Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Master Modeler

Default The Beatles 50 years ago tonight!

The Beatles 50 years ago tonight! I'm watching right now play the song 'Something'. If I'm not mistaken, Eric Clapton played lead guitar on this number.
So where is Eric tonight?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

That's George playing lead/slide on Something. Eric played on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's George playing lead/slide on Something. Eric played on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Oh Right!

Still, I had a good cry seeing Paul and Ringo together again since when(?) honoring their former bandmates.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Oh Right!

Still, I had a good cry seeing Paul and Ringo together again since when(?) honoring their former bandmates.

Paul and Ringo played together on the one year anniversary of George's death at the Concert for George in 2002.

Paul played ukelele on Something in that show, with the rest of the band joining in (including Clapton singing) later in the song. However, it was Mark Mann playing lead on it.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Oh Right!

Was kinda wondering as they finished up if they would ever play together on stage again.

I saw Paul in concert back in '93 and thought the years were adding up a bit then (though he and wife Linda and band put on a great show). Now he's 70 or so and the high notes just don't come as easy for him. I hope however I'm as energetic as he and Ringo were tonight when I'm that age.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Was kinda wondering as they finished up if they would ever play together on stage again.

I saw Paul in concert back in '93 and thought the years were adding up a bit then (though he and wife Linda and band put on a great show). Now he's 70 or so and the high notes just don't come as easy for him. I hope however I'm as energetic as he and Ringo were tonight when I'm that age.

I've seen Paul and Ringo in concert four times each, but, of course, never together in person. I can't imagine it actually happening, but I'd love to see Paul join one of Ringo's All-Starr traveling shows. (Even without Paul) They are a lot of fun.

BTW .. Guess who gave Ringo the button that he's wearing in the following video! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3N7VFWcQw

-- Roger
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
I've seen Paul and Ringo in concert four times each, but, of course, never together in person. I can't imagine it actually happening, but I'd love to see Paul join one of Ringo's All-Starr traveling shows. (Even without Paul) They are a lot of fun.

BTW .. Guess who gave Ringo the button that he's wearing in the following video! :-)

-- Roger

I've seen both just once and Ringo had a female(a 1st) drummer(a 1st) in the band. If I can find the program I'll post the lineup that year.

With both being headline act shows, who would open, who would close, when do they solo?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox

-- Roger

Saw the button, but could not quite make out what it was......fill us in!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Saw the button, but could not quite make out what it was......fill us in!

It's a Harry Nilsson "Duet on Mon Dei" button.

My girlfriend (now wife), brother, and I travelled to California in 1998 for a convention of Harry Nilsson fans. Before we left, a friend who worked in television in LA asked if we were interested in attending a taping of the Tonight Show. We said, "yes, of course!"

She got us VIP tickets for Monday, June 15th, because, she said, it's easier to get tickets for Mondays. This was probably a month before the trip.

Just before we left for LA, we learned that Ringo would be a guest on the show. It was and interesting coincidence - or set of coincidences. We were in LA for a convention of Harry Nilsson fans. Nilsson was Ringo's best friend. We had tickets for the Tonight Show before we knew that Ringo would be the guest. And ... June 15th was Harry Nilsson's birthday!

The Tonight Show is taped in the early afternoon. So, that morning some of the other Nilsson fans and us decided that we had to put together a gift package to give to Ringo.

We took a t-shirt, some brochures, and other things associated with the Nilsson event and wrapped them in clear plastic. Before we closed the package, I noticed our friend Curtis was wearing a Harry Nilsson "Duet on Mon Dei" button. I asked if that was the only ome of those buttons that he had. I don't recall his answer, but his button did end up in the package on top of a note that read "Dear Ringo. Please wear this button on the show. If you don't, we want it back."

We sealed the package in the plastic and I arranged with someone at The Tonight Show to drop it off at the security gate when we arrived at the studio. Then we left for the short drive to Burbank.

The short drive got longer because I missed the exit. We arrived late and illegally parked on the side of the road like everyone else. Fortunately, as special VIPs, we didn't have to stand in the line for tickets. Unfortunately, even so we didn't have time to drop the package off at security.

So, we went to the VIP lounge and I asked a page to take the package. I assumed that it would just end up on someone's desk somewhere.

Then, they seated us in the studio. The VIP seats are up high, away from the stage. We sat behind the family of the comedian scheduled to appear on the show.

After the warm-up (which featured a cameo by Fabio), the show started. Leno came out and did the monologue. Then there was a break for the commercials (the film the show "live" even though it is taped). Then, we were suprised that Ringo was the first guest. Leno introduced him and he walked out from back stage.

We immediately saw the button on his lapel. My girlfriend (now wife!), said, "that's not our button. It's too big." I said, "Ringo's small."

Then we looked up on the monitors and saw that it was the button from our package.

During the next commercial break, Ringo talked with Leno then interacted with the audience. We were up in the balcony, but Bracha got Ringo's attention and mimed that we were the ones that gave him the button. He gave us a "thumbs up."

After the taping, we stayed back as the audience left, just in case, but were told that Ringo had left as soon as his band's performance had ended. We did hang around long enough to overhear the condolences given to the bumped comedian by his family.

A few years later, we got tickets for Ringo's All-Starr show in Orlando. Just for the heck of it, I called Ringo's publicist and left a voicemail about the possibility of meeting Ringo. I didn't hear back until the day of the show when I had a message on my answering machine telling me to stop by the "will call" window at the theater.

When we got there, it took a while for anyone to find out what I was supposed to get. Finally, someone brought out an envelope with my name on it. Inside was a "Photo Pass" from the company producing the tour. I went back to our car and grabbed my SLR.

During the show, I was able to take photos. We tried to use the pass to get backstage, but no one at the Hard Rock theater had a clue what the pass I wore meant. We weren't able to get backstage and didn't meet Ringo even though I think we were supposed to. Nevertheless, I had a lot of fun being able to take photos and walk up to the foot of the stage during the show.

-- Roger
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 PM

Wow ... I think that was my longest post ever in this forum ... and not a bit of it was on topic!

:-)

-- Roger