Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Yeah, I can understand the state being worried about "accidentally blowing up some Cub Scouts". What would Estes say; Oops? Maybe that's not such a good idea.

Let alone the nut-bags that would run up and try to touch Mabel. Or want to run it a while. Some of you guys are a bit fanatical...
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
AKPilot writes:

1) For years now, rocketry hobbyists have desired Estes' recognition of them as a valued customers. How does Estes, under your leadership, hope to bridge the gap between Estes as a toy company and a hobby related industry?
We already do that—I think we are the only company that lives in both worlds—and neither is fully happy with what we do—for every negative comments I hear about what you guys say—my people read this I guess—I get more from the toy guys who want me to be more toy oriented—you can’t imagine what some of the toy buyers want me to do with the line.

Boy - I'd LOVE to hear some of what the toy buyers want. Having seen what can happen when marketing people get involved in the product decision making process in another industry (the role playing game industry, to be specific), I shudder with what those yoyos would want to do with rocketry!

Greg
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I figured that was why they were making those one piece plastic tail sections and plastic engine mounts. So they would be more like a Revell model or something.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peartree
My wife LOVES weisswurshte (me too) but due to new food preparation codes here, it is almost impossible to get. I don't know about Barry, but the next time we're in Germany (it's been too long), we just might take you up on that.

Any time

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAllen
I am a little surprised that this is proprietary. I was just trying to see what direction Estes is going. Then again I guess this displays my utter lack of knowledge of big business practices.

Sorry that I broke the rules.

A proprietary mission statement from a hobby products company is just stupid. Mission statements are dumb enough as is; but keeping one secret? Frakkin' stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Boy - I'd LOVE to hear some of what the toy buyers want. Having seen what can happen when marketing people get involved in the product decision making process in another industry (the role playing game industry, to be specific), I shudder with what those yoyos would want to do with rocketry!

RPG fan? Whaddaya play?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
RPG fan? Whaddaya play?

Actually, I'm a pro designer - I co-wrote Star Trek: The Role Playing Game for FASA and worked on FASA's Doctor Who RPG. I've also written for D&D, Mekton and a little known (and even littler played) game called Cyborg Commandos. I now am a partner in a small game company called MicroTactix Games, and am the designer of the Plainlabel Role Playing System, including Simply Role Playing Game and Budget Battlefield Tabletop Miniatures Game.

Don't get to play much at all now - too busy (especially with rockets). Mostly I content myself with playing the MMORPG City of Heroes right now.

Greg
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Fascinating. I've run (and, sometimes, played) a variety of RPGs over the years. I'm the primary author of the "original" retro-clone game, Basic Fantasy RPG (basicfantasy.org) and a senior moderator on Dragonsfoot.org's forums.

... sorry for the digression, guys. gp, consider yourself invited to join us on DF for more old-school RPG goodness ... I'm called Solomoriah there also.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Actually, I'm a pro designer - I co-wrote Star Trek: The Role Playing Game for FASA and worked on FASA's Doctor Who RPG. I've also written for D&D, Mekton and a little known (and even littler played) game called Cyborg Commandos. I now am a partner in a small game company called MicroTactix Games, and am the designer of the Plainlabel Role Playing System, including Simply Role Playing Game and Budget Battlefield Tabletop Miniatures Game.

Don't get to play much at all now - too busy (especially with rockets). Mostly I content myself with playing the MMORPG City of Heroes right now.

Greg

Very nice Greg!!!

Used to play CoH, but its just been EQI/ EQII for the last well too long. I haven't logged on to play in six months, but Sony keeps charging my CC and keeping my two accounts alive ... I will go back, its just life is taking up my time.

I work in an indiustry hard hit by the recession/depression. As a result, I have to work twice as hard to bring home %15 less money ... we were given a rate cut in order to keep our jobs.

Well good to see you on-line here. Ya know, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, and Vanguard had potential but in the end WoW and EQ are the big boys on the block.

Bob
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspad
They're pretty good at misusing what's available now:

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2812/31/

Yea, but that sounds like it was apparently intentional (like that guy on YouTube who was holding an A3-4t while it fired). You can't do too much about that.

I'm talking about general, not-reading/following-directions type of stuff that could be more numerous. Using improper delays and therefore poking holes in other peoples' property. Using toilet tissue instead of estes wadding and setting a house or stand of trees on fire. that sort of thing.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
The attitudes towards Barry have come from years of neglect towards the relationship. Barry has given a HUGE olive branch though at this point, which is great. Better than anything we've seen before in the hobby.

I'm curious though why the state of Colorado shut down the tours of Estes. Couldn't they open a "front area" again where people could come in, see the kits, talk to Christine ( ), and see a bit of history from older kits in display cases? I could see them not permitting tours of the motor machines, but couldn't there be a "front-end" tour? Especially if there was a partnership with Vern and Gleda!!!

It is probably not directed at Estes, but a general insurance law that makes factory tours a problem.
I know Georgia and many other states have something like this on the books
Closed Thread