Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Default Semroc "SST Shuttle" ramjet nose and tail cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
The resin ramjet parts are heavy, but Semroc includes nose weight to counterbalance. [SNIP] You could also take a razor saw and lop off some of the shoulders of the resin parts; they probably don't need to be as long as they are if you want to save weight.

Last week my obsession was trying to approximate an Estes Saros with Semroc parts. (Close enough, but the cigar won't be from Havana. )

This week, it's a Centuri Quasar with a balsa tailcone (instead of a paper boattail) which actually *looks* like the 1972 catalog picture:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...a/72cen026.html

(I'm thinking that paint job looks like gray instead of silver, like the instructions say.)

http://www.dars.org/jimz/kc-7.htm

I'll have to ask Carl if he can turn a boattail with the center bored out (for the Quasar, it would have to be a [making up a part number] BL-1610, 'cause BT is Estes' designation for "Body Tube," so conceivably BL could stand for "Boat taiL").

Of course, if I decided to build an SLS Quasar, I think I might be able to twist Carl's arm (gently but firmly, of course) to see if he could make 175% balsa upscales of the ramjet intakes and exhausts... and the boattail.

Cheers,

--Jay

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 11-18-2005 at 11:20 PM.