Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
weren't some of the moderators prominent NAR members?

I honestly don't know. I don't know who the moderators are.

Quote:
That said, to be clear, I'm not being critical of anyone's involvement there. I still believe in your mantra of paying it forward, and I see the web - forums in particular - as being a great channel for doing that.

Actually, it's Harry Stine's mantra. He always said that it was MY responsibility to pay forward, and it was pretty clear he meant it as both a personal and corporate mandate.

My $0.02; I think the net in general is a two edged sword re: paying forward. It can both help and hurt.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
That is why I like it here so much better!

Among many other reasons.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I wouldn't give them 3 cents worth of dog poop or a glass of garbage juice.

Agreed... OL J R
Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 AM
Craftsman

TRF has always had issues of some sort, but since the current owners took over from troj... ugh. The organised begging is over the top. As I'm sure Scott can attest - yes, there's costs involved in keeping a site maintained and available. It isn't so ridiculously over the top to warrant the level of begging that TRF does. What they do is "monetising" - making a living from the gullible that think they are "keeping TRF alive". Heck, even a couple of the vendors defend their right to have to pay $25/m to post an occasional for sale advert in that ghost town.

FWIW, I asked Angie to let Austen know that if the site was so much of a burden to keep on the 'net I would buy it. They deleted the post.

Seriously, if Wildman created a forum on his site and had Crazy Jim post all his builds there, TRF would be dead in 3 months.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
TRF has always had issues of some sort, but since the current owners took over from troj... ugh. The organised begging is over the top. As I'm sure Scott can attest - yes, there's costs involved in keeping a site maintained and available. It isn't so ridiculously over the top to warrant the level of begging that TRF does. What they do is "monetising" - making a living from the gullible that think they are "keeping TRF alive". Heck, even a couple of the vendors defend their right to have to pay $25/m to post an occasional for sale advert in that ghost town.

FWIW, I asked Angie to let Austen know that if the site was so much of a burden to keep on the 'net I would buy it. They deleted the post.

Seriously, if Wildman created a forum on his site and had Crazy Jim post all his builds there, TRF would be dead in 3 months.

Yeah, it's not surprising... can't recall whom but someone really cringed and let the cat out of the bag when they found out who "Troj" sold it to... a bunch of "web developers" (advertising shills looking for a quick easy buck). I wish I could remember who it was that basically had their number from day one-- they mentioned they had been part of a metal detecting or mineral hound forum that the same group of A-holes bought and they basically destroyed the place. Started out "nothing will change" and then before long just NUKED the place with ads, just swamped it, then started offering "paid memberships" to eliminate *some* of the ads down to a manageable level... Sound familiar?? This is EXACTLY what they did on the Terribly Run Forum... And of course laying claim to *anything* that anybody had EVER posted on the forum then became *their personal property* and so all the really creative people and most of the vendors left... then of course they also started strongarming the vendors, basically robbing them, just for "rights to post" on their stink pot of a forum while never even holding up their end of the agreement-- just a continual shakedown.

The owners were lying scumbags anyway-- they said REPEATEDLY they weren't gonna do *any* of that stuff, yet that's EXACTLY what they did, just "one drop at a time" so nobody would notice (people have a notoriously short memory about such things). That coupled with the usual layer of crap from moderators and a few individuals over there and crybabies who ran around looking for trouble, that just finally was the last straw, and I dumped the Terribly Run Forum in the crapper where it belongs.

It's just a darn shame that the former owner, "Troj" was SO selfish that he took a bigger payday when he cashed out rather than selling it for less to an actual "dedicated rocket hobbyist" who would run the forum BY AND FOR the rocketry community. Instead he sold it to a bunch of snake oil salesmen who've turned it into a TBN telethon to line their own pockets...

Truly sickening...

Later! OL J R
Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 PM
BAR

Here ya go...

REMEMBER-- GIVE EARLY!!! GIVE OFTEN!!!

later! OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TRF Jim Bakker Telethon 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  75.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TRF Jim Bakker Telethon 2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  163.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TRF Jim Bakker Telethon 3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  142.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TRF Jim Bakker Telethon 4.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  42.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TRF Artoo.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  46.5 KB  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:50 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

It was an over-moderated total POS when troj owned it.... certain POS clowns there could do no wrong (most of the moderators) where others could not even sneeze without getting a warning or temporary ban. I could name at least half a dozen from memory and I have not been there for at least 5 years as even a lurker.
The new owners simply added a bunch of ads turning a steaming turd into a Tyrannosaurus sized pile of percolating fecal matter.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Level 1

Banned as well. Replied to thier constant spamming for cash, stating "Stop asking me for money. Get lost". They didn't like that reply....works or me.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

For some reason TRF won't take my money.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Rocket Huckster

TRF Banned and Proud
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us