Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM
BP Mafia

Default Ebay rescue rockets

I picked up another lot of birds tonight, which got me thinking about how many I have in my flying circus. Instead of driving myself crazy trying to do it in my head, I let the voices argue among themselves and checked my Rocket Reviews list. This is what I came up with.

Quest - Area 51 Saucer This was an afterthought that turned out to be the deal of the lot. Everything else in the box was junk, but this one just needed a little spit, polish, and super glue. 3 flights to date.

MPC - Zenith 2 Payloader Unflown as of this date. Not sure if the booster is too tight to properly separate.

FSI - Dart Came unknowingly loaded with an FSI A4-4. I just need to get the nerve up to fly it this year.

Estes - X-16 Missing fins replaced and waiting for paint.

Estes - Voyager II Pretty badly beaten, and I initially figured I'd build a clone around the original nose cone, but it turned out to be restorable and has logged several flights. Still not painted. 3 flights to date.

Estes - V-2 Badly built old K-series V-2. It's flown, but the fins were cut improperly, and every landing means another break. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars X-Wing Fighter Bought from the estate of a New York high school teacher. Missing a "pincher". Flown at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars R2D2 Still needs some work, but should fly this summer.

Estes - Star Trek Came with a launcher and everything. Ugly, but carries itself with vintage cool. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Blazer My first Ebay rescue. 6 flights to date, the last coming 11 years ago.

Estes - Sky-Hi Sadly too far gone to save, but the nose cone lives on.

Estes - Screamer Poorly built Screamer that came with the Apogee Whiz, but it came with an unused decal. Unflown at the moment.

Estes - Satellite Interceptor Really rough when it arrived, but I did a lot of work and got it looking pretty decent, then printed off some decals for it. 4 flights to date.

Estes - Sandhawk Made the bid and had no expectations of winning the auction, but I was the only bidder. Broken fin repaired and flew it at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Raven This kit was sold as "started, but complete and in good condition". It turned out to be two rockets, both mutilated. Eventually became an Estes National Aerospace Plane after I rebuilt the STEPPED ON nose cone. No idea what the second rocket was.

Estes - Mini Shuttle Replaced missing fin. A8-3 flight at B6-4 Field. Should have gone with the B6-4 like I do every other BT-60 bird.

Estes - Mini Bomarc Brittle old wreck that looks like it was painted with nail polish. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Estes - Micron Nicely done. Great patina. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Honest John A nicely done vintage kit, but fins are wiggly from repeated landings that turned the body tube to an almost cloth-like consistency. One flight to date.

Estes - Galactic Taxi Badly built with crooked fins. Replaced and straightened the fins and flew it on an A8-3.

Estes - E.A.C. Viper Broke a fin in a past life. Rebuilt as a three fin bird in that life. UGLY! 5 flights to date.

Estes - Challenger-1 Badly abused bird that fell apart when I pulled the nose cone out. This was a good thing because it meant I could replace the typing paper original body tube. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Bullpup 12D Replaced broken fin and flew it on a B6-4. Very squirrelly.

Estes - Beta A hot pink mess that came with the equally ugly Shrike. I'd still like to fly it as a two stager. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Shrike Ugliest Shrike in existence. Looks like the kid painted it with whatever he found in the garage. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Apogee Whiz Another afterthought that I eventually decided I had to repair and fly. The nose cone had been lost and replaced with a balsa sculpture which was lost on the first flight. 1 flight to date.

Ebay - Flying Turd The one that started it all. Bought back when the ability of Ebay to show photographs was in its infancy. It was listed as an Estes Wildfire, so I bought it to cannibalize the cone for a Satellite Interceptor clone. When it arrived it was a BT-55 upscale, badly built with epoxy and ugly as sin. Wound up redeeming itself by being a stellar performer at B6-4 Field. 10 flights to date.

CMR - Effy This one took some detective work to find out just what it was. Featherweight and screams off the pad. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Screaming Eagle Liked this one so much I did it twice. The first one was a starter kit from Australia, complete with launcher and a broken fin. Flew it once. The second was perfect with just the right amount of patina. 4 flights to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - S.S.V. Scorpion This one was a heartbreaker. It was so badly beaten when I got it that I shored it up as best I could and flew it once. Cannibalized for parts. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Mach 10 I was thrilled to land this one, but the flights are disappointing when compared to my clones. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Jayhawk Rough old original. Flown once and retired. 1 flight to date. Retired.

Estes - Nova Star Ship Too far gone to restore, but the nose cone went to clone a Scout Ship Nova and the motor mount just pulled out. It was unglued!!!

