Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Looks to be Main Coon or at least part...

Nice cats... I liked ol' Stripey... he lived a very long happy life...

Later! OL JR

Yes, and that's what Marilyn tells me she is. A Maine Coon. When we got her from the animal shelter, she had been given an extreme haircut by the previous adopter who had returned her.
She looked like a lion or a poodle, as both her head and tail still had long hair while her body had received a crew cut. It took a few months to grow back.

She has a very gentle disposition and is the quietest cat I've ever seen. Even her purring is quiet. However, she is absolutely terrified when a stranger comes up the drive to deliver a package or just to visit, and immediately hits the afterburners in search of a safe hiding place.

Cats. They are amazing creatures but impossible to figure out.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Seems I've heard the exact same thought...expressed about women

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 PM
BAR

Quote:
Yes, and that's what Marilyn tells me she is. A Maine Coon. When we got her from the animal shelter, she had been given an extreme haircut by the previous adopter who had returned her.
She looked like a lion or a poodle, as both her head and tail still had long hair while her body had received a crew cut. It took a few months to grow back.

She has a very gentle disposition and is the quietest cat I've ever seen. Even her purring is quiet. However, she is absolutely terrified when a stranger comes up the drive to deliver a package or just to visit, and immediately hits the afterburners in search of a safe hiding place.

I enjoyed the 13 year old Main Coon that came to live with us in his old age... Stripe was my sister's husband's cat growing up, and he lived at home with his Dad until he passed away, and Tommy's younger brother's nutcase wife was really abusing him and neglecting him. Tommy and Julie were renting a house where they couldn't bring him to their place, so we "inherited him"... he lived with us a number of years before he finally died of old age...

They are pretty quiet and mostly pretty good cats... he was usually pretty relaxed and easygoing... the only gripe I had was, well, how to put it... Main Coons have very long thick fur, all over their bodies... including around their bunghole... and that long hair can tend to, umm... get matted... with, ummm... material. and when that fur gets "impacted", well ol' Stripey would put his @ss down against the carpet, raise both hind legs as high as he could, and walk on his front paws, dragging his @ss across the carpet to, ummm... clean himself... yeah, that's it...

Er, something like that. Usually at that point Betty would fuss at him and then grab some scissors and turn the cat, umm... bottom side up, and do some... ummm... trimming...

Yeah, that's it...

Later! OL JR
Old 03-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

The following two cat-related items are from "Grimbold's Other World" by Nicholas Stuart Gray. This eclectic 1963 book of stories and poetry (if one took a musical film and turned it into a book, it would be rather like this work) is like no other I've ever read. One word of explanation is in order first; his use of the word "cur" below is not an insult, but refers--because he wrote in British English--to a mongrel dog. Here they are:

"Chorus for a Cat"

I will never subject be,
I am free.
Try to curb me and, no doubt,
You'll find out

"Creature of Darkness"

Just exactly what a claw
Is for!
Or I'll dematerialize
Before your eyes:
Ere you lay a hand upon
Me, I'm gone!
You may think I'm in the lane;
Think again.
You may guess I'm on the roof;
Any proof?
I am not to hold or bind
Or find.

I will hunt and sing and fight
In the night;
All day long I lie and doze,
Comatose:
Never answer when you call
And bawl.
If to order me you choose,
You will lose.
Try to understand my mind,
Then you'll find
Truest friendship I will give
While I live;
Kindly amiability,
And sympathy.
If subservience you prefer,
Buy a cur!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Well, we have verbal permission to fly, now we are working to get written permission to use use the field.

It does not matter to me as far as actually flying rockets is concerned... I can fly at a local park all I want, but I would still like the Section to have at least one additional field. Also, flying alone is not as fun as flying with the group...
But most of the members did not seem super-enthusiastic about the park anyway. The field close to the parking lot was too small (although it is wider than the current field), and the large field to too far from the parking lot to carry all of our stuff.

We'll be launching at our normal 300' wide field this weekend, I just have to remember to get to the store this week. I am completely out of 18mm motors, and 13mm rockets...
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Master Modeler

Ask permission to use the access road

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:38 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

OUT of 18mm motors ??? WTH ?

I have not been OUT of 18mm or 24mm motors since I was age 8 !!!
!
I think I have at least 60 24mm SU motors and at least 100 reloads for the RMS24 case in stock right now.

In 18mm I have at least double that quantity combining all SU and RMS18 reloads.

I buy em whenever I get a good local deal or through online private sales.

I once bought over 100 paks (3 to a pak) of RMS24 reloads for under $200 from a hobby shop that was closing down. Bought those through the auction section of the old 'Rocketry Online' site.
Some paks of D9's and D15's but mostly F24's, F39's, and E28's. Only a couple paks of E18's and F12's.
THAT was the deal of the century. Works out to under $2/3pak or about 69 cents/composite 24mm load !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Almost shovel ready

Take some pictures if you can and post them here. I'd love to see them and I'm sure others would share that view. Three Cheers for you John! Your perseverance should be emulated.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Ask permission to use the access road

We were going to do that after the inaugural launch - just so they could see that we are not a bunch of crazy people. Well... you know what I mean...
Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
Well, we have verbal permission to fly, now we are working to get written permission to use use the field.

It does not matter to me as far as actually flying rockets is concerned... I can fly at a local park all I want, but I would still like the Section to have at least one additional field. Also, flying alone is not as fun as flying with the group...
But most of the members did not seem super-enthusiastic about the park anyway. The field close to the parking lot was too small (although it is wider than the current field), and the large field to too far from the parking lot to carry all of our stuff.

We'll be launching at our normal 300' wide field this weekend, I just have to remember to get to the store this week. I am completely out of 18mm motors, and 13mm rockets...
Given the prodigious effort--over a very long period of time--that you put forth to secure the use of the park, I'm disappointed in their apparent lack of gratitude for what you did for them (I'm hoping that they just aren't fully aware of the depth and duration of your labors). One day they might be Karkadam-ed glad that they have its two (too small, or too far away) fields available, if other flying sites are unavailable at the time for various reasons.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR