Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default SEMROC and USPS

It's been a great combination...until this week. I usually get a box in two days, and at the most three. It's been a week now. I looked at the tracking info and the USPS has routed my box all the way to San Antonio TX, where it has been for two days. I live in TN right next door to North Carolina!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Master Modeler

I once had a package leave from Chicago to San Fran over to Dallas then up to Boston. I live in NH.
I printed the tracking and showed it to the driver. He said he would give it to his manager. I gat a call from USPS two days later saying there was a glitch in one of the scanners and it got rerouted. They said I was lucky to get it at all!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM
BP Mafia

I think the USPS Maximum Abuse facility is based in San Antonio. The good news is that the box and contents will be perfect for lining the gerbil cage with by the time it gets to you.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I think the USPS Maximum Abuse facility is based in San Antonio. The good news is that the box and contents will be perfect for lining the gerbil cage with by the time it gets to you.

I went through a phase 4-5 years ago that every WHITE box that got delivered to the house was crushed. Not always with damage to the contents, but a number of times it was. One was a SEMROC order, with damaged fin stock on sheet (quickly replaced by Cheryl!) and another was a mint Centuri Saturn 1b kit in original color kit box. THAT shipment was almost a total loss (some kit parts were salvageable), but resulted in a sizable postal insurance claim.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Master Modeler

I will (touch wood) say that to this point I have not had a damaged box from Semroc via USPS. Possibly because of the speed with which they arrive. I have had a box from Estes upon which the unmistakable mark of a size 12 Red Wing could be seen, but only had a couple of tubes made elliptical. I thank the postal Gods for their blessing
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

I'm sorry TB but I must have put it on the wrong truck. Saw your name on the box and saw that it was from Semroc, I lost control. I thought I "accidentally" put it on the Bakersfield CA truck. How it ended up in Texas is beyond me.

I had one package from Alabama that went to Michigan, twice. It arrived in Memphis, the next day it appeared in Michigan. Michigan sent it back to Memphis. It arrived in Memphis and got sent to Michigan again. It was sent back to Memphis. It sat in the downtown facility in Memphis for two more days with tracking scans for both days, no movement just scans. It arrived at my local branch in the evening of the third day and was left on my doorstep on the fourth day. (Which was actually the ninth day from when it was first sent to me from Alabama) The address was perfect. No tears or smeared ink on the address label. Correct street and #, correct zip. A perfect label. Why did it go to Michigan twice?

Why did it get picked up and scanned two days in a row but no body could pick it up, place in in a parcel bin for shipment to the station?

NAR Level 1 - 3/12/11
NAR Level 2 - 4/9/11
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Old BAR

Just about any time I receive something damaged in shipment, it is from United Parcel Service.
UPS is the absolute worst in how they treat their packages.

I have had great luck with USPS, however. Over 400 packages through the years and only 1 or 2 with any bad damage that affected the contents.

Lucky?

Allen
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001
I'm sorry TB but I must have put it on the wrong truck. Saw your name on the box and saw that it was from Semroc, I lost control. I thought I "accidentally" put it on the Bakersfield CA truck. How it ended up in Texas is beyond me.

I should have known!

My worst experience was back in the 90's when I had an AR-15 upper assembly shipped (totally legal, even during the "ban") and it got shipped and delivered to CT. Yes, delivered. I'd like to think the person who opened it had the obtuse mentality of Diane "that shoulder thing that goes up" Feinstein! (The quote is her answer to what a barrel shroud is.)

BTW, the box has finally made it back to Memphis. Randy, I hope you don't work on Saturdays!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
It sat in the downtown facility in Memphis for two more days with tracking scans for both days, no movement just scans.
I ordered something a while back, auto parts I think, and the package sat in one location for 2 or 3 days. My best guess, albeit Machiavellian, was that, since I only paid for the slowest delivery, they were making sure it didn't get there quickly

I've had packages get here in 1 day while only paying for slow-boat, but they came from only a couple counties away. And, as I recall, that was the case here, the package wasn't coming from very far away, but it surely seemed like they were delaying it intentionally.

Doug

YORF member #11