Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Master Modeler

An 18mm motor retainer will be available very soon. It is shown in this years catalog.

John Boren
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
The fin unit and the upper half are now available as replacement parts on the Estes website. The clear PFU is tailored to attach behind a 2" tube, so scratchers can use this to make "finless" models like a 2" (fill in the blank): Gemini Titan, Mercury Atlas ( with the plastic Mercury capsule set now also available), Polaris, Poseidon, MX missile, etc. etc.
Use four short dowel pins to secure the PFU along with an aluminum 18mm retainer, or make your own.
BTW does anybody else think that it would be great if Estes sold that plastic 18mm retainer used in this kit separately? I would buy a bunch of those. Laters.
I hope our resident Estesean D-503 (the Chief Designer, "Builder of the Integral" [spaceship], as he was called in Zamyatin's novel "We"--Tom Wolfe compared Sergei Korolev with D-503 in his book "The Right Stuff") noted the scale model subjects you listed above. Estes did once offer a Peacekeeper (MX) ICBM scale model, and I'd love to see--and buy!--scale kits of the other vehicles you listed (a Mercury-Atlas would also facilitate the creation of later Atlas D ICBM, Atlas-Able, Atlas-Agena B [and Atlas-Agena D], Atlas-Burner II, and Atlas-Centaur scale kits [possibly with same-scale models of historic spacecraft that they lofted]).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 AM
BAR

I've flown on C6-3, C12-4, D16-4. All stable flights, though the C6-3 did arc over quite a bit before deploying. It flies pretty squirrelly without the clear fin unit
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Master Modeler

We had three of these at yesterday's club launch. One flew on a C6-3 and it was a very nice straight flight. The second flew on an Aerotech D10-3. It got going in a hurry but appeared to tip off a bit. One of the fins was missing upon recovering it. Mine flew on a Q-Jet C12-4 and it was a nominal flight in all respects.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Add nose weight and fly without the stoopyd looking clear fins.
Use 18mm AEROTECH (not Quest) D10/13/21/24.
Against my better judgement, I bought one of these plastic things.
I intend to only fly on the D21 or D24.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Master Modeler

Well at least with that kind of power you can afford the nose weight that will be needed to make it stable.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Master Modeler

I just got a chance to review some of Jim Wilkerson's pictures taken at last Saturday's launch. I don't think the S-V that we though shed a fin on boost on a D10 did so after all. The "on the 'chute" shot shows all four fins.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

It looks like Estes has updated the 2160 Saturn V instructions on their website:

https://estesrockets.com/wp-content...60_SATURN-V.pdf

This takes into account getting the motor seated properly in the model.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Master Modeler

I was happy to see that. Hopefully they're stuffing printed versions in the boxes that are still in-house in Penrose....as well as getting that added to any subsequent production lots.

I am frustrated with that one guy over on that other forum who seems to be stuck on blaming Estes for their design/execution when it seems obvious that if the fins are loose, something's not right. And I'm equally frustrated with several who seems to think it's a Q-jet problem. It's not.

Now....I had a failure on the fifth flight of the one of these I've been flying. It came apart at the joint between the LM shroud and the S-IVB at ejection on a flight yesterday. The LM/shroud fell free and the LES broke off where it had been weakened after the first flight stripped 'chute incident (C6-3 that was old and really a C6-1 in operation). It appears to have been glued all around the circumference of the joint, so I don't know why it failed.

I'm going to leave it un-repaired while I try to come up with something to use to simulate the broken-off LES escape motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1183.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  1.28 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I was happy to see that. Hopefully they're stuffing printed versions in the boxes that are still in-house in Penrose....as well as getting that added to any subsequent production lots.

I am frustrated with that one guy over on that other forum who seems to be stuck on blaming Estes for their design/execution when it seems obvious that if the fins are loose, something's not right. And I'm equally frustrated with several who seems to think it's a Q-jet problem. It's not.

Now....I had a failure on the fifth flight of the one of these I've been flying. It came apart at the joint between the LM shroud and the S-IVB at ejection on a flight yesterday. The LM/shroud fell free and the LES broke off where it had been weakened after the first flight stripped 'chute incident (C6-3 that was old and really a C6-1 in operation). It appears to have been glued all around the circumference of the joint, so I don't know why it failed.

I'm going to leave it un-repaired while I try to come up with something to use to simulate the broken-off LES escape motor.

Maybe they used Testors in the orange tube!