clear plastic tube (4" PST-50S).

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Ahhh....

My mistake. Flip those fins upside down, and what you have is a derivative of the Loadlifter 1A design from MRN. It's plan EIRP #19. I agree, the upper (payload) area is an X-Ray, with the BNC-50K or PNC-50K cone and a clear plastic tube (4" PST-50S).

ok, am hunting that plan down now, to see what it shows ( if it's posted, looking as I reply ) .

As for the X-ray payload, that's exactly what I thought / see - however, what I noticed today was that the motor shown in that drawing is a D12-3.

I realise it's just a drawing, likely x-ray and whatever else, and D12 wasn;t 'flown' in there, etc.... but got me thinking since that makes the lower part BT50, and the clear section, maybe BT55 ?

not sure a clear BT55 existed, did it ? Centuri ST13 size ?

I know, it's a wierd obsession, but now I'm on a quest to build this bird, lol ..

~ AL
Old 11-27-2005, 09:47 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

WAY OT... (sorry )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
--stuff--

ghrocketman, I *love* your avatar It's been a while since i've seen that one. I drew that up for "AirForce", one of the guys over on the TRF forum that has since gotten out of rocketry (for the moment anyway )

It was freaky to see that come up LOL I haven't seen it in years!

very kewl
jim
Old 11-27-2005, 10:11 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Talking

Jim,
I think I actually got it from AirForce on TRF.
It was either that or the animated "pirate" flag that I use on "Scream and Fly" which is a high performance boating site I subscribe to. I thought the "AirForce" avatar was most appropriate here.
Fast boats are one of my other MANY hobbies, which also include Drag and fast Offshore boat racing, Poker (which I was involved with BEFORE the poker craze), R/C aircraft, Jet Skis, Target Shooting/firearm collecting.
My wife thinks I have far too many expensive hobbies.

Thanks for the Avatar !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

"I realise it's just a drawing, likely x-ray and whatever else, and D12 wasn;t 'flown' in there, etc.... but got me thinking since that makes the lower part BT50, and the clear section, maybe BT55 ? "

There IS a BT-56 sized clear payload tube. It comes with the "Super Nova Payloader" and it's an amazing 12" long!

They are out of production but where never very popular. eHobbies had them really cheap.

http://sandmandecals.com/