Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Rocketeer SAM# 0455

Smile Range/Field Box for Launches

My range box is a Kobalt Hammer tool box. It has a tray inside that doubles as a small kit parts storage. I keep my controller, launch pad, 1/8 and 3/16" launch rods in the bottom of the box. In addition, I have several foot long sheets of various thickness of balsa., my three different Estes tube marking guides and a small hobby pliers set and wire cutters in the bottom as well. On top of the box is a clear small part case that I keep my Estes A, B, C and D motors in.
Also inside is a small parts container containing my igniters and plugs. When I am launching this little case is in my pocket.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
I have several range boxes. One holds stuff for model rocket launches. Another has stuff for working with reloadable motors. Another has stuff for larger rockets. Another has bug spray, sun screen, wet wipes, band aids, etc.

I use the Stanley tool boxes you can get for less than $10 at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes. They stack nicely (though they did change the design some time in the past). I also have boxes organized for specific tasks such as model rocket building, working on electronics, general house repairs, etc. That way I can grab one box and have the right tools for a specific job.

Anyway ... to actually answer your question .... In addition to the things you list, for model rocket launches, I try to make sure I have masking tape, a dowel for pushing out spent motors or liners from reloads, extra 'chutes and streamers, a sheet of sandpaper, a pencil, a pen, miscellaneous hardware such as snap swivels, a razor knife, a couple of used motors in case I need a stand-off, and a small bag of dog barf.

My answer has changed significantly since I posted that reply back in 2007. Now, I just have one range box and the answer to "what's in it" is "pretty much everything." :-)

But, I still do have the collection of inexpensive tool boxes. They make it easy to organize things and to carry stuff where you need it both at the launch site and at home.

-- Roger
Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Pyromania is life!

I bring a backpack with my launchpad (folded up) Electron Beam controller and my custom huge controller (its made from a xbox box) a few motors and plugs + igniters , some wadding, my camera, of course the rockets, and thats about it.

Quinn
NAR Member #98893 JR
SPAAR
Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Master Modeler

I have two big Plano tackle boxes with motors stored in the drawers and the top tray has a couple bottles of gel superglue, a couple of exacto knives, scotch tape, masking tape, needle nose pliers, sheets of sandpaper of various grits, and steel wool.

A small tackle box contains all my igniters. I also carry all parachutes, streamers, and wadding in a couple of old Estes range boxes.

I also have my traveling tool box, but that always stays in my pickup so it is not just a special bring-along to launches. I also carry bug repellent and WD40 in the truck at all times too.

Last edited by Joe Wooten : 11-13-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
One thing I came up with is one of those little tackle boxes that fit in your pocket.

You could even wear an old fanny pack to carry those small boxes. While they might draw snickers in most public places, fanny packs should be considered quite practical, and dare I say fashionable, at a launch.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Lots of engines, wadding, piers, tape, glue, extra parachutes, streamers, nose weight, engine reducers, plugs, igniters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  engines in box.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  99.3 KB