Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Master Modeler

Tercel is a type of Hawk

John Boren
Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Tercel is a type of Hawk

John Boren

I would have said something about using Google.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Ok here's a question I didn't ask...

Why call it "Tercel"?? Interesting choice...
It certainly suggests an interesting pose for the "launcher" (the model's owner), which may appear in photographs in club newsletters: Him or her suspended ~3' off the ground, arms out, legs bent backwards and upwards, but with head bent backwards, looking skyward... Maybe clubs (or perhaps even Estes, the NAR and/or CAR) could hold contests for the best photographs of "Oh, oh, oh, oh--What a feeling--Toyota!" poses while flying Estes Tercel boost-gliders? (Come to think of it, "My Estes" or "John Boren" would be perfect three-syllable replacements for "Toyota" in that tagline.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-29-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Tercel is a type of Hawk

John Boren

John,

It was a real pleasure to finally meet you. I would like folks to know that not only did you bring and fly all those cool new models, but Estes donated a TON of stuff to the Cannon Educational auction, including most of the models shown in this thread. I DID bid on your built NARAM 53 commemorative model. I didn't get it but I did manage to run the price up a little, much to the consternation of my FAI teammate who ended up winnning it, LOL. And next year I'm bringing along some extra cash to be sure I get one of those Estes Mystery boxes. Those were amazing.

The buzz on your new products was very positive. I was especially tickled that so many of the sophisticated contest fliers really liked the "Estes Doorjamb" (sorry, I don't know what the real name of it will be. Really useful stuff.

Thanks again for being there with all the cool new products and thanks to whoever OK'd all those great donations!

Steve
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Steve, Thanks for your kind words.

I was wondering if those who won the mystery boxes, where happy with their contents.

The QCC Explorer with the NARAM color scheme was in fact my one and only prototype of this model. It was pretty beat up but a little primer, putty and paint covers up things pretty well. The Mega Mosquito was my first prototype as well. I have a second one in my office.

The door jam thing is going to be called the Ultimate Tube Marking Guide. I use it all the time now.

Since I didn’t want the hassle of shipping any thing back I asked Mike Fritz in marketing if it would be ok to leave it there and he said yes.

John Boren
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Steve, Thanks for your kind words.

I was wondering if those who won the mystery boxes, where happy with their contents.

Tom kept them up on the podium until they were all auctioned so nobody would open one prematurely. As each winner went up to pick up their box I kept hearing them say, "whoa, this is really heavy." Big crowds gathered afterward to see what was in them. I think most who didn't get one felt like me, really bummed I hadn't bid more.

Quote:

The door jam thing is going to be called the Ultimate Tube Marking Guide. I use it all the time now.

It's a ridiculously clever product. So simple that you wonder why no one thought of it before, and just really useful. Was it your idea?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
It's a ridiculously clever product. So simple that you wonder why no one thought of it before, and just really useful. Was it your idea?

Yes, the Ultimate Door Jam, Tube Cutting Guides and Motor Adpaters are all my ideas.

John Boren
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Master Modeler

I saw the tube cutters and adapters at NARCON (and met John). Good stuff all around.

So no one here remembers the RC hand launch glider kitted by Bridi called a Tercel? That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the name of John's new glider.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
I would have said something about using Google.

Yeah... we know...

OL JR
Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
BAR

Quote:
Tercel is a type of Hawk

John Boren

Cool...

(Johnny Carson voice) "Did not know that... Did not know that... Weird, wild stuff" (toss pencil in the air, listen to Ed McMahon guffaw)... (/Johnny Carson voice off)...

Thanks for the info...

Was hoping it wasn't named after a crappy car...

Later! OL JR