Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Skylab Astronaut Owen Garriott

Garriott passed away yesterday. He was a temporary record holder with 60 days in space in 1973. He later flew on the shuttle Columbia and was the first to operate HAM radio from orbit.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Apollo Nut

One of only a handful that did fly in an Apollo capsule and then stayed on long enough to get a seat on a shuttle mission. John Young, Ken Mattingly, Jack Lousma and Vance Brand are the others that come to mind, but I could have missed one.

These guys are getting on up in years for sure. Sad to think that in the not-too-distant future they will all be gone, just like the Mercury astros.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
One of only a handful that did fly in an Apollo capsule and then stayed on long enough to get a seat on a shuttle mission. John Young, Ken Mattingly, Jack Lousma and Vance Brand are the others that come to mind, but I could have missed one.

These guys are getting on up in years for sure. Sad to think that in the not-too-distant future they will all be gone, just like the Mercury astros.

Earl

Young had the hat trick. Gemini, Apollo (walked on moon), and 1st shuttle mission. Cool as a corned beef sandwich.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Garriott passed away yesterday.
I spent the summer of 1980 working in the oil patch in Enid, Oklahoma. The main drag thru town east-west is Owen K. Garriott Road (US 412).

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I spent the summer of 1980 working in the oil patch in Enid, Oklahoma. The main drag thru town east-west is Owen K. Garriott Road (US 412).

Doug

I remember seeing that street sign! My grandmother lived in Enid for over 20 years. We used to visit her a lot up there. One Memorial Day weekend in 1983 I saw the biggest hailstones I ever saw. They were bigger than Chicago softballs.......
Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Young had the hat trick. Gemini, Apollo (walked on moon), and 1st shuttle mission. Cool as a corned beef sandwich.

Yes, very cool character...and he should know a thing or two about corned beef sandwiches, too! (trivia joke there for those who know the history of Gemini 3, first Gemini mission, commanded by Grissom, with Young on his first flight).

And yes, hat trick...actually, hat trick X 2! He did two Gemini, two Apollos, and two shuttles. And one of only three men to make TWO trips to the moon: Apollo 10 and then 16 where, as you mnetioned, he walked on the moon as mission commander.

And that first shuttle mission he flew with Crippen was one of the gutsiest flights any astros has ever flown. Watching that one live (on TV) back in April '81, I think I held my breath solid until SRB sep. Never flown vehicle and here were Young and Crippen riding along come hell or high water (or maybe a little of each of those type flight disasters). Ejection seats yes, but would they ever really be used? Doubt it very seriously.

He also did something like 12 years as Chief of the Astronaut Office, until sometime after the Challenger disaster, basically for (rightly) being critical of NASA management and flight practices, which he had been flagging before the accident.

And I think by the time he retired he had something like 40+ years with NASA.

If I had to select one 'best all around' astronaut *ever* it would probably be Young.

Oh, and he was a Georgia Tech grad.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 04-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.