Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
BP Mafia

Default Fishhead Rocket Works Kestrel

Lately I've been paying more attention to building kits I already have and putting my old fleet back in flying shape instead of buying new rockets, both for financial reasons and because I can't bear to see the old guard standing down. In several cases this has caused a need for new parts, such as in the Astron Avenger that was built entirely using parts from an Estes Designer’s Special back when they were still in the stores. I flew it quite a bit back in 2001, but several hard landings and at least one hot ejection charge had taken a toll on it. I picked up a new transition and nose cone from BMS at one of the NARCONs that I attended, but only recently got interested in finishing the project. Short of paint it looks pretty good for a ten year old bird, but I still couldn’t bring myself to just toss out the original payload section.
It had suffered a pretty bad tube dent when it rebounded back into the airframe on the last flight back in 2002. It wasn’t bad enough to retire the rocket, but when coupled with several broken fins that had been badly repaired with CA on the field and the fact that it was flying with a generic PNC-50 cone, I decided to take it out of service until repairs and upgrades could be made. When I built the new payload section, I realized that the old one could be the start of a new rocket. I cut the dented section of BT-50 away, then began grinding away at the center of the transition with my Dremel tool. I eventually was able to grind a hole through the transition, which I then started to smooth out with sandpaper.
I had planned to install an engine block with a length of Kevlar cord tied and glued into place, but myconstruction technique back in 2001 must have caused an excessive amount of glue drippage. It had run down inside the tube in a perfect spot to stop a D engine, but with an engine block glued in it would have caused the engine to stick out enough to look goofy to my eyes. In order to not have goofy as a part of the design, I sanded away enough of the inside of the fat end of the transition to allow the centering ring to be glued in flush. Heavily coated with glue, hopefully it will withstand an ejection charge or two.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM
BP Mafia

From here I needed a piece of BT-55 for the upper section. Once again, I had a scrap piece of BT-55 that had a crunched end. I cut away the crunched part, which just left the fins and nose cone. I had a leftover set of fins cut from a Scale Bash project a few years back, and a PNC-55AC that had no clear ancestry. Kestrel is a seemingly forgotten bird of prey, a name that I've wanted to use for some time. This is the finished bird.

It's in primer at the moment, but I'm probably going to go with a black transition and fin can, red body and a white nose cone. Not sure what I'll do as far as decals. This is about as creative as I get.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 AM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
It's in primer at the moment, but I'm probably going to go with a black transition and fin can, red body and a white nose cone. Not sure what I'll do as far as decals. This is about as creative as I get.

Bill;

I'd say the plastic surgery is coming along rather nicely. Nips and tucks in all the right places. Looking forward to the finished result.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Bill;

I'd say the plastic surgery is coming along rather nicely. Nips and tucks in all the right places. Looking forward to the finished result.

Now if I can just find a place to fly it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Master Modeler

Nicley done!
I like it.