Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I just looked at my spreadsheet —164 kits, but I have a few not catalogued, so maybe 170. I have tubes, nose cones, and other parts to build maybe 25 more rockets. Let’s say an even 200. And I have resosted almost all the new Estes offerings, so the list is going to grow when I finally cannot hold off any longer from buying them.
I started a low-carb diet in June, and I’m down 14 lbs. I got tired of the doctor yelling at me at each annual physical, plus, I need more time to build everything I’ve got in storage!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Tim/Bernard-

Hey, thanks of the links. Yes, I have several like the smaller ones Tim listed, or very similar thereto.

I’m kinda up in the air over just how big a container(s) to get as I have a surgically repaired back that I would like to stay ‘repaired’. As we all know when it comes to packing most anything, the weight of a given container can get out of hand if one is not careful. On the other, I don’t want to end up having to go through 168 of these things to store everything. Yeah, I am pretty much in the same 5x category that Bernard mentioned, and that may be conservative.

But...all of those are potentially good candidates to pick from certainly.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

LeeR -
What is this Doctor yelling at you bizznuss ?
I don't put up with that kind of garbage.
YOLO.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Tim/Bernard-

Hey, thanks of the links. Yes, I have several like the smaller ones Tim listed, or very similar thereto.

I’m kinda up in the air over just how big a container(s) to get as I have a surgically repaired back that I would like to stay ‘repaired’. As we all know when it comes to packing most anything, the weight of a given container can get out of hand if one is not careful.

On the up side, even the 66 quart container isn't heavy when full of kits that are designed to only weigh a few ounces. If you are storing other stuff that packs more densely, you might want to limit it to 32 quart size.

I packed 31 kits while ago in two 66 quart containers, many of them being larger packages like the Estes Outlander, Centuri Space 1999 Eagle Transporter, Silver Comet, early production Mean Machine, Mercury Redstone, boxed Super Big Bertha, etc. along with some averaged size kits like Orbital Transports. There's room left in there for several small kits like Alphas.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
On the up side, even the 66 quart container isn't heavy when full of kits that are designed to only weigh a few ounces. If you are storing other stuff that packs more densely, you might want to limit it to 32 quart size.

I packed 31 kits while ago in two 66 quart containers, many of them being larger packages like the Estes Outlander, Centuri Space 1999 Eagle Transporter, Silver Comet, early production Mean Machine, Mercury Redstone, boxed Super Big Bertha, etc. along with some averaged size kits like Orbital Transports. There's room left in there for several small kits like Alphas.

Just back in from watching a six minute flyover of the ISS...like 89 degrees up; right overhead! I gotta sore neck now!

Yeah, I am thinking it is gonna take a mix of container sizes. And I do have motors... they will pack more densely for sure. But, I may need to consider some type specialty container for them. And I have a fair number of kits that are themselves in boxes, such as the MiniMax kits, Enerjet, Centuri and Estes Saturns, etc. I don’t really know weather to try to containerize those or just store them as they are.

Oh well, they didn’t accumulate over night and I won’t get them properly stored overnight either.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-14-2020, 09:29 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Just back in from watching a six minute flyover of the ISS...like 89 degrees up; right overhead! I gotta sore neck now!

Yeah, I am thinking it is gonna take a mix of container sizes. And I do have motors... they will pack more densely for sure. But, I may need to consider some type specialty container for them. And I have a fair number of kits that are themselves in boxes, such as the MiniMax kits, Enerjet, Centuri and Estes Saturns, etc. I don’t really know weather to try to containerize those or just store them as they are.

Oh well, they didn’t accumulate over night and I won’t get them properly stored overnight either.

Earl

I was just out looking for comet Neowise. It's too bright to my NW. There's a dang Walmart over that way. I'll drive away from town one night later this week when it gets up a little higher. It will dim some, but the darker skies of being able to observe it later in the evening should more than make up for it.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

I'm not putting my Saturns in containers, nor my recent LJII's and other large boxed kits and starter sets. Smaller boxed kits like the Super Big Bertha easily fit in the containers. It's those odd bagged kits that take up a lot of room, such as the early R2D2 kits.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

With almost all the 500+ kits in 32/40 qt Hefty boxes (there are two of the double-depth ones at the bottoms of two stacks) I can say that no one bin, even full of many small kits, is all that heavy, so there's that.

I don't have as many built-up models as you do, but even so, they are more out of hand, and more awkward to store. While I've pretty much settled on the Heftys for kits (though some boxed kits are just on a wide shelf above the bin stack), I'm far less sure about for long-ish storage of non-kits .
AMA 42160
KG7AIE