Estes - Challenger II I first thought this one was going to join the Nova Star Ship in the junk pile because the body tube was badly bent, but the fin unit just pulled off and I was able to cut the body tube and insert a coupler to shore the bent section up. Other than that, the tube is yellowed and the decals chipping, but that's just "patina".

Estes - Vindicator (2) Neither of the two were flightworthy, but one was pretty obviously the better of the two. I scavenged the fins from one to complete the other. Not pretty, but it's all there.

Estes - Sunbird One of those "why?" birds from Estes. 4fnc and generic looks. Reattached a fin and flew it once. Shock cord broke and the rocket body chased its tail down while the nose cone and streamer fell straight to earth. The two pieces nearly collided at the 50-foot mark. Retired.

Estes - Comet Replaced missing fin and flew it on a B6-4. Left it ugly.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 08-05-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Adding more rockets
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

ALL of the Centuri Mach-10's I have seen in the past flew like a greased MAN-HOLE COVER.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
ALL of the Centuri Mach-10's I have seen in the past flew like a greased MAN-HOLE COVER.

The originals weren't all that great, but I've had a lot of success with clones. I've also had flights like the one that hit the wire while carrying the camera a few years ago, but that was an upscale.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

I too am a believer in Rescue Rockets:

(2 !) Centuri 1/100 Saturn Ib's on eBay cheap. One was missing six fins; the other was missing one fin and a capsule and tower. Both are flyable.

Estes BT-101 Maxi V-2 - after a complete rebuilt, down to splitting the fins apart and regluing, it's flyable

Estes BT-55 V-2 - flyable

(2) Estes Interceptors - need paint; thinking of doing a Mexi-ceptor and an ADC grey

(3) Estes space shuttles -none salvageable; anybody want a built booster/ET? I have two.

Estes Swing-wing Crusader - salvageable but it needs ALOT of work

MPC Nike-Smoke - not salvageable; kept the nose and parachute

Estes Avenger -jury's still out; glassine is peeling off

Estes Midget - flyable on mini engines thanks to the simultaneous release of the Semroc kit

? Moondance - not salvageable; kept the nose and parachute

Estes Wolverine - flyable but needs a canopy

Most of these were acquired at least three years ago; there is a tremendous backlog on my work-bench . . . .

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

I'll post my list later - there aren't as may good deals as there used to be, but I still keep looking.

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I picked up another lot of birds tonight, which got me thinking about how many I have in my flying circus. Instead of driving myself crazy trying to do it in my head, I let the voices argue among themselves and checked my Rocket Reviews list. This is what I came up with.

Quest - Area 51 Saucer This was an afterthought that turned out to be the deal of the lot. Everything else in the box was junk, but this one just needed a little spit, polish, and super glue. 3 flights to date.

MPC - Zenith 2 Payloader Unflown as of this date. Not sure if the booster is too tight to properly separate.

FSI - Dart Came unknowingly loaded with an FSI A4-4. I just need to get the nerve up to fly it this year.

Estes - X-16 On the way.......

Estes - Voyager II Pretty badly beaten, and I initially figured I'd build a clone around the original nose cone, but it turned out to be restorable and has logged several flights. Still not painted. 3 flights to date.

Estes - V-2 Badly built old K-series V-2. It's flown, but the fins were cut improperly, and every landing means another break. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars X-Wing Fighter Bought from the estate of a New York high school teacher. Missing a "pincher". Flown at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars R2D2 Still needs some work, but should fly this summer.

Estes - Star Trek Came with a launcher and everything. Ugly, but carries itself with vintage cool. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Blazer My first Ebay rescue. 6 flights to date, the last coming 11 years ago.

Estes - Sky-Hi Sadly too far gone to save, but the nose cone lives on.

Estes - Screamer Poorly built Screamer that came with the Apogee Whiz, but it came with an unused decal. Unflown at the moment.

Estes - Satellite Interceptor Really rough when it arrived, but I did a lot of work and got it looking pretty decent, then printed off some decals for it. 4 flights to date.

Estes - Sandhawk Made the bid and had no expectations of winning the auction, but I was the only bidder. Broken fin repaired and flew it at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Raven This kit was sold as "started, but complete and in good condition". It turned out to be two rockets, both mutilated. Eventually became an Estes National Aerospace Plane after I rebuilt the STEPPED ON nose cone. No idea what the second rocket was.

Estes - Mini Shuttle On the way......

Estes - Mini Bomarc Brittle old wreck that looks like it was painted with nail polish. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Estes - Micron Nicely done. Great patina. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Honest John A nicely done vintage kit, but fins are wiggly from repeated landings that turned the body tube to an almost cloth-like consistency. One flight to date.

