Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Master Modeler

Default "I Almost Lost My Eye!"

My own story: when I was a kid, we'd on go on summer vacations by car and since fireworks were illegal in our state, I'd beg to stop at fireworks stands if we'd pass them in other states. I bought ONE ten-shot Roman Candle among other things and we later shot it off in our back yard in our small community. It had a wood "handle," but warned "Do Not Hold in Hand" so I managed to get the wood "handle" firmly jammed into a joint in our back yard swing set. And, no, I didn't put potential bending forces on the candle body when doing so. I knew not to and the handle was long enough to allow just grabbing and pushing on it to suffice. My mom asked why I didn't just hold it like they did when she was a kid and I mentioned the warning.

Lit it, thump... thump... thump... BOOOOOM! It exploded into nothing, as loud as the "M-8000s" I and a friend later made using homemade flash powder in segments of the hard cardboard shipping tubes used by Estes for mail order motors. Anyway, immediately after the event there was silence. Nothing was said.

I ALMOST LOST MY EYE!
Tech Ingredients - 29 Dec 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2H3uCWocI

A GREAT channel, BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/@TechIngredients/videos
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 12-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Master Modeler

That was interesting, as well as being one of the shortest Tech Ingredients videos ever.

A very important message there.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 12-30-2022, 06:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
That was interesting, as well as being one of the shortest Tech Ingredients videos ever.

A very important message there.
Bad luck that the sandbags didn't completely surround the device. After all of the dangerous stuff he does, a cheap Chinese firework almost costs him an eye.

This makes me think that perhaps a rule for sandbags if only using two should be to place them in the front and back of the device instead on either side which seems to be the intuitive way everyone does it. That has two advantages: the device can't tip toward you while firing and you will be shielded from any explosion as you approach the device after a LONG wait. Just go fire something else while waiting.

At the annual Pyrotechnic Guild International meets I attended long ago, the cakes fired in the public shooting area were put in metal handle free plastic buckets about 1/4 full of sand.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 12-30-2022, 07:23 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston2021
[B]I ALMOST LOST MY EYE!

So... that's how you ended up like your avatar?
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 12-30-2022, 08:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
So... that's how you ended up like your avatar?
LOL, well, that video isn't about me. On the eye thing, that's from an original Outer Limits episode and was caused by radioisotope rain on an alien planet.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:49 AM
Master Modeler

On the official Red Green YouTube channel:

Up Close and Personal - "Edgar K. B. Montrose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FwSb7zd6M
Old 01-03-2023, 08:36 AM
Master Modeler

Chinese Fuse and Firecracker Manufacturing in 2003 (English Full Documentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqL49R-PKk

MUCH more automated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh_brnqqrLM

Playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=P...EjdFNJ7jfAmqWK_

Last edited by Winston2021 : 01-03-2023 at 09:34 AM.