Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Smoke is much more complex. I am not going to dwell on it as much as I have been. Orange (yellow,red) is too messy and unreliable. Mods to the propellant means much more complex EX testing.

So, at least initially, grey smoke and BP propellant.

I wasn't looking for a different color smoke, just more of it.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
7/21/61

Carl,

I really appreciate the risks you're taking to produce motors.

So here is my commitment to you.

The day you start producing motors, I will fly only Semroc motors of any type you produce.

Period.

Put me on the list for ten 3-packs of each type, the first day they are offered for sale.

The first box of motors that Sheryl sends out I want to be addressed to me.

I don't care what they cost.

And I will personally sponsor "Semroc Day" at my local club, so everybody has a chance to fly the new motors just as soon as they are available. (You hear that Buzz, your first day of Semrocs are on me!)

On the day I receive my first Semroc motors, my old motors of the same type will go into my collectables pile.

From that day on, I will fly Semroc.

All I ask is that you make a success of this (and that I go on the early list for an "I Fly Semroc" t-shirt and launch box sticker).

There are many of us who REALLY want you to succeed at this.

So I personally will do whatever I can to see that happen.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
You guys made me go to www.usps.gov to verify what I figured those numbers were.

Flew completely over my head, I had to ask Craig.

Gus, that's the spirit! I at least want to buy and test the product before I make that kind of statement. But really, given Semroc's track record, it's safe to assume the motors will be top notch.

There's only a few suggestions over there that I don't agree with , but for the most part, everything I'm seeing sounds good. I don't think B14's and similar are worth the risk. I thought the colored smoke would be a good way to make the motors stand out from the competition, but I'd rather see some reliable, safe, motors be produced above all. Keeping it simple in the beginning makes good sense. Just getting these in people hands and creating a buzz will be challenging enough, but with the loyal following Semroc has cultivated, I think we've(this is a team effort with some kick ass owners) got a good shot at this!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

B14's and the like are EXACTLY what I want from a new motor manufacturer and am willing to pay for them....frankly I'd be glad to buy B6-4's from Semroc instead of that unresponsive to customers company that Estes has become.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Not to be a spoil sport or a stick in the mud, but I really wish the hobby would get away from the emphasis on "effects" motors (though if the effect is simply part of the improvement of the motor's characteristics, I can't complain). White lightning is nice, blue thunder -- could take it or leave it, smoky motors are ok if that's the only way to get a slower burning propellant (though I doubt it!). To me, sparky motors are cool once, after that, just go burn some fireworks.

I'd rather have varied and reliable thrust characteristics.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Master Modeler

GH, from what I've been reading, it sounds like the B14 adds an addtional risk to the manufacturing process. I'm more concerned with safety issues for Carl and Co., over my need for thrust options. If Carl thinks it can be made safely, then by all means...crank 'em out! I've never used a motor that size, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing. Was the B8 be a suitable replacement?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

The B8 was OK, as was it's brother the C5, but I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Other people swear by them, however.

In 1972-73, Trip Barber tested a number of B14s and B6's on MIT's test stand (one of fairly modern design, though it recorded onto pen/paper instead of to a computer), and there wasn't much difference between the two types! The B14s did have twice the max thrust, but it must've been a very quick spike, as the average thrust remained around 6 newtons. Earlier English unit Estes B3's did measure closer to spec, having a max thrust almost two pounds more than the 14s, with an average thrust of 15 newtons. I think the difference may have been the increased grain diameter of the newer motors (0.5" vs 0.41") didn't allow as deep a core as the old B3s.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
So here is my commitment to you....
Steve
And our commitment to you is that we will not offer them for sale unless you feel the same way AFTER we have them.

Thanks for the confidence in us. It goes a long ways.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Not to be a spoil sport or a stick in the mud, but I really wish the hobby would get away from the emphasis on "effects" motors.
We spent a lot of time in the late 60's working on a dense white smoke or bright orange smoke. The purpose was to provide a "signature", so everyone would know just after launch that the rocket was powered by Semroc. We would still like that, but a reliable delay is the first priority. Our white smoke had the drawback that the volatiles would evaporate over time, shortening the delay. The orange smoke is really messy and when it is bright and looks the best, has the very nasty habit of going out!

My goal is to eventually get back to the Estes smoke of the late 60's and early 70's, dense dark yellow with very low "cookoff" after delay burnthrough. And that super sulphurous smell that mixes with Johnson's Baby Powder and makes a unique smell that is so 60's. Now THAT is an effect!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
GH, from what I've been reading, it sounds like the B14 adds an addtional risk to the manufacturing process. I'm more concerned with safety issues for Carl and Co., over my need for thrust options. If Carl thinks it can be made safely, then by all means...crank 'em out! I've never used a motor that size, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing. Was the B8 be a suitable replacement?
It will be safe. When you get older, you take fewer chances. We will drill the B8 as well. Our machine is not like Mabel.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com