Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Default MPC Vostok Flying Plastic Model Build

I was recently looking at information on plastic model conversion for flight (PMC). I ran across a build thread on the old MPC Vostok plastic model. I've had one for maybe 25 years, but never started it.

FYI:
The build thread I found is documented in Chris Michielssen's Model Rocket Building blog. A link in Rocket Reviews lists all the individual posts:
http://www.rocket reviews.com/model-rocket-building-mpc-vostok-build-part-1-parts.html

I pulled my MPC Vostok out of storage, I had thought about building this kit. Finding an article on it convinced me to start. A childhood friend and fellow model rocket enthusiast had one of these when it was first released around 1969-70. I absolutely loved that model. I recall that he had flown it successfully. Not everyone has had the same experience. This kit actually had the parts needed for conversion for flying, and the box art highlights the flying version. I never saw one in the hobby shop back when my friend found his, so when I found it advertised via mail order in the early 90s, I bought it. (and I paid a fortune for what was then kind of a collector's item-- $79.95!)

Here is a picture of the box and its contents. The supplied conversion parts are a motor tube, a slightly larger tube that it slides into, and a motor block and hook. A parachute and piece of fiberglass wadding are included, as are things like nose weight, and enlarged flight fins. The kit also has molded launch lugs. You can see the difference in size between the display version fins and the flight fins, at the left of the picture.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 03-31-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Lee, did MPC re-issue that kit? I see one on Ebay right now.................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MPC...XMAAOSwa-dWtS80
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Master Modeler

This kit has been re-released with all the flying plastic parts.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/mpc-vostok...1:100-scale-792
Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Lee, did MPC re-issue that kit? I see one on Ebay right now.................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MPC...XMAAOSwa-dWtS80

Yes, and I just ordered one for something like $28.88 (plus $5 shipping). They left out the cardboard tubes and parachute and other "add-ons". And as "the mole" mentions, the plastic parts needed for flight are included. The plastic flight items are pretty much the enlarged fins. But a less detailed plastic aft end piece (nozzles) is included and does have a launch lug. The upper lug can be cut off if you just want a display model.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 PM

My first step is the assembly of the four booster strap-ons. Reviewers complain about fit. After building rockets, you are accustomed to gaps here and there! I have not built a plastic model in a long time, so I found the fit to be pretty decent. With the booster halves pressed together, the fit at top and bottom is pretty good, with slight gap in the center. Squeezing them closed the gap.

The last time I built a plastic model, I mostly used tube cement. I had a bottle of Model Masters liquid cement, but chose to use Plastruct Plastic Weld, which I bought a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of building the new Estes Little Joe II.

While holding the halves together, I used a tiny paint brush to paint a line of the solvent along the seam. I only used the bottle cap brush to paint the seams on the inside, at the bottom of the booster. I then wrapped rubber bands around the booster and allowed them to dry. This first booster has a pretty noticeable seam since I probably over brushed the seam. The remaining boosters look better. A bit of fine sanding or scraping before painting will fix the blemishes.

NOTE: The wooden block in the picture is my bottle stand. For small, narrow bottles, I make a holder so I do not tip them over. I also drill holes in it for things like brushes. I've got a large set of Forstner bits so I can make them fit pretty closely.

Last edited by LeeR : 04-01-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Craftsman

Green Squadron putty is your friend!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Green Squadron putty is your friend!

I may luck out and not require a bit of it. I was able to apply enough pressure to close the long, relatively even gaps on the 4 boosters. The main tube, which was the core motor on the rocket, had a much better fit. I lightly sanded on a flat surface to close the minor gap some, and then glued them. Oddly, this part has no male and female alignment pins, like the four boosters. Holding them registered evenly while the solvent welds dried was a bit difficult. Here is a picture of the central tube, with some rubber bands for insurance while the styrene re-solidified. I used a lot of Plastic Weld on this assembly to guarantee that it is now effectively one piece of plastic!

Old 04-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Level 3

Here is the one I converted. I think I used 20mm tubing from Balsa Machining to center the 18mm motor mount. The tube fit perfect inside the plastic body. I have been working on converting the MPC Titan III but have been getting frustrated with the paint not sticking between masking on the 2 SRBs.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 PM

The new MPC Vostok kit I ordered right after starting this build arrived today. Not sure if I'll save it as a backup for flying, or consider it for a display model. I unwrapped it since I was curious if all the plastic parts needed for flight were present. I was surprised that some of the pieces were there, like the second amotor nozzle plate, which has the molded launch lug on it.

I found the Euro Gray paint recommended in a plastic model review I saw recently. It is Model Masters 1988, if anyone is so inclined to build one and paint it in gray. Old references claim the Vostok was olive drab, but later described as medium gray. Apparently old photos gave the rocket a greenish hue. I think this is also true of the N-1.

The old kit was shown in white, with red markings. This was how the Russians finished the rocket they displayed at the 1967 Paris Air Show. Actual Vostok rockets were all gray, with no markings. The white on the central area of the boosters is condensation from cryogenic fuel in the tanks. I'll likely leave the white off on mine, at least for now. I struggle with detailing too much until I fly it. It will be flown on an Aerotech 18mm RMS using a D13 reload. Stories of flying these on C6-3s scare me!

Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Here is the one I converted. I think I used 20mm tubing from Balsa Machining to center the 18mm motor mount. The tube fit perfect inside the plastic body. I have been working on converting the MPC Titan III but have been getting frustrated with the paint not sticking between masking on the 2 SRBs.

Brent, have you flown yours yet?