Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Angry Igniter problems

Haven't flown rockets for a number of years, but have new engines and igniters for old rockets. The igniters (Estes) won't fire the engines. Nothing happens when I apply voltage. I know I have the igniters inserted correctly. What could be the problem? Also, is there anything else I could use besides igniters--maybe somethiing to give them an extra boost to fire the engines.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What kind of controller and battery are you using ?
Sounds like you may be shorting the igniters somehow below the propellant grain.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Igniter problems

Thanks for the info, but I finally got them to ignite. I am really hi-tech. I use a lantern battery and about 15 feet of lamp cord with alligator clips on one end. All I do is connect the alligator clips to the igniter leads and hook up the other end of the cord to the battery and EURIKA, the rocket flies!! I must have been using the wrong voltage or my hand held launcher wasn't working. So much for high tech stuff. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Craftsman

What kind of hand held launcher do you have? Might be something simple to fix so you can step out of the archaic age of wire and battery

I remember way back when (not that I am that old) but we use to use green canon fuse cut to about 3" lengths to ignite engines. Could have been interesting if somehow the lighter flame got into the nozzle, but the fuse was as big as the opening so I think it would take a little effort to get that accident to happen... One never knows though.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbenda
Thanks for the info, but I finally got them to ignite. I am really hi-tech. I use a lantern battery and about 15 feet of lamp cord with alligator clips on one end. All I do is connect the alligator clips to the igniter leads and hook up the other end of the cord to the battery and EURIKA, the rocket flies!! I must have been using the wrong voltage or my hand held launcher wasn't working. So much for high tech stuff. Thanks to all who replied.

You probably flew rockets years ago and bought a new Estes controller and attempted to use it like you did years ago without reading the clear instructions for the new design.

If this is the case allow me to point out that the safety key is SPRING LOADED and must be pushed in very hard to make contact. Then you must hold it in when you simultaneously push the launch button.

Other than that, make sure one battery is not in backwards. Dim or yellow light is a sign of a backwards battery.

Let us know if this was the problem.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

... or just cut the rubber crap off the bottom of the key. That's the only spring loaded part, after all.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 08-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Igniter problems

I solved the problem by not using any controller. I just hooked up some lamp cord with alligator clips on one end to the igniter leads. Then is connected the other end of the cord to a lantern battery--and to paraphrase Jackie Gleason "Away it (the rocket) went." So much for new fangled stuff. Thanks for the reply and info.