Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Wadding

I went through a ton (maybe just a gallon) of cotton-ball type wadding on some Scout flights this weekend. Stuff never seems to return for re-use. Don't much like the idea of it turning up in someone elses garden, or pool (even worse). Have heard of using lettuce (probably acts like a water-laden cargo), but I would rather eat it. Maybe stale popcorn, seriously, nobody wants to eat that! I use nomex on the larger scales, but what are safe alternatives for smaller rockets. Teflon pom-poms too much labor. Ideas are welcome.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Master Modeler

I see a lot of fellow rocketeers in the Houston and east Texas areas using "dog barf" that can be bought very cheaply at home building supply stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and
they'll last for years... I still prefer to stick with the standard Estes tissue wadding due to
the fact that counting the "squares" makes for an excellent "measuring" tool depending
on the diameter of the rocket's bodytube. Plus, on some of the "larger" diameter model
rockets (like the now OOP Phoenix, or other BT-80 size models), the wad of wadding usually
falls fairly close to the model on recovery, and I make a point to recover the used wadding
as well for reuse. In comparison, dog barf will "snow" down on you and others depending
where you are; I've seen dog barf raining down for several minutes on occassions...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
GET GOONY!!

I have lots of 'dog barf, estes wadding, and quest. I prefer the ESTES as well. It is just my preference I guess.....I use the almost weekly Michael's coupons to buy wadding at 40% off list.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Out To Launch

I like the Quest blue colored wadding. The larger, stiffer squares makes it easier to seal to the tube sides on larger diameter rockets like my Big Daddy. Of course, I prefer Estes wadding for mini engine and small diameter 18mm rockets. I've never really tried anything else.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

In the past I used toilet paper or paper towel due to much lower cost, but the ignitability/smoldering factor got me away from it. I now use either Estes wadding, Nomex heat shields, baffles, or Dawg Barf.
I only use the Estes wadding from the flite-paks, I never buy it, as the price (even with the 40% off Hobby Lobby and Michael's coupons) is downright ******* for the amount of product supplied.
One thing I have tried recently is one/two squares of flame proof estes wadding on top of paper toweling in the larger models; it has worked well so far for over a dozen launches....the flameproof wadding protects the paper towel from igniting, which protects the chute.
Although this works, dawg barf either alone or in combo with a baffle is much less hassle.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Master Modeler

Does anyone know what gookum Estes puts on its wadding to make it flame-proof?

I once read that it was a borax mixture.

If the stuff is easy to make, I'd like to use it to make paper towels into wadding, for big models.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Flame retardant

I had seen a spray during the Xmas season for Xmas trees. Supposed to spray it on to deter fires. Now that I'm back into rocketry, I can't seem to find it anywhere (have to wait til the season). I had thoughts on the same thing - paper towel ply. If it works - no more wadding worries. If there are more readily available (inexpensive) fire retardant chemicals (non-toxic, non-carcinogenic) I would love to here about it.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Non-toxic, non-carcinogenic fire retardants ??
You are joking right ?
Most chemicals that do their intended purpose well are no good for human exposure/consumption.
This is true of most fire retardants, and is ESPECIALLY true of any of the decent WORKING/LONG LASTING insecticides of the past (of which virtually all have been banned ) Fortunately I stockpiled most of what I call "the good ones" just before they were banned !
Personal use of most insecticides is grandfathered for several years after their sale becomes illegal.
Not sure about what commercial fire retardants are still available for personal use, but I do know most of the insecticides sold today are chrysanthemum-derived RUBBISH not worth the bottle they are contained in. The only really good ones left to the non-commercial public are Methoxychlor, Vapona (also known as DDVP and is very hard to find other than at TSC stores), Sevin, and Malathion.
Most chemicals (just like AP rocket propellant) that really WORK well have a certain DANGER component associated with them

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 08-15-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Master Modeler

I looked it up myself. This recipe was given for making Halloween costumes fire-retardant:

Borax, 7 oz.
Boric acid, 3 oz.
Water, 3 quarts.

I'm going to start with that. I'll dry the dipped sheets on a laundry rack.

Boric acid is a drugstore type chemical, used as a disinfectant; borax is used for blasting out laundry stains.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Does anyone know what gookum Estes puts on its wadding to make it flame-proof?

I once read that it was a borax mixture.

If the stuff is easy to make, I'd like to use it to make paper towels into wadding, for big models.

Boric Acid. That's what I recall Vern saying when someone asked him this question at NARCON 2005.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558