Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Old BAR

Default Empire Ajax for sale

Hey, check out the Empire Ajax for sale on Ebay. Pretty good price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...mMakeTrack=true

I have one on the pile, but have not built any of his old stuff. Are they good kits? Do they fly well?
Just curious
Allen
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

I've built one, and it flies very well though I'd suggest using a heck of a lot more shock cord than is provided. IIRC, there was only about a foot of elastic hanging out the end of the tube to attach to the nose.

Seems to be a typo on the Ebay listing, though--the original seller didn't "lack" poor customer service--he was downright reeking in it .

--Chan Stevens
Old 08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
GET GOONY!!

This kit is really not to scale. The tubes are incorrect diameters, and based on my emails to the guy who made these, the lengths may be off as well. I would usggest buying one of Sandman's kits instead. They are much better!!

I actually have a decal drawn up for this kit. The guy who sold them wanted me to print them for him just before he dropped off the face of he earth....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
This kit is really not to scale. The tubes are incorrect diameters, and based on my emails to the guy who made these, the lengths may be off as well. I would usggest buying one of Sandman's kits instead. They are much better!!

I actually have a decal drawn up for this kit. The guy who sold them wanted me to print them for him just before he dropped off the face of he earth....

Phred

All good to know, especially about the decals. I wonder if the lengths could be made more scale by cutting some on the tubes. I agree Sandman's kit is right on scale, but could this one be salvaged and made 'more scale'?
I bought this several years ago on Ebay when the guy was selling out. I think he had something like 3 left. He responded to questions well enough, but it took him several weeks to get me the kit. From what I've heard about Empire, I should count myself lucky I even got what I paid for! I think his name is Vinn; Note there is no recovery system in this particular kit. Funny, mine has one...........
I have Sandman's, though, so I'll enjoy his true scale kit, when I finally can get to it !
Allen
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
BP Mafia

One word: BOMARC

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
All good to know, especially about the decals. I wonder if the lengths could be made more scale by cutting some on the tubes. I agree Sandman's kit is right on scale, but could this one be salvaged and made 'more scale'?
I bought this several years ago on Ebay when the guy was selling out. I think he had something like 3 left. He responded to questions well enough, but it took him several weeks to get me the kit. From what I've heard about Empire, I should count myself lucky I even got what I paid for! I think his name is Vinn; Note there is no recovery system in this particular kit. Funny, mine has one...........
I have Sandman's, though, so I'll enjoy his true scale kit, when I finally can get to it !
Allen

Dude...the Roachwerks is not true scale either, though it's awfully darned close. Whenever I try to work a Roachwerks kit into an NAR true scale competition, I wind up driving Sandman nuts with all the nit-picky gotchas. For the casual or sport scale modeler, though, they are OUTSTANDING and in no way should they be mentioned in the same category as the evil Empire...

--Chan Stevens
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Three words (with a link):

Bill's Bomarc Dance
Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Old BAR

Quote:

Is the Empire Bomarc a bad kit also? I have one of those on the pile, as well.........
Allen
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 AM
BP Mafia

The finished product looked nice.
Then came the flight.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...mp_bomarc.shtml
You be the judge.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
The finished product looked nice.
Then came the flight.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...mp_bomarc.shtml
You be the judge.

Bill,
Sounds to me like a trim problem, for sure. What a shame!
The Estes Bomarc glider is supposed to balance at a point even with the placement of the main wing antennae, and it looks to be similar in size to the Empire. I don't have the model in front of me, as I'm at the lab (also still finishing it; just got the decals from Phred; have a thread on it here in projects section). Should fly fine, as the one I built when I was 13 was lost to the tallest oak tree next to the field; glided right into it ! I climbed trees a lot back then, but this was way too high!
Wow, on reading those threads about Empire, I'm amazed at all the $ he(Vinn) made off with.
Too bad.
At least the Hawks Hobbies Bomarc seems to fly nicely (also on the build pile ).
I have not seen the Madcow version fly.
Allen

addendum: Measured the Estes KM-5 Bomarc to get some idea of its cg: 18 inch long body tube; balance point is supposed to be about 9.5 inches from the bottom of the BT, or about 53% up the BT. Could this translate roughly to the Empire 1/24 Bomarc? If so, then the Evil Bomarc you flew would have been excessively nose heavy. What do you think?

Last edited by jetlag : 08-20-2008 at 06:57 AM.