Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Very nice!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades,

Just to complete the idea, attached is the rescue V-2 from above in the White Sands display scheme along with another rescue V-2 in the Ft. Bliss display scheme that my son and I rebuilt a couple of years ago. Both are of similar late-60's vintage with pre-Damon parachutes and formerly, with black, rubber, through-the-wall, shock cords since replaced with Kevlar. The white one is back from fin damage sustained at last Monday's launch.

I hope they last another 50 years.

Both look great!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Craftsman

Default Centuri Lottery

I bought these rockets for a future 'rescue'...a Centuri Javelin, Micro-Probe and Recruiter. They came in a lot that included 1 new 24" chute, one used 24 and 2 used 12". A set of instructions for a Laser X and 'some' motors to close the deal. No, not the big lottery, but not bad for $37.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  011.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  530.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  524.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  017.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  525.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  020.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  526.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  021.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  520.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  022.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  524.7 KB  
Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Where'd it go?

Tasty!

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Nice buy!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Craftsman

Thanks.....question for early motor experts, I know that Estes actually made 'Centuri' labeled motors in the early 60's, in fact I am not sure Centuri ever made their own 18mm before Damon. Several motors in this lot have the thick wall casing, paper eject charge retainer cap, and 65-69 production dates.....would/could they have been cranked out by 'Mabel'?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Master Modeler

Interesting mix of motors. Some before and some after the big motor design change.

The A5-4 was the metric version of the A.8-4. Is it of the thick or thin wall design? I suppose it is possible that old-style motors (A4, B4) were produced with metric labels . . . this would let us know.

AFAIK, Centuri-specific motors were only around for a few years. They had a distinct look; shiny hard nozzles and colored paper casings, a bit glossy. Maybe around until 1974.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Interesting mix of motors. Some before and some after the big motor design change.

The A5-4 was the metric version of the A.8-4. Is it of the thick or thin wall design? I suppose it is possible that old-style motors (A4, B4) were produced with metric labels . . . this would let us know.

AFAIK, Centuri-specific motors were only around for a few years. They had a distinct look; shiny hard nozzles and colored paper casings, a bit glossy. Maybe around until 1974.

It looks like the A5-4 and B8-6 both have thick wall casings...A5 has clay end cap and the B8 is paper. It would a kick if any of these were made by "Mabel"
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

How about a Rescue Sandhawk? This example was from eBay. Picture 1 shows it in its as-received state. Probably not launched, it had the E engine hook incorrectly installed and no engine block of any kind. The nose had two squares of Estes clay indicating this was almost certainly a Terrier-Sandhawk. And did I mention the ugly paint job?

Picture 2 shows initial work. The payload section was carefully sanded and reglued. The fin can was very carefully pried apart, revealing blue tube, yet another indication of fairly recent origin. The fin can, fins and payload section were soaked in a gallon Ziploc with Simple Green. The ugly two-tone green came off; the florescent didn't budge. I ended up scraping it off with my fingernail. Very tedious.

Picture 3 shows I cut away the original rings and replaced the engine hook with a D length hook I had in the spares box. I installed new rings, then wrapped the hook with a strip of cardstock. I also installed a thrust ring. I ballasted the nose cone with tungsten fishing weight and added wire antennae. I reglued the plastic parts using Plastruct Plastic Weld, a new-to-me product that worked great and gave a much better bond than Testors tube or liquid. I thought it worked better than Tenax. Finally, I added 3/16 lugs so I can use the bigger pad.

Picture 4 shows it ready to go in this evening's angry Texas sky. Paint scheme is the upper-stage Sandhawk pattern from Rockets of the World. Gray then White Duplicolor primer, Rustoleum Gloss White and Flat Black color coat. The red is Duplicolor Brilliant Red, a Chrysler color. The drawing is kinda small but it appears that the first band above the motor is colored so I used Rustoleum primer gray for the band and the fins. I picked out the bolts using Testors Acryl Gold. Finally, the nozzle was hand painted Testor Aluminium.

If I ever see the parts for the Terrier section, I could theoretically launch it as such. But it's far more likely to be launched by itself on C11-3 and D12-5. I have another rescue Sandhawk and an unfinished one from my childhood stash. Time to get them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  RescueSand1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  278.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RescueSand2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  342.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RescueSand4.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  309.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sandhawkiif.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  550.8 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 07-26-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Amazing rebuild and paint!

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!