Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
BP Mafia

Default Estes Citation Patriot project

This was another of those projects that I started last winter and am finally getting around to finishing. I repainted it yesterday, correcting an earlier paint job that somehow went bad on me. Today when I got home I tried printing out the decals from Kurt's Decal Page on YORF. They looked great on the test printing, so I loaded two sheets of inkjet decal paper and had a go at them. Unfortunately, what looked so great on regular paper didn't transfer well to decal paper. (Through no fault of Kurt's, mind you.) Apparently I need to experiment with my printer settings, because the decals came out noticeably faint. I put the large "eagle" decal back through and tried to print one on top of the other, but they were off by about 1/2".
Tonight I was scurrying around doing work on several projects and got all of them to a point where they just needed to be left alone to sit and cure. I sat down and cut out the fin decals for the Patriot and applied one. Just as I thought, they were very weak and almost transparent. While I was sitting there stewing about it, I realized that this would be a perfect opportunity to try doubling up the decals. I carefully placed one atop the other and my problem was solved. It takes a little time to get them to line up correctly, but the results are a huge improvement. No pics just yet, but I should have the rocket completed tomorrow, so I promise some then.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM
BP Mafia

I still have one decal to apply, but the launch lug is slightly out of place and I'll need to do some trimming to get things to fit. Still and all, this looks pretty good from a distance. Anything closer than ten feet and some problems show pretty clearly, especially with the eagle decal. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Old-Timer

Default Looks Good!

Hey Bill, that Baby is looking mighty good!

Now you've got my wheels gringing... At last fall's NemRoc (where I got to interview Jim Flis, for those who caught it in Launch #04), I had picked up a set of Phred's (that's Excelsior Rocketry, to those unfamiliar with this rocket Artist!) Patriot decals at the 'raffle' near the end of the day. I haven't even begun any work on it.

Truth be told, I got bit by the 'Goonie' bug, and started (No, didn't finish That either!) a Nike Goonie which had me going for a while.

I know, it's not a rocket untill it's in flyable condition. I'm working on a lot!

'Nuff said. Well done, Bill.
N.A.R. #26298 L1
Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
BP Mafia

Default Speaking of Goony's.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketking
Hey Bill, that Baby is looking mighty good!

Now you've got my wheels gringing... At last fall's NemRoc (where I got to interview Jim Flis, for those who caught it in Launch #04), I had picked up a set of Phred's (that's Excelsior Rocketry, to those unfamiliar with this rocket Artist!) Patriot decals at the 'raffle' near the end of the day. I haven't even begun any work on it.

Truth be told, I got bit by the 'Goonie' bug, and started (No, didn't finish That either!) a Nike Goonie which had me going for a while.

I know, it's not a rocket untill it's in flyable condition. I'm working on a lot!

'Nuff said. Well done, Bill.

Not to hijack my own thread , but I've also been on something of a Goony kick lately. All my Star Snoop needs is some red-eye, the Zoom Broom needs only nose weight, the Galaxy Guppy needs paint and decals, and the Sky Shriek review made the most recent EMRR update.
http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...sky_shriek.html
For some reason it's listed as a Custom bird (!?), but I'm pretty sure it's Estes.
Enjoy!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Dazed and Confused

Bill,

You need that one for flying, but you need to get some ALPS printed decals and build yourself a hanger queen for display. The very colorful ALPS decals with Future Floor Polish clear coat make the Citation Patriot one of the most beautiful 3FNC rockets ever.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Bill,

You need that one for flying, but you need to get some ALPS printed decals and build yourself a hanger queen for display. The very colorful ALPS decals with Future Floor Polish clear coat make the Citation Patriot one of the most beautiful 3FNC rockets ever.

Yeah, I've always thought so. I've got a feeling that we haven't seen the last of the Patriot. If Estes is serious about "bring backs", this one has to be among the chosen. Too much going for it not to be.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Yeah, I've always thought so. I've got a feeling that we haven't seen the last of the Patriot. If Estes is serious about "bring backs", this one has to be among the chosen. Too much going for it not to be.

I hope so. I'd like to get one as my flying model and retire the clone I made with the ALPS decals. The gold around the eagle is stunning from the ALPS printer. If Estes makes some water slide decals that look anywhere close to the ALPS ones I'll definitely be impressed.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
...Still and all, this looks pretty good from a distance...
The first pic looks great; The decal flaws will allow you to launch it without worrying about it. I've always liked this bird, never built one, but recently got parts from estes to build one.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org