Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Buzz Aldrin sues his kids

Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Master Modeler

Sad and aggravating. It is a real dilemma; old people can lose their competence, but there are plenty of cases where youngsters of famous people get greedy and arrogant about the legacy entrusted to them.

Something similar has been going on with Stan Lee of Marvel Comics fame. His daughter and various agents are accused of exploitation and abuse. No one is sure who is controlling Lee's Twitter feed.

i hope that fair-minded trustees are assigned in both cases.

My parents set up living trusts that contain their various real estate and financial accounts; the specifies how the funds will be split up (an even cut for each kid in our case). The time to set these up is when you still have all of your marbles. Costs a few thousand, but worth it to prevent probate costs and legal shenanigans.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

It's a shame when these things happen. But I'm putting my money on Buzz. What judge is going to rule against the second man to walk on the moon?? And besides, he's got all of his marbles. Wasn't it just last year that he became the oldest man to pilot a plane with the Thunderbirds acrobatic team?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:50 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 for siding with Buzz !
I thought it was great when he decked that reporter that accused him of faking the moon landing.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
+1 for siding with Buzz !
I thought it was great when he decked that reporter that accused him of faking the moon landing.

Oh yeah! Buzz just said 'enough is enough'. The guy actually called him a liar!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Yeah, that guy deserved that knuckle sandwich Buzz fed him!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:58 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yep, he gave him the ol' "Fist Bonewich" !
Schmuck deserved a second helping of that from Buzz.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-24-2018, 10:31 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Oh yeah! Buzz just said 'enough is enough'. The guy actually called him a liar!

Yep, saw that one... the guy deserved an @ss beating-- lucky all he got was a shot in the mouth (which he ROYALLY deserved for how he was acting! IMHO MORE people nowdays need a shot in the kisser when they're being a stupid-@ss...)

He asked the guy to get out of his face then told him to get out of his face and he kept standing there INSULTING him... he deserved everything he got and GOOD FOR BUZZ! You GO, boy!!!

Later! OL J R
Old 06-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Master Modeler

I feel sorry that it seems his family doesn't have the time or inclination to just listen to him in regards to HIS legacy and that this has to go to such a public venue.
Buzz may be old and opinionated, but until his offspring have walked in his footsteps, maybe they should give him the benefit of the doubt?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
I feel sorry that it seems his family doesn't have the time or inclination to just listen to him in regards to HIS legacy and that this has to go to such a public venue.
Buzz may be old and opinionated, but until his offspring have walked in his footsteps, maybe they should give him the benefit of the doubt?

Yeah, I agree... it's maddening having an old and opinionated parent that might not be thinking at the top of their game (ie doing stupid sh!t) been there done that but it's just part of life...

Ultimately one has to keep in mind that while they still ARE among the living, and at least capable of expressing a cogent opinion that isn't dangerous or self-destructive, and they aren't being victimized by a controlling or manipulative person from the outside (or the inside, for that matter, as some family members can be quite controlling and manipulative... dealt with that as well). The thing is, you have to deal with things in a way that you don't BECOME the controlling person or perceived as the manipulative person, while still "looking out for them" and doing the best you can to protect them, even from themselves at times...

I can only imagine how much more difficult it can be when the older person is famous or a public figure, and has substantial financial assets...

Course, I sort of get the impression that Buzz's situation may be somewhat of a shambles... when I read about all his different "Enterprises" and "Foundations" and stuff, I could see where it could get extremely complicated, if not downright byzantine. Then of course there's the hangers-on and "future ex-wives" and that sort, and kids aren't beyond getting greedy and wanting to "get their hands on everything while they're still young enough to enjoy it", which is a temptation for people, particularly when they're getting older and feeling the effects of that while still having an extremely long-lived parent...

I know when I had to take the car keys away from my Grandmother, she wasn't very happy with me. But riding with her one day with 2 wheels in the middle of her lane, and the other 2 wheels out in the roadside grass, and asking her "what are you doing?? Your lane is over there!" and getting a response of "Well, I don't want to get too close to the line" when her wheels were off the pavement, it was clear that her driving days were done... While she was upset at first, when she figured out that WE (Betty and I ) would be doing all the errands and running around, that she could make out her grocery list and items she needed from the drugstore and fill out her bills and banking stuff (although the checkbook was the next thing that she had to give up, because she was making a hash of it, but that's another story) and we would be doing the actual going to town and doing all that stuff for her, she ate it up...

I did a double take when I read about his assertion they were "interrupting his romances"... WTH kind of "romances" do you have in your 80's?????? Course I guess if you still got it, go for it Buzz!!!

Just a sad situation and hope it all works out for the best for everyone involved... there DOES come a point in life though where you KNOW your days are numbered, and there aren't that many left, and what's the point of arguing over material things and money-- family is more important... you can't take it with you anyway... But Buzz has always struck me as the type that has a pretty big ego (and is entitled to one considering his talents and abilities and the things he's achieved in his life) and sometimes that's a hard thing to let go of, particularly when you get older and experience the stubbornness that comes with that...

Later! OL J R