Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
When they do 24mm, I will be ordering a pallet. Full E, mailable mid-F, Full F. 125g H

Given that they already make single-use motors in that size, I'm not sure they're likely to go there... but if they can come up with 24mm Q-Jets that are cheaper than the existing single-use motors, I'm in.

Last edited by neil_w : 04-17-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Given that they already make single-use motors in that size, I'm not sure they're likely to go there... but if they can come up with24mm Q-Jets that are cheaper than the existing single-use motors, I'm in.

Charlie Savoie, in one thread on "that other forum" has at least suggested that they're at least thinking of something beyond 18mm motors. I agree 24mm Ds and Es would be great once the 18mms are available in quantity.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Charlie Savoie, in one thread on "that other forum" has at least suggested that they're at least thinking of something beyond 18mm motors. I agree 24mm Ds and Es would be great once the 18mms are available in quantity.

Ah, interesting. Sounds like it'll be a while though. Let's see how long it takes before the Cs and Ds area available.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Master Modeler

Yes, exactly. Considering how long it's taken to get this far, I'm not looking for something beyond the baby D certainly this year, maybe not even next year.....

But I have held the As and Bs in my hand (at NARCON this year) so I'm really hoping to be flying some of them by NARAM.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I sold the first GARY motors. He has spent a lifetime developing elements of this product with incremental releases using elements of the final (current) design. The fact it has taken from about 1973 to 2018 should tell most folks how difficult and specific a model rocket motor in some scale of production is. The good news is he lived long enough to see it!

Just Jerry
Old 04-18-2018, 11:46 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I still have some unfired of the first "GARY" motors (Composite Dynamics).
The last time I used some from the early 80's was in ~2007.
CD 24mm E20-4 and an F40. Unsure what the F40 delay was, but probably -7

Both functioned flawlessly including the delay and ejection.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Yes, exactly. Considering how long it's taken to get this far, I'm not looking for something beyond the baby D certainly this year, maybe not even next year.....

But I have held the As and Bs in my hand (at NARCON this year) so I'm really hoping to be flying some of them by NARAM.
*Nods* I'd also love to see 13 mm composite B (or even C) motors (like Apogee Components' [under Ed LaCroix] long-gone, Aerotech-made 13 mm composite motors), but I realize that they're specialty items, and mass-producing the smallest possible variety--including in terms of casing sizes--of composite motors is the best, and perhaps the only, way to make them price-competitive with black powder motors, and:

I wouldn't be averse to buying Quest's composite A and B motors--even if they cost a little more than their black powder counterparts--because of the scale realism, in terms of sound and exhaust plume appearance, that they offer, which would be great for small-field and/or windy day flying. (Offering some different thrust/time characteristics than those of available black powder A & B motors--a few optimized for boost-gliders or "deep, dual-thrust" performances [for scale models of vehicles with such motor characteristics, like the Astrobee D, S-520, SS-520, etc.], say--would also be a nice "bonus.") Other examples could include the following:

The "White Lightning"-type propellant produces a bright white or yellowish, highly luminous flame like that of full-scale sounding rocket, missile, and space launch vehicle modern composite solid motors (it looks like a kerolox liquid propellant rocket's exhaust plume, too, as well as like an Aerobee liquid sustainer stage's flame). The "Black Jack"-type propellant (if any of these new Quest motors use it) produces a full-scale rocket-type roar, and its dense black exhaust plume is like that of older vehicles, such as the British Skylark sounding rocket (its Raven rocket motor, which was called "Smokey Joe" because of its exhaust; the Cuckoo boosters of earlier Skylark variants were also smokey, if memory serves). Also:

If used in scale models of ducted rocket and solid-fueled (or liquid-fueled) ramjet missiles and target drones (such as the BrahMos, Meteor, Talos, SLAT, ASALM, Coyote, etc.), the mixed duct air and rocket exhaust would produce a wide, scale-realistic smoke trail. Plus, if the "Black Jack" exhaust contains still-combustible constituents, such models, using these motors (with an "extra means of igniting the duct air/rocket exhaust mixture" [perhaps igniter-lit Visco fuse], if needed), could also be flown under actual ducted rocket/solid-fueled ramjet power (longer-burning "Black Jack" C and D motors would give more action time, but A and B ones would suffice for quick demo flights, as well as small-field flights of scale models of these types).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Master Modeler

Jason,

The Q-Jets are "Black Max" propellant. So a dark smoke trail.

Also, easier to light than White Lightning....which will be good for those who would expect it to "just work" like we do with black powder motors (tough sometimes we are disappointed there ).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Jason,

The Q-Jets are "Black Max" propellant. So a dark smoke trail.
Thank you, Bernard. I'm ashamed to say that I had forgotten that (it's happening with troubling frequency--the more recent a "learned fact" is, the less it seems to "stick" in memory...). Also:

I've never tried a White Lightning motor, just an Aerotech Blue Thunder propellant 18 mm composite D, in a black Estes RTF "X-Flyer." I thought it had misfired, as it sat there for over a second after I pushed the button (and my Electron Beam's batteries were fresh). Then the rocket just vanished (like Endora disappearing in an episode of "Bewitched" :-) - I never saw it move), with a brief sizzling sound.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Master Modeler

Ah - D21T (Blue Thunder). Yes, they can make a small model just disappear in a whoosh. The D10 is White Lightning and I've had some frustration with getting them lit....but they are "expressive" and bright to watch when they go.

I'm hoping that the ejection charges in the Q-Jets are a little less toasty than those in the D10/D21 motors. They can really cook the inside of a model. I do intend to find out as soon as I can.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE