Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Craftsman

Default Old school motor test stand

Back in the 60's RDC sold a motor(engine) test stand, used springs and a rotating drum for the paper. Always wanted one but it was too much for my teen budget. In the mid 80's I built this stand and recently restored it. Considering the Rube Goldberg engineering it gives decent data. I believe Estes used something similar early on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rocket test 3.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  110.4 KB  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

That's very nice. Always wanted to build one myself but never got around to it. I'm curious about the motor you were testing in the photo............any recollection as to what kind it was?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
That's very nice. Always wanted to build one myself but never got around to it. I'm curious about the motor you were testing in the photo............any recollection as to what kind it was?

Thanks..that was one of many 'Teleflite..Make your own Rocket Motors". That one worked out to be a C9, it had a .250 nozzle and a 2.00 core. Around 8-9 lbs at peak but only burned for half a second. They would put a small rocket in low orbit.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
Thanks..that was one of many 'Teleflite..Make your own Rocket Motors". That one worked out to be a C9, it had a .250 nozzle and a 2.00 core. Around 8-9 lbs at peak but only burned for half a second. They would put a small rocket in low orbit.

I recall the old Teleflite ads in magazines. I never knew anyone who made any myself. How reliable did yours turn out to be? Were they worth the effort to make your own?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I recall the old Teleflite ads in magazines. I never knew anyone who made any myself. How reliable did yours turn out to be? Were they worth the effort to make your own?

Earl

I guess I made around 175 to 200 motors based on the motor casings used. I don't remember having any CATOs, I did try to stay close to recommended powder formulas. There were a lot of steps in making one , It got to where I could make around 6 in an hour. I believe material cost per unit was $0.25. I really enjoyed making them, got a kick out of pressing the button and watching them tear off the pad. Still got all the tooling, might order some casings and......

Last edited by JohnNGA : 06-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
I guess I made around 175 to 200 motors based on the motor casings used. I don't remember having any CATOs, I did try to stay close to recommended powder formulas. There were a lot of steps in making one , It got to where I could make around 6 in an hour. I believe material cost per unit was $0.25. I really enjoyed making them, got a kick out of pressing the button and watching them tear off the pad. Still got all the tooling, might order some casings and......

I have the old Teleflite instructions and a set of spindles. Was it really as fussy to make the motors as the instructions make it seem? If you have sources for the various materials required I would appreciate it if you would post them to this thread. I might just give it a try myself!

Joe
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I have the old Teleflite instructions and a set of spindles. Was it really as fussy to make the motors as the instructions make it seem? If you have sources for the various materials required I would appreciate it if you would post them to this thread. I might just give it a try myself!

Joe

I will try and find that info and will PM.
John