Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,744
Default Estes Majestic PS II E2X Kit

I have assembled an Estes Majestic kit.

This is the second Estes PS II E2X kit I have finished.

It was easier to assemble than my previous PS II E2X model (Ascender) due to the fact that the fins halves are already glued together.

I assembled the model with CA and 30 minute epoxy adhesives. My only alteration to the kit was the addition of a Semroc ejection baffle (EB-20). I had to sand down the rings a little to get the baffle to fit in the body tube.

I look forward to flying it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Majestic 9707 01.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  87.3 KB  
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,047
Default

Glad to know that an EB-20 can be made to fit these. Need to retrofit my Majestic, or if not that put one in an Ascender when I get that one.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 PM
frognbuff frognbuff is offline
Aggressor Aerospace
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 198
Default

Have you flown a Majestic yet? I'm wondering why E15-6 is recommended but E15-8 is not. The Majestic is very light, and I'm surprised the extra two seconds of delay make such a difference. Then again, I haven't flown an E15 or F15 yet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I have assembled an Estes Majestic kit.

This is the second Estes PS II E2X kit I have finished.

It was easier to assemble than my previous PS II E2X model (Ascender) due to the fact that the fins halves are already glued together.

I assembled the model with CA and 30 minute epoxy adhesives. My only alteration to the kit was the addition of a Semroc ejection baffle (EB-20). I had to sand down the rings a little to get the baffle to fit in the body tube.

I look forward to flying it soon.


I hope you have better luck with your first flight with your Estes Majestic than I did today. Yesterday, I also assembled mine with the recommended CA and 30 minute epoxy used sparingly following all the assembly instructions. I used the recommended first flight engine, F15-6 and the PSII wadding, starter and plug.

I flew in calm conditions with rod close to vertical. The smile in the picture was short lived. Shortly after it came off the rod it went unstable and cartwheeled through the air for a pretty good distance landing between my vehicle and the vehicle parked next to me and was damaged when it thumped on the ground and ejected it chute near the spectators standing nearby.

I'll be contacting Estes soon to request a different PSII kit. I'm really not comfortable repairing mine and flying it again.

Perhaps yours will fly better since you have the added weight up front with the Semroc baffle on yours. I ran it through OpenRocket last night and it didn't show stable without added nose weight but I ignored that thinking it was a data entry problem on my end and it should be stable since I assembled the Majestic per the instructions without any modifications.



.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0098.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  203.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0101.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  217.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0108.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  111.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0109.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  105.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0110.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  89.6 KB  
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 10-12-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 PM
JumpJet's Avatar
JumpJet JumpJet is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
I ran it through OpenRocket last night and it didn't show stable without added nose weight



Can you please post your Open Rocket File for this model. I did a RockSim on it and it showed it to be plenty stable even with a heavy G80 motor in it.

John Boren
Estes R&D
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,047
Default

My Majestic has two flights on it - both F15-6s and both quite nice. My fins are on backward but the difference is very slight. It's otherwise dead stock.

Both flights were nice and straight with a gorgeous long, straight boost. It carried an Estes Altimeter on the second flight (which would've helped stability) but didn't on the first.

My notes say the ejection was a touch late on the first flight so I'd think an 8 second delay would be too much.

Oh - before you ask: 1307 feet.

Second afterthought: for what it's worth it was flown from a six foot long 1/4 inch rod.
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Glad to know that an EB-20 can be made to fit these. Need to retrofit my Majestic, or if not that put one in an Ascender when I get that one.


You will need to 'notch' the baffle rings in order to get it to slide past the shock cord mount.
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,744
Default

Sorry to hear about your Majestic 'flight', Steve.

I'll be flying mine next Sunday. I will post pictures.

BTW, nice hat.
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 AM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
My Majestic has two flights on it - both F15-6s and both quite nice. My fins are on backward but the difference is very slight. It's otherwise dead stock.

Both flights were nice and straight with a gorgeous long, straight boost. It carried an Estes Altimeter on the second flight (which would've helped stability) but didn't on the first.

My notes say the ejection was a touch late on the first flight so I'd think an 8 second delay would be too much.

Oh - before you ask: 1307 feet.

Second afterthought: for what it's worth it was flown from a six foot long 1/4 inch rod.


My Ascender flew one flight with the F15-6 just before I flew the Majestic and I couldn't agree more, quite nice! I flew four of the F15-6 engines with 6 and 8 second delay, and one with zero delay yesterday. These new engines are great. The Ascender / F15-6 combo is just perfect and rocket was recovered just a short distance from the pad since we had minimal winds.

Thanks, you always post your altimeter flight data (and you knew I would ask).



.
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 AM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Sorry to hear about your Majestic 'flight', Steve.

I'll be flying mine next Sunday. I will post pictures.

BTW, nice hat.


It's become my standard launch hat. I forgot to stick my NAR and Tripoli pins in it before I left the house though.

I have several hats I could reach for on launch day but I always seem to grab the EnerJet hat!

Also good to know about the EB-20. I figured that was the one you used from one of your other posts. I need to pick up a few from Semroc.



.
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2017