Estes - Galactic Taxi On the way.....

Estes - E.A.C. Viper Broke a fin in a past life. Rebuilt as a three fin bird in that life. UGLY! 5 flights to date.

Estes - Challenger-1 Badly abused bird that fell apart when I pulled the nose cone out. This was a good thing because it meant I could replace the typing paper original body tube. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Bullpup 12D On the way......

Estes - Beta A hot pink mess that came with the equally ugly Shrike. I'd still like to fly it as a two stager. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Shrike Ugliest Shrike in existence. Looks like the kid painted it with whatever he found in the garage. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Apogee Whiz Another afterthought that I eventually decided I had to repair and fly. The nose cone had been lost and replaced with a balsa sculpture which was lost on the first flight. 1 flight to date.

Ebay - Flying Turd The one that started it all. Bought back when the ability of Ebay to show photographs was in its infancy. It was listed as an Estes Wildfire, so I bought it to cannibalize the cone for a Satellite Interceptor clone. When it arrived it was a BT-55 upscale, badly built with epoxy and ugly as sin. Wound up redeeming itself by being a stellar performer at B6-4 Field. 10 flights to date.

CMR - Effy This one took some detective work to find out just what it was. Featherweight and screams off the pad. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Screaming Eagle Liked this one so much I did it twice. The first one was a starter kit from Australia, complete with launcher and a broken fin. Flew it once. The second was perfect with just the right amount of patina. 4 flights to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - S.S.V. Scorpion This one was a heartbreaker. It was so badly beaten when I got it that I shored it up as best I could and flew it once. Cannibalized for parts. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Mach 10 I was thrilled to land this one, but the flights are disappointing when compared to my clones. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Jayhawk Rough old original. Flown once and retired. 1 flight to date. Retired.
SAM #0031
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
BP Mafia

My latest four arrived today. Rough, and not exactly built with anything resembling craftsmanlike skills, but those are the kinds of rockets I can fly at B6-4 Field without worry.
The Galactic Taxi is dirty, fairly chewed up, and contains a spent C6-5 engine casing, telling me that someone flew this thing without regard for recovery, kinda like me at age 14. I've already got one fin reattached and I need to find what the fiddly bits are that seem to be missing. It will also need a new recovery system, the one included having dry rotted. If I fly this weekend, this one will likely be on the card. No matter how fugly it is.
The Mini Shuttle is dirty, missing the tail fin, has a loosened wing, and is also loaded with a spent C6-5. It also had wax drippings on it in several spots. The C6-5 sticks out past the engine hook by about the length of an engine block, leading me to believe that the engine hook was installed at the wrong end of the engine block. (Surprisingly, I've never done that. ) The new fin should be easy, and I think a general overall cleaning will make a huge difference.
The Bullpup was missing a rear fin. Looks like a quicky build. No sealer, but the decals are real decals, not peel and stick. Feels like it weighs a ton. The broken fin is back on and drying as I type. Definitely on the flight card the next time out.
The X-16 is the roughest of the bunch. All three rear fins are off. One is missing. The decals are peeling to the point that I blew some dust off and one of the decals went flying off in pieces. It's loaded with a spent B6-4. I think this one gets a full restore. It's cool and seldom seen.

I miss being SAM 0058

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 05-01-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 PM
BP Mafia

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-2-vi...c#ht_139wt_1292

These arrived today. ASTRON MOJO, BABY!!!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Yeah, I got one, too. About a month ago: a Maxi-V-2. The eBay picture is already gone but I'll post a picture as received.

I'd like to give it the full restoration but that will depend on the quality of the original fin joint. I seriously doubt this kit will be re-released although it would be a good candidate for the new 29mm motors. If I recall correctly, Estes would need to make new forms for the fins.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-2-vi...c#ht_139wt_1292
These arrived today. ASTRON MOJO, BABY!!!

Your original list is pretty impressive, nice score on the Sprite and Streak!

I've only re-built a few built by others, not my favorite thing to do.
It amazes me what people get wrong just because they want to get it in the air quickly.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Yeah, I got one, too. About a month ago: a Maxi-V-2. The eBay picture is already gone but I'll post a picture as received.

I'd like to give it the full restoration but that will depend on the quality of the original fin joint. I seriously doubt this kit will be re-released although it would be a good candidate for the new 29mm motors. If I recall correctly, Estes would need to make new forms for the fins.

There is a three rocket lot up right now that I'd love to have, but the shipping is almost $100. A Shadow, a Python and another one I can't recall at the moment.

I miss being SAM 0058