Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nixon's wage and price controls did not work because they had no teeth regarding required mandatory maximal production levels as well.
Utility companies have no choice but to provide an uninterrupted energy supply for the monopoly they enjoy with a MODEST profit margin.
High time we started treating oil companies like the UTILITY they are.
The only reason they are not is that they are able to lobby (grease) politicians into screwing their own constituents, which should result in prison sentences, not vote swaying.

Oil prices should have nothing to do with supposed 'futures' markets; all those markets do is fictionally influence gasoline/oil prices, which should be illegal. The average US Citizen would be far better off making oil futures trading ILLEGAL FOREVER. The only ones that benefit from this in any meaningful manner are the Uber-Riche 1%ers that the politicians seem to cater to instead of the 99% they actually should be concerned with.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Nixon's wage and price controls did not work because they had no teeth regarding required mandatory maximal production levels as well.
Utility companies have no choice but to provide an uninterrupted energy supply for the monopoly they enjoy with a MODEST profit margin.
The only reason they are not is that they are able to lobby (grease) politicians into screwing their own constituents, which should result in prison sentences, not vote swaying.

Oil prices should have nothing to do with supposed 'futures' markets; all those markets do is fictionally influence gasoline/oil prices, which should be illegal. The average US Citizen would be far better off making oil futures trading ILLEGAL FOREVER. The only ones that benefit from this in any meaningful manner are the Uber-Riche 1%ers that the politicians seem to cater to instead of the 99% they actually should be concerned with.

Wage and price controls for everything and everybody! A government bureacrat to ensure compliance. Everybody equal...poor. Utopia. I can't wait. Let's start with your wages.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
And those rotten Canadians, selling their oil to China. How dare they.

We can always INVADE!!!

I smell "The War on Denim" coming... EH!!!

later! OL JR
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

I'd extend that to agricultural commodities as well...

We've been getting screwed by the "futures markets" since the d@mn things were invented... and now with the advent and widespread use of computers and data services, we're screwed CONSTANTLY by them...

If it were up to me, ALL "futures" markets would be banned PERMANENTLY and FOREVER, PERIOD.

Most farmers have been sold such a bill of goods and been SO indoctrinated they've been conned into believing the futures markets are a GOOD thing and the ONLY way to make a profit farming, instead of seeing that it's these bloodsuckers that DEPRIVE them of a fair price in the first place... besides, as I told some guys one time after sitting through a few hours of seminars on trading puts and calls to make a profit on a crop one time, "heck, if was sharp enough to make money on these stupid things, WHY IN THE H3LL would I EVER want to FARM-- borrow a couple hundred grand a year and work in the heat and cold and rain and drought, working like a maniac all day and worrying all night, wondering if I'd make a crop, or the weather or the bugs would get it, or the price drop into the toilet, fighting machinery and the government and suppliers and all that... heck if I was enough of a Wall Street shark to make money of these stupid futures, I'd be making trades on a laptop while sitting on a beach somewhere and TO HECK with the HARD work of farming!

That's why I have ZERO SYMPATHY for ANY of the big Wall Street bloodsuckers and their institutions that are "too big to fail"... I for one would LOVE to see every d@mn one of them go flat broke...

What do you call 1,000 stockbrokers diving off a building?? A GOOD START!

Maggots...

Later! OL JR
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Agreed.
Futures markets do nothing but ripoff the average Joe by artifically influencing prices.
Agree they should be patently illegal.
Wall Street bozos that actually produce nothing but instability for the overall economy.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001
Are you arguing that by building this pipeline to bring Canada's oil down to our refineries it will lower the price of gas at the pump in the US?

Or

Are you arguing that the government should permit these private companies to build the pipeline, refine the oil from Canada and sell it on the open market to foreign countries for enhanced profits?

As an aside:
One of the reasons repeatedly offered by the oil industry for the increase in the price of gas in the US is that we have a shortage of refineries due to EPA regulations, spring maintenance, etc. but we have plenty of extra refinery capacity to handle all of the Canadian oil once the pipeline is built. Oxymoron, anyone?

Yes on both. Anything which will decrease the cost of getting crude oil to the refinery and ensure a ready supply when it is needed will help to bring the price down. Buying oil from a friendly, reliable source rather than from potentially hostile countries and transported through a narrow sea lane subject to obstruction will result in both a lower price and greater price stability.

We barely have enough refining capacity to meet the peak demand. If a refinery is down for maintenance, repair, reconfiguring to produce a boutique fuel blend or a hurricane warning, there may be spot shortages causing temporary price spikes.

During the off-season, the refineries have plenty of capacity for maintenance or to produce product for export.

The biggest problem we have with our refineries is that they are generally not near the source of crude oil or where their products are needed, increasing the final price to cover transportation costs. Pipelines are a big help in this area as they are more energy efficient than truck or rail.

Oxy is a popular nickname for Occidental College. So the real oxymoron is the current occupant of the Oval Office who is blocking the Keystone XL project. I fully expect he will give the approval for the project after the election, but will Canada have sold that oil to China by then?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
"Oxymoron, anyone?"

That has been my point all along! We don't need more oil, we need a new refinery. If they have the money to build this pipeline, why doesn't Canada invest that into a refinery up there?

And many other questions that no one is willing to ask...

They can build a pipeline to transport crude oil to their customer or they can build both a refinery and a pipeline to transport refined products to the customer. It is that simple.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
personally guys, and this is just me, I believe the federal government doesn't mind the higher gas prices as it increases tax revenue.

For every dollar of gas that is sold, the feds make and average of $0.25, so the feds really don't mind collecting taxes in another fashion.

J

You are half right. The current regime wants higher gas prices to make people switch to an alternative source of energy.

Bill

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
You are half right. The current regime wants higher gas prices to make people switch to an alternative source of energy.
Is that because they're a bunch of environmental whackos? Or is that because we need to do that for our own good in the long run?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Here is a heat map showing the highest prices across the country:

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

The highest prices are $3.89 per gallon. $5 a gallon gas is only, $1.11 away

Jonathan

P.s. To show my age and when I was aware of such things, I remember when gas was $0.70 cents a gallon ... others here probably remember the Model T

Cool. I am still hoping to drive to NARAM and that will help me choose the route...

Bill