Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Gyroc

I downloaded the plans for the old Estes Gyroc kit and built a pretty faithful version of it from components I had lying around. I notice that when launching it on an A8-3 the smoke trail shows that it spirals on the way up. Looks like two full revolutions (maybe more) on the ascent. Is that normal? Do the little tabs that hold the flaps in place cause that? Or do you think my flaps are just off-center enough to cause the spiral? The flaps look straight, but that spiral is wicked and I think it is way too pronounced to be caused by two little tabs.

Anyway, the helicopter recovery is picture perfect so no complaints there. I didn't tell my wife how it worked before the launch and she was quite impressed watching it come down.

I wonder how big you could make a Gyroc and still have it helicopter down safely?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus-cat
Estes Gyroc...I notice that when launching it on an A8-3 the smoke trail shows that it spirals on the way up. Looks like two full revolutions (maybe more) on the ascent. Is that normal? Do the little tabs that hold the flaps in place cause that? Or do you think my flaps are just off-center enough to cause the spiral? The flaps look straight, but that spiral is wicked and I think it is way too pronounced to be caused by two little tabs.

Probably a little of both. The flaps may not be perfectly aligned, or there might be some flexing under the strain of whatever elastic thread you're using. Depending on the size of the hold-down tabs, you might be getting enough deflection there to push it a little. One wing may have a slight warp, or it might not be absolutely straight along the body...

Any number of minor deflections could account for it. Sounds like you've got a good-flying Gyroc, in any event. I'm going to be trying out one that I just finished building last week. Not even primered yet, but I might do that tomorrow and have it ready for Saturday...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I wonder how big you could make a Gyroc and still have it helicopter down safely?

Build lightly and call for a heads up flight.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

interesting thread at the right time, lol .... as I have a Gyroc in the que for the 'next batch' .

( yes, I;m obsessed, lol...aren't we all, stayed up waaay to late tonight already, since I have to work tommorrow, watching old movies - Dragonheart, which I've not only seen a million times, I own it, lol... but was a good excuse to stay up and sand rockets, lol ) .

Anyways, I have my fins all cut out, cone glued to the tube, rest to come...

note: the cone I'm using is from an original vintage Gyroc built by long time childhood friend Steve Strope (Pure Vision, any hot rodders might recognize the name :-) .... I still have one wing/ fin that I was going to use for patterns, but since it was just as easy to download / print them from Jim Z's - then no variances from sanding,etc.

Any tips or tricks I should know about before / while I start on the project ?

anyone ever mask and paint one with the yellow one side / blue on other catalog scheme, looks like a lot of careful masking, might be game, we'll see. lol .....

~ AL
Old 09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:

At NARAM-48, Marc McReynolds flew a BT-80 size Gyroc on a D12.

Nice, straight boost. Very nice helicopter recovery. He designed the tip of the nose cone to be impact absorbing.

Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

The trick is to get it about the same density. I've seen it done properly, but more often than not, i've seen them come in like either bricks, or feathers.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Here is my Gyroc. The opposite side has the colors reversed. The color scheme really helps you spot the rocket on descent as even on an A8-3 the little guy pops out of sight.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:50 AM
The Rocketry Blog

My Gyroc sometimes will spiral slightly on the way up. Really depends on how the tabs fit around the motor casing. I love to fly mine.
Here she is:

You can read more here
Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Smile

I have yet to finish mine.

This baby is old:

Wonder when it will be done

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino

Last edited by Leo : 09-15-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I took a real carefull look at mine and I think flying it a few times has altered the flap positions a little. One of them seems really out of whack. Looks like I need to adjust the tabs a bit.

Both of your rockets look very nice Leo and lessgravity.