Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Master Modeler

I found a nice big chunk of ~3" diameter clear plastic tubing many years back.

I have plans to make a flying cut-away rocket out of it.

It would have a partial painted surface, non-operational shock cord and parachute, and an oversized fake cut-away motor, to conceal a real motor mount and stuffer tube with working parachute inside.

I suppose the stuffer could have a baffle to cool the ejection gasses down so the upper portion could be fully operational.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Just finished putting together a Vapor teaching rocket from Apogee Components. Kind of an upscale version of the old Estes Phantom, which has been out of production for over 20 years. The Vapor is a really nice, large (27" tall), see-through demonstration rocket with wonderful labels on all the parts. Great instructions, very easy to assemble.

Combined with the FlisKits Cutaway Motor, which will hopefullly be part of the new Fliskits lineup, you've got a great set for teaching model rocketry.

Didn't know until today, there apparently was a Phantom launch controller and launch pad by Estes as well:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Phan...yoAAOSwYwZcO-jZ

Even comes with original vintage batteries! I'm wondering if the seller will be getting any bites on this.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Master Modeler

I have always wanted one of these Phantom Electro-Launches, but there's no way I'm going to start bidding at that price (and even though it's not very much compared to some of the other stuff that guy has up right now).

To the original topic....I took a Phantom with me to NARAM-60 and bent Ellis Langford's ear about it a little bit at the reunion. They are definitely thinking of something along those lines as a bring back.

I have two Phantoms I've gotten off of eBay (well there is one more unbuilt). For both of them I cut a new body out of PST-50 that is 5.5 inches long so the model is the same size as an Alpha III (as they are all of the more recent 4-inch-long-body variant), and one or the other goes with me to almost every launch or event I attend so that I can pull it out and explain what's going on inside. I also bring a Fliskits cutaway motor to explain that aspect of things.

I also built a regular Alpha from a recent bulk kit only substituting PST-50 for the body tube and PST-20 for the motor tube and it goes to Alpha build sessions and their associated flying sessions. The balsa fins and the regular blow-molded nose cone don't detract from the basic "here's what it looks like inside" mission of the model.

I often get asked if I could fly it and the answer is always "yes, but after one flight it won't be clear anymore".
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Avid Builder

And just so we don't leave anything out, let us not forget the Centuri Visible Astro and cutaway engine display:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen44.html