Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Hey, Lee....................I was kidding. I don't remember those products (very well) because they are so far BEHIND me. And I'm already retired!

Joe
Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Hey, Lee....................I was kidding. I don't remember those products (very well) because they are so far BEHIND me. And I'm already retired!

Joe

Joe,

I hope you can remain so - just heard about a friend that is going back to work due to retirement funds getting hit so hard. Makes you appreciate what you got, and spend it on the things that matter.. My wife and I are heading to Hawaii in a few months. Time to enjoy things and not be too terribly upset about all the doom and gloom going around.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Joe,

I hope you can remain so - just heard about a friend that is going back to work due to retirement funds getting hit so hard. Makes you appreciate what you got, and spend it on the things that matter.. My wife and I are heading to Hawaii in a few months. Time to enjoy things and not be too terribly upset about all the doom and gloom going around.

My poor brother-in-law.....Just retired.....he had his investments set up so he'd be living off the interest and very little principal and make all his bills and still live comfortably. His unemployment runs out next month.....his investments have lost a third of their value and he can't live off just the interest........so now he's looking for a job again....... His retirement was sooooooo short.

My investments have lost a third of their value also. The only good thing about it is that I have another 17 years before I retire so that gives the investment a chance to re-coup it's loss....and.....since I buy on a regular schedule, I'm buying more at the lower price. What will suck is if it doesn't go back up. One of my investment funds dropped from $42 a share before 9-11 to $12 a share after 9-11. After seven years, it's back up to $16 after hitting a high of $19 in November.....Yeah....I've bought a lot of it at the lower price but it doesn't make up for the value it lost after 9-11.....
Old 01-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Mark and Lee................you guys are showing your age. I'm much too young to remember any of those products!

Joe

Yup - and I'm really glad that I was able to experience those times as a kid. It was really the "Golden Age of Kid-dom!"

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Yup - and I'm really glad that I was able to experience those times as a kid. It was really the "Golden Age of Kid-dom!"

Mark \\.

Yep, extremely well said, and no doubt the sentiment of a bunch of us that grew up in the 50s and 60s.

No hobby stores carrying Estes products at first. I vividly recall the excitement of running downstairs each morning to see if the postman had dropped off that long slender box. There it was --that box to me from the "Model Rocket Capital of the World".

Riding our bikes "a few blocks" to the vacant fields to launch rockets after school.

Splurging for the B engines instead of the A engines, it was a difference of spending an extra dime (80 cents for a 3-pack, instead of 70 cents) ...

I could go on forever ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp