Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Master Modeler

YES

My original name was Double D's, referring to two "D" motors, not in refewrence to anything else, but, from what I heard, they "E" came up with some "hot" paint schemes and parachutes.

It's like the Scew Machine, my original name was Kwick Knect, but they came up with the name, which I complained about, another story.

Out of all my designs that "made it" Baby Bertha was the only one that I named !!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Old Fogey

Default Gooney Birds

1) Bill Eichelberger's Gooneybird models look great--definitely first rate craftsmanship. Seeing them eases the pain. I may skip my meds today.

2) As for the original sketches, photos, etc., Wayne Kellner may have some of that stuff if anybody knows how to contact him.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_packer
The Gooney Bird product line is something that still ticks me off 30+ years later.

Wayne Kellner and Mike Dorffler came up with a series of designs which were caricatures of actual missiles -- the Japanese "Baka" bomb, the V1, etc. The designs were "spot-on", and any halfway knowlegable rocketeer would have appreciated them. You didn't need a focus group, market survey, or the like to know that they would sell well.

However, Damon had foisted upon us a "Marketing Vice President" whose main claim to fame was that he was the sales manager at another company when the collector craze for their products took off. So said individual, who had no concept of what the model rocketeerw who were our market base thought, liked, or did, took the kit prototypes to a graphic artist who had done work for him in the past, but had no knowlege of model rocketry. With those qualifications, he had him create new decors and names for the models.

Sales were 1/10th or less of what the original designs would have posted, and the line was mercifully dropped within a short time.

Moral of the story -- the best designs for any product come from people who are passionate about the product, be it model rockets, cars, boats, bikes or cooking pots. If you don't have a passion for the product, do the world a favor and find something else to work on.

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the history of the Goonybirds.

I'm sorry if remembering that episode caused you a headache.

I'd would enjoy hearing about the development of the Interceptor (K-50) and the history behind the Citation line of products when you have a moment.

I hope information like Bill is providing can be archived and saved for the future.

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
The Gooney Bird product line is something that still ticks me off 30+ years later.

Wayne Kellner and Mike Dorffler came up with a series of designs which were caricatures of actual missiles -- the Japanese "Baka" bomb, the V1, etc. The designs were "spot-on", and any halfway knowlegable rocketeer would have appreciated them. You didn't need a focus group, market survey, or the like to know that they would sell well.

However, Damon had foisted upon us a "Marketing Vice President" whose main claim to fame was that he was the sales manager at another company when the collector craze for their products took off. So said individual, who had no concept of what the model rocketeerw who were our market base thought, liked, or did, took the kit prototypes to a graphic artist who had done work for him in the past, but had no knowlege of model rocketry. With those qualifications, he had him create new decors and names for the models.

Sales were 1/10th or less of what the original designs would have posted, and the line was mercifully dropped within a short time.

Moral of the story -- the best designs for any product come from people who are passionate about the product, be it model rockets, cars, boats, bikes or cooking pots. If you don't have a passion for the product, do the world a favor and find something else to work on.

Bill

I, too, would be curious to know what the originals were supposed to look like. Did the fin planform change too or are the goonies just repaints/redecorations of the original caricatures? If the latter, do you remember what goony came from what original?

Greg
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
If the latter, do you remember what goony came from what original?
SWAG: The Cloud Hopper looks like the Baka, and the Missile Toe the V1. (/SWAG)

Doug
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM
SAROS Past President

The Galactic Guppy looks a little V-2'ish...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
CG to close to CP

Maybe the Zoom Broom was the Gee-Bee Racer?

Last edited by mikeyd : 09-20-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
BP Mafia

Guys, you're overthinking this.
Cloudhopper = Bunny
Sky Shriek = Tongue
Star Snoop = Eyeball
Missile Toe = Sore toe
Zoom Broom = Witches hotrod
Galaxy Guppy = Fishhead

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
1) Bill Eichelberger's Gooneybird models look great--definitely first rate craftsmanship. Seeing them eases the pain. I may skip my meds today.

Yes! ALL BOW TO THE GOONY MASTER!!!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

My mother had one of those hair dryers. I used to beg to put it on in the winter when I was freezing my butt off. We had wood heat so one area was nice and warm and the rest of the house was cold.