Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Junior Rocketeer

yes all the old exotic nose cones! I can't wait to print the aquarius nose cone. how about some tubes for the cargo pods on the aquarius. ie put panel details and stuff on them to make it even nicer than the stock plain paper tubes design.

so much potential! once they are 3d we can scale them up and down.

I can print a half meter cubed in a single part !! and I have 4 printers that can do 400x400x500 !
Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
If anyone has a nose cone idea, they want to try out, and need some help getting it cadded up, I am very willing to help you create and print it. I am bored and running out of my own ideas, and want to keep playing with the cad program. So if anyone has some WILD or FANTASTIC idea they want created, just shoot me a line.

Scott,

One of the reasons I got into 3D printing was to allow me to easily make puller type designs. Think of a "Deuces Wild" with both motors mounted and ducted through the nose cone, I call it a hammerhead design. I also want to mount just one motor canted off vertical inside the nosecone and duct it down the body tube ( I call that one the sturgeon). While I was at it I considered 3 or even more nosecone mounted motors. Since all the weight is in the nose it should make for some stable and very interesting designs (fins on a narrow boom or even a hammer head shark shaped model). Besides canting the motors off the vertical a slight horizontal cant should make for some interesting spinning effects.

I also wanted to 3D print some Rocketarium oddroc designs like the Votico's and Rebel's . A 3D printed Rocketarium Toxic Typhoon or Terraformer would also be cool.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
[QUOTE=teflonrocketry1]When I got my Ender 2 3D printer the first thing I did was print the 3 modifications that everyone seems to suggest; a 1mm shim for the Z axis motor, a Vrail stabilizer for the Z axis lead screw

get rid of this. it will only cause you pain in the long run. the lead screw should never be locked down. ie do not "fix" the top end of the lead screw.

in a perfect world.... not a perfect world $200 printer.

by locking down the lead screw you turn your kinematics into "framing" since the lead screw is rigid. this means if the lead screw is not "PERFECTLY" straight and "perfectly" aligned with the vertical rail you will have 2 forces acting in opposition as the lead screw shimmies around and pushes and pulls on the vertical rail and by extension your X arm and carriage assembly

IE z banding. you can install the little bracket just make sure the hole for the lead screw is large enough that it can wiggle around a couple of mm's if it wants too this way it won't transfer force to the rest of the printer and therefore your print.

its one of the easiest mods to make to a tevo printer (tornado, michealangelo, flash) remove the 2 screws remove the bearing. leave the lead screw "free"

much better prints. this is why if you look on creality printer the lead screw appears restrained but if you touch it you will see it can "wiggle around" in that mount. that is good.

Chris,

I drilled out the V-rail stabilizer with a 3/8 inch bit. It is now just an open ring (essentially a bracket as you suggest) that limits the maximum deviation of the vertical z axis lead screw. I learned the hard way not to restrain the Z-axis lead screw. I can't believe there are so many people who have posted this useless modification that actually ruins the print quality of the Ender 2. I think I downloaded at least 5 different designs of these from Thingiverse.

I think the electrical wires that hang off the Ender 2 gantry get too heavy at about 20 inches into the print and over torque the Z axis drive motor. I am trying to figure out how to overcome this issue. I have attached pictures of the modified Ender 2 printer alongside an unmodified one (yes, that is a yard stick taped to the V-rail Z axis). On the picture with the 30 inch long nosecone 3D print in progress you can see the wire harness that is hanging down along the printer. The print was practically flawless until the nosecone fell off the printer bed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4390 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 35
Size:  473.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4407 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 39
Size:  482.9 KB  
Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

My NARAM C Egglofter was 100% 3D printed. On Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3056609

My other NARAM models were mostly printed as well - they'll be on Thingiverse as I get them written up.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp
My NARAM C Egglofter was 100% 3D printed. On Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3056609

My other NARAM models were mostly printed as well - they'll be on Thingiverse as I get them written up.

Gary,

Thanks for sharing this 3D printed model rocket design! I am working on building an enclosure for my 3D printer so I can print better parts from ABS filament.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 PM
Craftsman

Hey vcp, what are the flight characteristics on that egg lofter ? Engine and altitudes flown? Loved it when I first saw it pop up on thingiverse just a few days ago.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
Hey vcp, what are the flight characteristics on that egg lofter ? Engine and altitudes flown? Loved it when I first saw it pop up on thingiverse just a few days ago.

I only had the chance to fly it once at N60 with an Estes C6-5. That flight was in a light wind, off of an 18" piston with tower. The altimeter came back as 274 meters. Flight was very vertical and straight, but there seemed to be a small high frequency 'shimmy' in the smoke trail. It *may* have popped before apogee - I didn't have a good viewing angle on it.

Ah, just now for the first time since that flight I re-opened the OpenRocket file on it. The sim says 175 meters with an opt delay of 4.8 sec. However the weight there is 34 gm, while my actual weight was 21 grams - Looks like perhaps a C6-7 would have been a better choice.

I'm thinking I might build another one without gluing on the fin can. Then print perhaps three cans with different fin sizes, and tape on the fin cans for comparison flights. It's very easy to alter the fin size in the OpenSCAD code.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Craftsman

Did anyone read the most recent Apogee Components Peak Of Flight newsletter (issue 476)? This article gives my tips on making 3D printed model rocket parts with RockSim; no CAD program required!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I've just posted my printed NARAM-60 Payload model design to Thingiverse here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3061709
Old 08-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Craftsman

If anyone out there is like me and wanted to build a flying model of the Phoenix from star Trek First Contact, here is a nose cone I just finished in BT60 size. I hope you enjoy .

You can download it from here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2876174/edit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot_2018-08-23_16-54-10.png
Views: 48
Size:  73.2 KB