Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Outpost Voyager

Here is another design with the theme of a long distance interstellar traveler between planet outposts. Finally found a good use for the Semroc BC-1043. I think that that odd nosecone really makes this design look good and plan on using it more often. I did leave the Dv's a little high and on the early side of this design as she will probably be heavier that Rocksim says. It will also require a 48" and will use either B6-2 or C6-5.

Enjoy and Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Outpost Voyager 3D.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  13.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Outpost Voyager 2D.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  21.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Outpost Voyager.rkt (91.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Here is another design with the theme of a long distance interstellar traveler between planet outposts...

Nice design, as usual. This one begs to be built. It has the kind of lines that suggest it should still be a great model, even if it is a bit heavy. Reef the chutes...

One of these days next century maybe I can get some building time and work a copy up. Looks like it should be a good display model, too.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up Ditto!

Thanks Craig, I am glad you like it.
CPMcGraw Quote:
Quote:
One of these days next century maybe I can get some building time and work a copy up. Looks like it should be a good display model, too.

Ditto, here on my end as well. I just took a month or some and stopped with all the Rocksimming and went to building and painting. Now I am back to Rocksim and have taken a look at what I thought was complete and ready to post . What was I thinking (smacking forehead) they all need more work and in a bad way! Just needed a fresh set of eyes I guess.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Default Astro Sat LSX bash

Well, I am not sure if this is technically a kit bash -- I just stole the nose cone and tube, then added more tubes, sawed of cones, etc.

Attached are pctures of the work in progress, and the box art of the bashed kit. One of the most lame designs using a "Fighter" style nose cone I ever saw come out of Estes. But I bought two of them knowing I'd steal the cone for another project.

This one is a "one-off" -- no plans, I'm refinishing a dresser for my daughter, and decided to invent the build on the fly, between endless sanding I needed a diversion!. It will not be a high-flyer, I used the plastic motor mount out the Astro Sat LSX kit, which is an 18mm mount. (Kit had a fin unit that had glue-in fins, which I left out. The tube is a BT-56, which I glued into a BT-60, and then deformed the tube into an oval, so the outer tube looks like it forms engine intakes.

Will sand, and then primer the whole thing this week. Has been kind of fun to see what happens. I'd cut out a fin template, modify it, try different mounting locations, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  astrosat-boxT.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  17.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  jetroc.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  115.1 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Well, I am not sure if this is technically a kit bash -- I just stole the nose cone and tube, then added more tubes, sawed of cones, etc.

Attached are pctures of the work in progress, and the box art of the bashed kit. One of the most lame designs using a "Fighter" style nose cone I ever saw come out of Estes. But I bought two of them knowing I'd steal the cone for another project.

This one is a "one-off" -- no plans, I'm refinishing a dresser for my daughter, and decided to invent the build on the fly, between endless sanding I needed a diversion!. It will not be a high-flyer, I used the plastic motor mount out the Astro Sat LSX kit, which is an 18mm mount. (Kit had a fin unit that had glue-in fins, which I left out. The tube is a BT-56, which I glued into a BT-60, and then deformed the tube into an oval, so the outer tube looks like it forms engine intakes.

Will sand, and then primer the whole thing this week. Has been kind of fun to see what happens. I'd cut out a fin template, modify it, try different mounting locations, etc.

This cone had a couple of other turdly Almost RTF designs in its lifetime. One was the dual shuttle bird that had gliders that flew like leaves in the fall. I got one in the Designer's Special that I bought back in 2001 and I was p.o.'d. It gathered dust for most of the spring and I somehow eventually used it in an upscale of a Design Of The Month bird that I called the Marauder. (I think the Intruder was the name of the original plan.) It flew great and was lost after only a couple of flights, and I surprised myself by buying an AstroSat kit to bash into another one. That one is still flying, but showing its age.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Marauder in Akron.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  50.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Marauder on Grand.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  84.2 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up in my book. Nicely done gentlemen , very nicely done.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks James for the nice words... I've got to go back thru this thread (long!). I've spotted some pretty creative designs here and want a closer examination.

Bill -- nice! Is yours built for 18mm? I'd be afraid of never seeing mine again with anything more than a C. I tend to fly stuff like this a time or two, chicken out, and retire it to the top of the bookcase.

I seem to be in a sci-fi / fantasy rocket mood. Next may be the upscale Orbital Transport (got the decals!) and then maybe the Outlander customizations. I also found parts I'd started for another Saturn IV, slightly bigger than the plans call for (ala Peter Always' book).

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up About that fighter jet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR

This one is a "one-off" -- no plans, I'm refinishing a dresser for my daughter, and decided to invent the build on the fly, between endless sanding I needed a diversion!. It will not be a high-flyer,
Lee,

That looks *really* cool! Congrats on the "stream of consciousness" build!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Master Modeler

Lightbulb New Design: Cosmic Moon Ship

This is a new design that I call the Cosmic Moon Ship (18mm). These planes with the wings in a more forward position are difficult to get a posative static margin. Adding nose wieght helps but seems to really hamper the preformance in flight. I have added BT-3 tubes in pairs to the tail for looks. I have discovered that with any tube fins it is much easier to align them on the BT in pairs if I first glued together on a flat surface in pairs.

Thanks and Enjoy, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Cosmic Moon Ship Image 3D.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  11.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cosmic Moon Ship Image 2D.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  20.1 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Cosmic Moon Ship.rkt (79.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 PM

James,

Another very cool design. This is a fun thread to check in on periodically.

I've never gotten around to buying Rocksim, and all the great designs I've seen on this thread, plus the website, have me getting really close to placing that order. Problem is, I've got lots of old Estes classics to build, some ideas in my head, and all the designs posted here are making the problem get worse, not better!

I need to retire SOON and up the build rate!

Closed Thread