Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

I saw The Martian again the other night. First time in a couple of months, enjoyed it again. Best movie I’ve seen in years. And yes, I saw “The Force Awakens” again, on Starz last night. Enjoyed that too, but the edge goes to “The Martian”.

I also went to see “Sully” the other day. Even though Tom Hanks and Director Cint Eastwood are at opposite ends of the political spectrum. I guess some could find an excuse to never see it because it’s a “Tom Hanks movie:", or because it is a “Clint Eastwood movie”. Whatever. I don’t give a crap that kind of thing.

I just wish Sully had been a better movie. Not bad, but not great. Don’t blame Hanks or Eastwood, it was the script, they did what they cold with what hey had to work with. Since it was a historical event and so much was known about it, though some was not, overall it was sort of a so-so “eh” kind of movie.

And that loops right back to The Martian, because it was an INCREDIBLE story. Anyone who has not read the book, ought to read it unless hey just hate reading books and don’t want to try the audio version. Has a lot more than the movie had time to include, and the narrative was in a format that worked better for reading, so it was trickier to pull off for a movie (which was done pretty well for the movie).
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 09-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Master Modeler

Yup, watched The Farce by Daisy 3 times now, twice yesterday once today and plan on again tonight.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Yup, this is an old post.
I finely bought "The Martian" movie.
Still love it and marvel in it.

Nuff said!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I watched it months ago on Sling. I thought it was a good movie. A lot better than "Oblivion". The critics have noted, while not perfect, one of the most accurate sci-fi films. And, it is hard to find a good sci-fi movie that deals with the human aspect of space travel. British sci-fi is like watching paint dry.
__________________________________________________ ____
Old 06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I watched it months ago on Sling. I thought it was a good movie. A lot better than "Oblivion". The critics have noted, while not perfect, one of the most accurate sci-fi films. And, it is hard to find a good sci-fi movie that deals with the human aspect of space travel. British sci-fi is like watching paint dry.
__________________________________________________ ____

You can say that again!!!

We liked the Martian... the only cringe-worthy scene in it was when he "fixed" his pressure chamber with a sheet of plastic and some duct tape... Keira and I *both* laughed at that one-- I even explained to her WHY it wouldn't work, and had her calculate the load that the duct tape and plastic sheet would have to bear (PSI of air pressure in the hab times #square inches of the circular hatchway that was taped up with film (pi r squared).

Still, FAR less "cringe-worthy" than the Mercury Atlas taking off horizontally across the ranch in "The Astronaut Farmer"... that one ticked me off, because it just RUINED the whole movie for me...

Later! OL J R
Old 06-29-2018, 01:23 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
You can say that again!!!

We liked the Martian... the only cringe-worthy scene in it was when he "fixed" his pressure chamber with a sheet of plastic and some duct tape... Keira and I *both* laughed at that one-- I even explained to her WHY it wouldn't work, and had her calculate the load that the duct tape and plastic sheet would have to bear (PSI of air pressure in the hab times #square inches of the circular hatchway that was taped up with film (pi r squared).

In the book, it's a high-tech composite canvas ("HAB Canvas") and special adhesives/tapes that would have been viable.

For the movie, yes, it looks like plastic sheeting and duct tape. I took it as representative of a higher-tech material that might exist in 25 years and didn't dwell on it. Don't go ask what the full size X-1 rocket plane in The Right Stuff was made out of... but it wasn't metal.

The little cameras that he recorded his diaries to were present-day GoPro cameras. No way would those be used in 25 years, GoPro indeed may still exist but NASA would not be using 25-year-old cameras n recently-launched hardware. But that didn't mess up the movie for me either. Because indeed we the audience mostly KNOWS what a GoPro camera looks like, while some move prop designer could go hog-wild and design some very futuristic camera that a lot of the audience might not recognize what the heck the thing is (or some unknown thing with a lens might be thought of by some as the camera for an AI like HAL-9000, rather than a passive camera system).

Actually, something from both the book and the movie, is what happened to those diaries? The written one in the book and the video files in the movie. Did Watney take the book's paper diary with him? Or a futuristic USB stick of all the diary videos he shot, stuck into a pocket of his spacesuit?

In theory once he made it to the ARES-IV, he then may have had the communication ability to transmit all that data back to Earth and/or the Hermes.

Of course for the book, there were no video diaries. The video diaries was the movie's way of conveying Watney's thoughts that were in the book , as well as Watney sometimes explaining in his video diaries various things that the book brought up in other ways (which was part of the trickiness of adapting the book to a movie. So the Video Diaries worked very well for that)

It would be nice if sometime during an interview, or panel Q&A with Andy Weir, he was asked about that (were Watney's diaries/videos left on Mars or brought/transmitted back?). Of course he did not write the movie screenplay, but he's a far better person to answer that, or retroactively invent an answer for that, than anyone else.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

True enough. I would hope they would take something useful to Mars and not just throw a box of 6 mil construction sheeting in the closet. Let alone plain duct tape. Which is only half as good as it used to be. I remember having duct tape that would not tear and had to be cut with a knife.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
True enough. I would hope they would take something useful to Mars and not just throw a box of 6 mil construction sheeting in the closet. Let alone plain duct tape. Which is only half as good as it used to be. I remember having duct tape that would not tear and had to be cut with a knife.

And it would hurt to pull it off your skin. Now days, I put it straight on my legs to remove tick larvae. Doesn't even remove more than a few individual hairs.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Mercury-Atlas going "Cruise Missile horizontal" in the "Astronaut Farmer" was the absolute BEST scene in that turd of a movie.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !