Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Master Modeler

Next up is to place the decals. I haven't done that yet because I just applied a clear coat over the decal set. The instructions tell you to place them and to coat them. Id suggest that the clear coat instruction come first just to avoid any confusion.

I noticed that the decals on the model on Steve's site aren't all the exact same ones that come with the kit. Two on Steve's model you don't get and two that come with the kit aren’t on Steve's model Those are two yellow circles with red boarders. Not a big deal, just an observation.

It's a great kit and a very enjoyable build! After I place the decals I’ll balance it before the maiden flight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  decals.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  66.1 KB  

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM
steely eyed missile man

Wow! I like it better than mine!! Great job. Love the camo. Bravo Zulu!

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Master Modeler

That's awful nice of you to say Steve, but your model looks oh I'd say maybe in the neighborhood of a thousand times better.

I have got to get myself an airbrush, and probably more importantly I then need to learn how to use it.

It's raining here in MA this morning but I'm still hoping that sometime this afternoon I can get the V-23 in the air. I'll check in this evening with an update on the balancing and launch attempt either way.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Master Modeler

THAT is a BAD paint job???
Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 PM
steely eyed missile man

Cas let us know where the CG-CP is and the amount of nose weight you used. It then can be added to the instructions.

Best of luck on the first flight!

We wait.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
THAT is a BAD paint job???

LOL - It's not what I was going for. I really wanted to go with something similar to what Steve did on the original. It was comical trying to do that with the good ole rattle cans. .

Unfortunately I wasn't able to launch today. It's been raining all day long and then it started snowing. We aren't even past Halloween yet and this is the second time it's snowed in just a few days. I'm going to have to push the launch off to sometime later in the week or next weekend.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Master Modeler

I've always been partial to the sharp lined jagged camo like the early Maxi Brute V-2. Your V-23 looks cool as *poop*!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I've always been partial to the sharp lined jagged camo like the early Maxi Brute V-2.

This gives me a chance to trot out a couple of pictures from my small but slowly growing collection.

I think you mean the one in the first picture. If so I agree that is a very cool look. I actually like it better than the paint scheme on the newer Maxi Brute V-2 E-powered or smaller Estes version. Although truth be told I like all V-2's regardless of style or paint configuration.

You will notice another very nice camo paint job on the model to the far right in the third picture. I think you know the guy who designed that one very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Maxi-V2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  100.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Maxi-V2 E-Powered.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  81.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  V2 Smaller Version.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  106.1 KB  

Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
This gives me a chance to trot out a couple of pictures from my small but slowly growing collection.

I think you mean the one in the first picture. If so I agree that is a very cool look. I actually like it better than the paint scheme on the newer Maxi Brute V-2 E-powered or smaller Estes version. Although truth be told I like all V-2's regardless of style or paint configuration.

You will notice another very nice camo paint job on the model to the far right in the third picture. I think you know the guy who designed that one very well.

Wow... Three of the ORIGINAL ones! I have 1 of those kits, and like 10 of the newer ones. I need to get off of my butt and sell a couple of the newer ones and buy one of the older ones. The original artwork on that box is SO much nicer than the newer one... The newer Maxi Brute packaging actually has a picture of the Estes BT-80 one! Someone was lazy about building a new photo model I guess Nice picture! At this point you have exactly the same number of Fake Wulf kits that I have!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The original artwork on that box is SO much nicer than the newer one... The newer Maxi Brute packaging actually has a picture of the Estes BT-80 one! Someone was lazy about building a new photo model I guess Nice picture! At this point you have exactly the same number of Fake Wulf kits that I have!

I agree one hundred percent. The box art on the original Maxi-Brute is very cool.

Thanks for the heads-up on the box art for the E-Motor version. I had never noticed that the picture was of the BT-80 version and not the version in the box. The fins are a dead give-away if you are paying attention, which obviously I wasn't.

I'm not surprised that you only have one Fake Wulf. There's a simple reason for that - everybody wants them!