Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Master Modeler

Losing easy access to 29mm Es and Fs is the biggest loss in the HL reset for me as well. But if they're not carrying anything to use them (no more Majestics, Ascenders, Star Orbiters) then I can see them not needing to carry the motors.

I'm really curious as to what is coming, though....as they are NOT blowing out C6-0s but have put them on the "new everyday low price" yellow sticker arrangement. Some moderately heavy two-stager must be coming soon, I would conclude from that.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Losing easy access to 29mm Es and Fs is the biggest loss in the HL reset for me as well. But if they're not carrying anything to use them (no more Majestics, Ascenders, Star Orbiters) then I can see them not needing to carry the motors.

I stocked up on F15s in the past year, kind of figuring that HL might not continue stocking the 29mm rockets and engines. But I didn’t buy that many E16s, and I only have one pack of F15-0 boosters. So at some point I’ll need to order some, probably from AC Supply. I just need to split an order with somebody so we can share the Hazmat fee. I’m not too excited to pay for it all by myself.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Fake Haz-Mat Care

I have a Nephew that drives for UPS and the extra fee for "Hazardous Items" is a joke !
They make loads of extra money off of it and do nothing different with those packages then they do with anything else.
I asked if they are put in a steel fireproof box on the truck or some kind of special fireproof container at all. Nope, just toss the box on the shelf with the rest of them.
They deliver fireworks, rifle primers, bulk cans of black-powder all just placed on the floor or shelf of the delivery trucks.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Launching since 1970.

They need to be placarded/marked properly so that IF there is a fire or spill they can be handled properly by the First Responders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaduck
I have a Nephew that drives for UPS and the extra fee for "Hazardous Items" is a joke !
They make loads of extra money off of it and do nothing different with those packages then they do with anything else.
I asked if they are put in a steel fireproof box on the truck or some kind of special fireproof container at all. Nope, just toss the box on the shelf with the rest of them.
They deliver fireworks, rifle primers, bulk cans of black-powder all just placed on the floor or shelf of the delivery trucks.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaduck

It does seems like a lot. It seems ridiculous if you order a few packs of "hazmat" motors.

My suggestion is to form a group buy with your local rocket club, and spread the cost of the hazmat fee out.

Or if you are an avid flier then budget for a big motor order ($200+) from AC Supply - with their 40% discount and a large enough order, you'll still be buying those big black powder motors for a nice discount.

I've never been much of a HL customer. There's none close to me, and I only been to one a few times. It's kinda "meh" for me. The alternatives are good.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-03-2019, 03:50 PM
The_Ripper

Not much left at my local HL store as far as kits, the shelves are really bare. None of the new HL kits have made their way here yet.
I did pick up some foam board for 40% off for making fin alignment guides and some upper stage E16 and F15’s for a good price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  897185AA-D274-4204-9A96-2A3A10FD166A.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  286.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates