Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Here are the Semroc centering ring parts for Rocksim. This file should be considered a DRAFT until it can be reviewed and validated. Craig will give ok or post as master file.

Data for these parts was pulled from the Semroc web-site. If any of the parts or data seem inaccurate please let me know.

While importing and validating this file, I uncovered an issue with the import process. It appears that the material field entries much match capitalization for the part to imported correctly. If not the part is imported with an incorrect material. For example if the entry is "balsa" and not "Balsa" the part gets imported with the first entry in material database CSV (which is usually "G10 PML...".)

I'm including updated files with validated material spelling to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

... Bill

Bill,

Again, I'd like to thank you and Craig for the components files you have been working so hard to create. I downloaded these files and the LLDATA file in the other post.

I noticed you didn't repost the BTDATA file. Is this because there are no import issues with the BTDATA file?

Thanks!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Bill,

Again, I'd like to thank you and Craig for the components files you have been working so hard to create. I downloaded these files and the LLDATA file in the other post.

I noticed you didn't repost the BTDATA file. Is this because there are no import issues with the BTDATA file?

Thanks!

Steve,

Could you look through the data in these files and see if anything jumps out at you? We need another pair of eyes to see if anything obvious has slithered past ours. I know my eyes have gone blurry staring at spreadsheets, even though that's the only way to do this. I've already missed a few and caught a few, but that doesn't mean they're all clean and free.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Steve,

Could you look through the data in these files and see if anything jumps out at you? We need another pair of eyes to see if anything obvious has slithered past ours. I know my eyes have gone blurry staring at spreadsheets, even though that's the only way to do this. I've already missed a few and caught a few, but that doesn't mean they're all clean and free.

I plan to bring the laptop home again this weekend and I'll look them over. I've been using the files and updating some designs but I'll view them in spreadsheet form to see if I can notice anything obvious in the details.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Bill,

Thanks!

Steve, I've enjoyed working on these with Craig and sharing them with everyone.

Yes, I did not repost the BTDATA file as it looked ok when I reviewed it along with the others. The materials field entries looked ok.

Thanks,

... Bill
Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
The_Ripper

Default New Design -- Estes Omega 3-Stage Variant

Estes Omega 3-Stage Variant

First ..... I loved the original Estes Omega 2-stage rocket. I owned several of these and even used FSI conversion kits on one that I built to use F engines and never tired of flying the Omega. Why mess with such a great design? I've seen some rocketeers build a third stage for their Omega placing on the additional booster a set of the larger second stage fins of the original, and some using the smaller upper stage fins on the sustainer and second stage booster with only the larger fins on the first stage booster. Either way, the already overstable Omega becomes even more overstable and prone to weathercocking using D12's in all three stages.

I had intended to build this model using this RockSim file but never got to it. Less fin span and smaller fin area are what I went after to actually try to lessen the margin of stability since we are using twelve fins. The design is also stable in two stage configuration according to RockSim and it shows decent flights according to the simulations. Personally I like the streamlined look of the design.

Length: 35.75"
Diameter: 1.640" (BT-60)
Span Dia: 5.307"
Weight: 5.295 oz

D12-0 / D12-0 / D12-7 .......2,305'.........DV 5 FPS.........48" x 3/16" rod

You're going to need at least a 48" rod to fly this model and probably should upgrade the 1/8" launch lugs in the design to 3/16" to stiffen it up a bit since it weighs about 10oz loaded up for flight with three D12's. Dv is about 35fps with an E9-8 in the sustainer so I'm not recommending anything but D12's unless a payload is used to slow it down a little .....

I found this design on my back up disc. It's a RockSim v8 design and I didn't save over it so those of you with RockSim 8 should be able to use the attached file.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Omega 3-Stage Variant 3D Image Export.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  34.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Omega 3-Stage Variant RockSim Screen Print.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  328.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Estes Omega 3-Stage Variant.rkt (71.6 KB, 110 views)
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 01-11-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Steve,

So far I noticed no inaccuracies in the files I've had time to review .....

I'm going to look a couple more over tonight. Man, it's great to have all these new parts in RockSim. I wonder if Apogee will scoop these up and include them in a future update?

SAM# 0052

Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
So far I noticed no inaccuracies in the files I've had time to review .....

Ok, I found an issue with the units field values in the LLDATA file while working on a design. I actually forgot to add the "in" value for each of the parts!

I've attached the updated file.

I think were down to parachutes, streamers, and mass objects to complete Semroc parts set.

... Bill
Attached Files
File Type: csv LLDATA_Semroc.CSV (1.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Just another BAR!

Default New Plan -- Predator Advanced BGM-18M

Here is my first Rocksim v9 design. All but a couple of design components in design are from the Semroc part sets we've been collectively working on.

Optimal engine for this design seems to be the C6-5.

I used Jay's "screw-eye" trick to add some nose weight and extra stability to the design.

I think it could use a good set of military type decals. Hope you like it!

... Bill

Design Name: Predator Advanced BGM-18M

Length: 22.1"
Diameter: 1.64" (ST-16)
Fin Span: 4.498"
Weight: 2.841 oz

Engine Size: 18mm
Launch Guide Length: 36" x 1/8"

Motor......Max Altitude......Dep. Velocity

A8-3...........71.76 ft.........37.39 ft/s
B4-4..........223.26 ft.........24.10 ft/s
B6-4..........233.09 ft.........24.55 ft/s
C6-5..........668.50 ft..........2.55 ft/s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Predator Advanced BGM-18M 3D Left.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Predator Advanced BGM-18M 3D.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  22.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Predator Advanced BGM-18M.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  70.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Predator BGM-18M Sims.PNG
Views: 95
Size:  70.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Predator BGM-18M Design.PNG
Views: 101
Size:  94.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Predator Advanced BGM-18M.rkt (94.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Here is my first Rocksim v9 design. All but a couple of design components in design are from the Semroc part sets we've been collectively working on.

Optimal engine for this design seems to be the C6-5.

I used Jay's "screw-eye" trick to add some nose weight and extra stability to the design.

I think it could use a good set of military type decals. Hope you like it!

... Bill

Design Name: Predator Advanced BGM-18M

Length: 22.1"
Diameter: 1.64" (ST-16)
Fin Span: 4.498"
Weight: 2.841 oz

Engine Size: 18mm
Launch Guide Length: 36" x 1/8"

Motor......Max Altitude......Dep. Velocity

A8-3...........71.76 ft.........37.39 ft/s
B4-4..........223.26 ft.........24.10 ft/s
B6-4..........233.09 ft.........24.55 ft/s
C6-5..........668.50 ft..........2.55 ft/s

I agree, that C6-5 is the optimum motor in your list, and I would not recommend using any of the others. They are either at the edge of, or deep into, chute-shred territory. Getting about 670' on a C6-5 is good, though.

One thing I have to caution you on is the guide length. You call out a 36" x 1/8" rod, which is standard. However, you need to look at the flight summary. Double-click the line on the simulations screen where you flew the C6-5, and start reading through. You'll get to an area where it says "Launch Guide Data". RockSim says this design doesn't reach safe flight V until it's 38" up the rod. You're 2" short. This rocket needs a 48" x 3/16" rod using that motor, so that you get a full 38" of guide length. The extra won't hurt it.

Try simulating instead with the D13W-7. This is a composite D13 White Lightning. It jumps to velocity in only 20", reaches 1581', and has a Dv of just 5 FPS. Here is your optimum motor! Of course, it also has a Max V of 435 FPS, and an acceleration of 614 FPS/S. Really quick, but I think the TTW construction will hold up.

Good work for a RS9 first!

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Heeby Geeby

First off I would like to Thanks Craig, Bill and all other for all the great DATA files. Seems like we have more Semroc parts now than we ever did and know what to do with .

Well folks, I wanted to start off my first design in Rocksim 9 with something a little different . You could say at least that I found a design that finally uses the B4-2 and the B6-2. I have always like this name and it never seem to fit anything yet designed. The Cone is an BNC-70AJ with an 2.5" piece of BT-70. The motor mount tube is an BT-30K 2.34" long in which I plan on taping the 1"x18" streamer to for recovery and motor retention. All the parts are in hand from Semroc and the winter builds are under way. Now to pray for the patience in wainting for the Spring test flight.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Heeby Geeby (18mm)
Launch guide length: 36.0000 In

MOTOR.................MAX. ALTITUDE...........DEP. VELOCITY
B4-2..................155.03122 Ft..............2.1932 ft/s
B6-2..................152.38607 Ft..............1.9207 ft/s
C6-3..................296.17638 Ft.............24.8177 ft/s
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Heeby Geeby 2D Iamge.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  31.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Heeby Geeby 3D Image #1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  23.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Heeby Geeby 3D Image #2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  20.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Heeby Geeby Version 2.rkt (48.8 KB, 95 views)
Closed Thread