Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I use Tamiya tape for critical masking all the time - it's properties are just excellent.

I often pick it up at a hobby shop I visit in Toronto on my various travels; a more convenient way to get it is to order the stuff on line: visit http://www.greatmodels.com/ , click on the Search button, and then just enter Tamiya tape. This will present you with a selection of their masking tape.

Hope this helps;

John,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try a couple of rolls of the Tamiya tape and I appreciate the source for it. I'll just get it online since the local shops don't seem to handle it.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-06-2007, 05:24 AM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
John,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try a couple of rolls of the Tamiya tape and I appreciate the source for it. I'll just get it online since the local shops don't seem to handle it.

No problem; and Taras says hi!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Forest Sprite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
What can I say. The completed SLS Lune R-1just has me beaming with a big smile

At slightly over 41" tall it's big but light enough to fly on Estes D12's. I wouldn't hesitate to use RMS or single use G motors in it and I will when I have a chance to take it to the HPR field in Winnsboro next month.

My Semroc Lil' Hustler is shown in the photo for scale.

I can't wait to fly it!

Excellent! I like it a lot!

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Excellent! I like it a lot!

Mark

Thanks Mark. Our next scheduled launch will be at the HPR field in Winnsboro, LA on Saturday March 31st and I plan to put some flights on it. Due to some other projects I'm working on I may not have time before March 31st to get the altimeter mounted to a smalled sled and the payload section port drilled so I may have to fly it solo.

I have a couple of nice F and G motors set aside for the SLS Lune R-1

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Mark,

Nice builds! I can't wait to see what color schemes you use on them.

I have an FSI OSO kit in the bag. My first FSI kit was the Nova and I flew the snot out of it on the 21mm motors. Then came "the failure". I still have the original hard wood nose cone and adapter. I also have a set of the Nova fins that I used on a spoof of sounding rockets called the "Buzzardhawk" (also gone to the Great Launch Pad in the Sky).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to order some of Carl's FSI sized tubes...

Chas
Awaiting SLS Lune R-1 launch photos...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Mark,

Nice builds! I can't wait to see what color schemes you use on them.

Thanks. I'm still working that issue out. Some of the color schemes used in the illustrations in the 1971 FSI catalog are kind of interesting, but I doubt that any models were actually painted to look like those illustrations. Even though the photos of the rockets were in B&W in all of the subsequent catalogs, I have tentatively figured out some color schemes, based in part on the colors used in the decals (for the models that have scanned decals).

Quote:
I have an FSI OSO kit in the bag. My first FSI kit was the Nova and I flew the snot out of it on the 21mm motors. Then came "the failure". I still have the original hard wood nose cone and adapter. I also have a set of the Nova fins that I used on a spoof of sounding rockets called the "Buzzardhawk" (also gone to the Great Launch Pad in the Sky).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to order some of Carl's FSI sized tubes...

Chas

The Nova was the first FSI repro that I built (all of 3 months ago) and the ease with which everything went together in that model encouraged me to undertake the project of building repros of all of the FSI birds.

Taking the solid, sturdy designs of the FSI rockets and then building them with very high quality parts obtained from Semroc has resulted in rockets that certyainly seem to be very durable; all three that I have built look like they will last a long time (unless and until I try to fly any of them on some ridiculously powerful motor while trying to reach one mile, and lose it, that is. )

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

It's ready ..... I'm working on mounting my PerfectFlite altimeter in the SLS Lune R-1 payload section tonight. I'm trying to decide if I want to secure the nose cone to the payload bay with PEM nuts and machine screws from Missile Works or those plastic rivets that PML and Giant Leap sell, I have both on hand. I don't want my altimeter ejected at apogee

I need to weight it once more with the altimeter and recovery system installed and run some final sims to make some motor selections. I'm thinking either an E motor in my reload case or a single use F for it's first flight and either a single use G40 or G80-10FWL fast white lightning. Those were the limited G80 runs that AeroTech did a few years back that Magnum used to sell ten for $100. I have one left. Our next launch date is in Winnsboro, LA on March 31st.

I will definitely have my camera with me and post any flight data that is downloaded!

*Edit*
I'm going to use the reusable plastic rivets from PML to secure everything .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  015Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  104.4 KB  
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 03-17-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added 015Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg with PML Rivet
Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS SLS Lune-R1 First Flight Planned Sept 15, 2007 Winnsboro, LA

Since this was an SVDT project I left the SLS Lune-R1 picture out of the public forum post with the launch announcement for the upcoming launch in Winnsboro, LA.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2145

Finally, after all of our rained out launches here in Louisiana earlier this year I have a first flight planned for next Saturday. First flight will carry a PerfectFlite recording altimeter with an F42-8T EconoJet motor. Estimated altitude is 1,861 feet. The black spots just below the nose cone are PML reusable plastic rivets. I drilled through the payload tube and into the shoulder and reinforced the holes with CA. Just some added protection that the nose cone stays put and my altimeter stays secure.

I'm really looking forward to this flight! Six rocket flights are planned and everything is prepped and ready ..... just need some clear skies so keeping my fingers crossed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Rockets Prepped for Sept 15 2007 Winnsboro Launch {SVDT Image}.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  357.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001SLS Lune-R1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  372.5 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Lune-R1 First Flight with F42-8T Saturday Sept 29, 2007 Winnsboro, LA

Finally after the 9/15 and 9/22 dates in Winnsboro, LA were rained out I had a chance to put my first flight on this model yesterday!

Several guys at the launch asked what kit it was and where I had purchased it. I told them that four of the scratch built rockets including the SLS Lune-R1 that I had with me at the launch were built using heavy duty Semroc body tubes, same as what was used by Semroc in SLS grade kits.

I used an F42-8T EconoJet motor with a PerfectFlite altimeter in the payload bay. My final dry weight with the altimeter & battery {less motor} rounded out to 10.6oz. The estimated altitude that I earlier stated as 1,861 feet was based on an old .rkt file, prior to finishing the rocket. Based on the actual weight of 10.6oz RockSim estimated 1,678 feet as the altitude prediction. The altimeter was beeping out 1,335 feet post flight. I'm waiting to download the flight data because I had to order a USB to DB-9 cable since my computer doesn't have a serial port to use with the PerfectFlite data transfer kit

It was an awesome first flight and I thought yesterday I would have a picture with a frame full of smoke because it ripped off the pad extremely fast. To my surprise I did manage to catch it just at the top of the frame although some of the shots using 800asa film are a little grainy. Perfect flight and recovery within walking distance from the LCO table.

The SLS Lune-R1 was one of four flights I made yesterday including two of my EnerJet clones on G35-10 motors. I'll be updating the other threads soon.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  001 SLS Lune-R1 with PerfectFlite  Alt15K F42-8T High Cotton Winnsboro 09-29-07.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  353.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004 SLS Lune-R1 with PerfectFlite  Alt15K F42-8T High Cotton Winnsboro 09-29-07.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  376.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  005 SLS Lune-R1 with PerfectFlite  Alt15K F42-8T High Cotton Winnsboro 09-29-07.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  178.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006 SLS Lune-R1 with PerfectFlite  Alt15K F42-8T High Cotton Winnsboro 09-29-07.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  180.5 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Steve,

I'm glad to hear you had a good flight with the SLS Lune R-1.

If there is a Best Buy near your home, they sell a USB to DB9 connector.

I like the hat you were wearing, too.

Bob